Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 2016 Airbag recall Model s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tesluv108

2023 M3 SR LFP, (plaid something, someday?)
Aug 29, 2020
Ohio
Hello, any model s owners out there who have had their passenger side airbag replaced recently under the attached recall? Did Tesla reach out to you or could you proactively schedule it? I wanted to get it done with frunk recall
IMG_1056.jpeg

Only the frunk is listed, I can’t assume Tesla completed this just because it’s not listed right? And they are so tight lipped about prior owner service records they probably won’t tell me.
If this shows nothing, the recall only affected "certain" vehicles, not all. If you got no recalls for this listed, yours has either been fixed or was not affected. This would be a Federal violation if there was a mistake with this lookup. You are good to go.

Reactions: tesluv108
Did Tesla reach out to you or could you proactively schedule it?
My mid-2016 MS90D was included in such a recall. Regarding notification or proactively scheduling it ...

Tesla did notify me that my car was included in the recall. This included an initial email notification making me aware my car was subject to the recall. I also believe that some time later there was a letter which I received. In the US, there are very specific rules around such recall letters needing to be sent, with the letters having to be done in very specific ways with very specific wording. Now I will say it's been a few years since I've been professionally involved in that process, but at least at the point this airbag recall happened, those rules still were applied.

However, I've never had Tesla then follow up and contact me proactively to schedule the recall to be performed. My car has been included in multiple recalls, and in all cases, I ultimately was the one to contact Tesla, say I wanted to schedule the recall, to have it performed. In at least one case this was not until probably a year after the recall was first announced. So if you feel your car is included in the recall, that it's not been performed, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Tesla to call you to schedule the repair. Submit a request for service and they will likely go right ahead and schedule it.

You can check your specific VIN on tesla website at the following link to see if there are any recalls you need performed.

If it does not show your car, it means one of two things.
- The recall does not apply to your car, or ...
- The recall did include your car but the recall repair was already performed.

The description on their site specifically says the listing is open recalls, meaning ones that apply but not performed. It is not listing all recalls that applied, including any that may have already been completed. Just checking my own car, the list it comes back is empty. It does not list the four recalls that I know applied and which I already had addressed.

You can also perform a similar search on NHTSA's website, but it also only shows only open recalls. It does not report the listing of all the recalls I've already had performed.

• Helpful
Reactions: tesluv108