Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new version still requires a hand on the wheel and eyes vigilantly watching the road at all times, not just for legalistic reasons but because intervention may be required at unpredictable moments.

After many years of driving, steering is something of which I'm barely conscious; the car just sort of goes where I'm thinking it should. I believe that's true of all good drivers.

Given all of that, aside from the novelty fun factor, what does AS really do for us? I personally find myself working harder and feeling more stressed than if I just steer myself. Cruise control is different: it's nice to give the feet a rest, especially in stop-and-go traffic.

Until AP gets good enough to allow a little texting, making out, etc. it seems kind of pointless. Am I alone in this?

I dunno, I find that monitoring Autosteer is a lot more relaxing. I get really bad neck pain if I keep my shoulders tense for a few hours like constantly steering my car on a long road trip. Autosteer lets me take a more relaxed posture to supervise and occasionally stretch out my neck while paying attention. For shorter trips, yeah, I am with you. TACC with manual steering is totally fine.

And both AP1 and AP2 require a decent amount of supervision. If it's a wide open road with no cars beside you and plenty of shoulder, you can take your hands off with relatively little risk. But in challenging freeway situations, AP1 has tried to steer me into doom on many occasions. I would actually say AP2 and AP1 are a wash on the highway since 17.17.4....

(I just finished a 500 mile drive today with AP2 on a route that I've taken 10 times with AP1)

...I personally find myself working harder and feeling more stressed than if I just steer myself. Cruise control is different: it's nice to give the feet a rest, especially in stop-and-go traffic...
A lot depends on traffic. If the MS AP drifts with no one around, it's informative. With traffic, drifting is a hazard, so I have to be alert.

Where AP should help is during unusual situations. I was frustrated last night in the Escalade on CA SR-60 West of Jack Rabbit where bright headlights, sharp curves and semi trucks make passing in the fast lane difficult when blinded by those oncoming cars. Having the full AP suite working properly in such a situation will be appreciated. While I missed not having AP on the recent 2,947 mile LA/OKC roundtrip, double rock damage to an old vehicle windshield was one reason I was glad to not be driving the 2017 90D MS. (OT: After a month, new windshield still on backorder for the 2012 P85 MS.)

TrafficCams.ashx

Last edited:
The new version still requires a hand on the wheel and eyes vigilantly watching the road at all times, not just for legalistic reasons but because intervention may be required at unpredictable moments.

After many years of driving, steering is something of which I'm barely conscious; the car just sort of goes where I'm thinking it should. I believe that's true of all good drivers.

Given all of that, aside from the novelty fun factor, what does AS really do for us? I personally find myself working harder and feeling more stressed than if I just steer myself. Cruise control is different: it's nice to give the feet a rest, especially in stop-and-go traffic.

Until AP gets good enough to allow a little texting, making out, etc. it seems kind of pointless. Am I alone in this?

must be the roads you're taking. having the car steer for me makes driving a lot more relaxing. i typically only touch the wheel when it prompts me. Almost never really have to take any corrective action.

Reactions: shurst and OBX John
I was able to test 17.17.4 the past two days, and it feels more confident when the freeway curves left/right. That being said, it now seems to stay away from the center median on freeways, thus hugging the right hand side of the HOV lane too closely (and even on top of the lane markings often). It has required more input from me to occasionally move away from vehicles in the lane to my right, and I've had to disengage it very frequently to make room for motorcycle to pass while splitting my lane (I'd rather not have one get mad and punch my mirror off).

I was able to test 17.17.4 the past two days, and it feels more confident when the freeway curves left/right. That being said, it now seems to stay away from the center median on freeways, thus hugging the right hand side of the HOV lane too closely (and even on top of the lane markings often). It has required more input from me to occasionally move away from vehicles in the lane to my right, and I've had to disengage it very frequently to make room for motorcycle to pass while splitting my lane (I'd rather not have one get mad and punch my mirror off).

Agreed. The car always seemed to prefer the inside land marking, especially when in the far left lane, but it's now more noticeable.

When changing to the far left lane, the car takes forever to get away from the right side of the lane that you're moving into.

There's no question the car prefers the right side of the lane - so much so that it sometimes makes a quick move towards the off ramp before correcting itself and staying on the highway.

One thing I've noticed is even on marked roads, it either doesn't or is very reluctant to view a curb as a lane marker.

There is a specific stretch of low-speed road that is clearly marked (3 lanes of 35 mph) that I've used local AS on since 17.11.3. On 17.11.3, it'd use the curb on the inner-most lane as a marker and maintain lane-center decently well. On 17.17.4 it never highlights the curb as a lane marker (blue) and hugs the lane marker. This is fine except the road also curves a bit here and there and it makes those curves uncomfortably close to the cars in the next lane.

Finally did more local autosteer today, and man was it scary. For the first time in 6 months I was disappointed with my car. The way the car takes turns is just not safe. Still hopeful, but a little less so today

I have tried auto steer limited time, but it's scary and tends to steer to crash, granted the road marking in north dallas is not always continuous and good.

I personally find myself working harder and feeling more stressed than if I just steer myself.

Unless the AS was to get significantly better it's really not much for me. It's wildly unpredictable for me on surface steeets.

Same concerns as above. While I've been awaiting the increase in speed, it seems like it was at the expense of safety. The auto high/low beams is much appreciated. The LED headlights are awful so I prefer the high beams as much as possible.

Right now, AP in the city definitely allows you to activate at higher than safe speeds. IMO it's a personal judgement call whether or not it's appropriate to use for a situation.

For example, here we have expressways with 50-55mph speed limits, but people routinely go 60-70 because the roads are well paved with wide lanes. AP2 used to only allow taking them at 35mph which made it useless. But AP2 handles it fine right now at 50-55mph.

It's really more for mismarked roads than it is for testing in random surface streets. One day we will get there, but that day is not today, for AP2 or even to a lesser extent for AP1.

Unfortunately auto-steer is just a gimmick. It doesn't work well enough to be useful. I'm OK running it in traffic jams, since worst case I need some sheetmetal.

C'mon Tesla, fix the quality of this thing. These updates are getting old. It's easier to just steer myself, as someone else put it, I can steer half asleep much better than the Tesla and with less stress for me and my passengers. Right now it drives about as well as a 7 year old child.

Unfortunately auto-steer is just a gimmick. It doesn't work well enough to be useful. I'm OK running it in traffic jams, since worst case I need some sheetmetal.

C'mon Tesla, fix the quality of this thing. These updates are getting old. It's easier to just steer myself, as someone else put it, I can steer half asleep much better than the Tesla and with less stress for me and my passengers. Right now it drives about as well as a 7 year old child.

not a gimmick for me or plenty of other Tesla drivers on this forum.