Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on my commute in I did a lot of local roads, the car lost the lines as I went through an intersection, but what I did notice that I've never seen before is that the car in front of me turned blue and I locked onto it and followed it's every move. I don't think it did this with the previous update. Anyone else notice this yet?

Yes. Was on prior version. Very rare for ap2. Must be costly following front vehicle where it cannot see lane lines. Ap2 is really good at creating Lane lines so usually doesn't happen.

Finally got my update from 17.11.45 to 17.17.4 after rebooting the instrument panel and center console. Coincidence... I think not.

Yes, it does help - sometimes. Whoever made the post about rebooting helps when a download gets botched is probably on target. I have some evidence to support this. I monitor my car with full network packet captures. A few updates ago, the update download died in the middle of the transfer (probably a poor signal). Three days went by....nothing. I rebooted the center console, and the download initiated shortly after that, completed, and the software update available message came up.

However, from my car, I have no evidence that rebooting helps otherwise. And I've tried it several times.

Got my update to 17.17.4 - on cellular connection (and a bad one at that).

I can confirm no auto high-beams for the UK. It's a shame, but I suppose they have their reasons. Hopefully it'll be enabled the next update. It did ask me to opt in to the video data-sharing (which I agreed to, of course)

So on my commute in I did a lot of local roads, the car lost the lines as I went through an intersection, but what I did notice that I've never seen before is that the car in front of me turned blue and I locked onto it and followed it's every move. I don't think it did this with the previous update. Anyone else notice this yet?

Yes. I have noticed the vehicle in front of me take on a shade of blue that matches the color of lane lines. That usually happens when lane lines disappear due to non-existent or hard-to-read road markings, such as through an intersection. The car can be very far in front of you and it can still be detected and used as a guide through unmarked sections of road.

Before this update, in most instances my car would turn the wheel hard right or hard left when it lost track of lines on side roads. The update has improved this quite a bit.

Changing lanes with auto-steer on the highway has also improved. It is very close to AP1 IMO - a lot less lane diving and there is also noticeably less braking when switching lanes.

Last edited:
Reactions: anonim1979
I parked my car front first instead of backing in, and got the update right away.

That's interesting. I know our Blackvue front camera's wifi range is suppose to be 30 feet and that seems to be an accurate range given where we need to stand inside our house to transfer files from it. Haven't looked in the Tesla manual but is there a published range for the Tesla? I know when we have the car parked outside nose closest to the garage door (like for the Blackvue camera) it doesn't have a problem getting the updates.

Finally got 17.17.4 installed this morning. Did a short drive over a highway stretch I frequent...AS seemed to behave mostly the same as before. For me, the same curves were still jittery. And it didn't seem like overall smoothness was better. But...might be too early to tell. I'll be doing a longer drive early next week that'll give a better comparison.

I just got my update. Haven't tried it yet.

With regard to talismanic actions, my wife and I had lunch at an Italian restaurant and she offered me some of her tiramisu. Before eating it I pointed the fork toward Palo Alto and spoke a Muskian anagramatic incantation seven times: Elon is the Lone One-L.

When I got home my software was ready to install! I can't say if this would work with other Italian pastries, but I'm sure these actions brought the software to me.

Or you could just wait.

Technically the image downloaded just fine. It failed installation.
Do you know why the installation may fail? The message was not at all specific as to the reason for the failure. I've had this happen to me once before a couple of releases prior. On the second attempt it worked.

"Update did not complete successfully. Please wait for a new update to be sent to your car."

If the image is OK then why would it need to send a new update to the car?

The new version still requires a hand on the wheel and eyes vigilantly watching the road at all times, not just for legalistic reasons but because intervention may be required at unpredictable moments.

After many years of driving, steering is something of which I'm barely conscious; the car just sort of goes where I'm thinking it should. I believe that's true of all good drivers.

Given all of that, aside from the novelty fun factor, what does AS really do for us? I personally find myself working harder and feeling more stressed than if I just steer myself. Cruise control is different: it's nice to give the feet a rest, especially in stop-and-go traffic.

Until AP gets good enough to allow a little texting, making out, etc. it seems kind of pointless. Am I alone in this?

Do you know why the installation may fail? The message was not at all specific as to the reason for the failure. I've had this happen to me once before a couple of releases prior. On the second attempt it worked.

"Update did not complete successfully. Please wait for a new update to be sent to your car."

If the image is OK then why would it need to send a new update to the car?

Likely the update failed to a single component. What are you doing when it installs? Best practice is to start the update, step out of the car, close the doors, and don't touch it again until you receive the update complete message on your phone.

Tesla has improved the update process over the years. It used to be a simple thing like opening a door could cause the install to fail.

The new version still requires a hand on the wheel and eyes vigilantly watching the road at all times, not just for legalistic reasons but because intervention may be required at unpredictable moments.

After many years of driving, steering is something of which I'm barely conscious; the car just sort of goes where I'm thinking it should. I believe that's true of all good drivers.

Given all of that, aside from the novelty fun factor, what does AS really do for us? I personally find myself working harder and feeling more stressed than if I just steer myself. Cruise control is different: it's nice to give the feet a rest, especially in stop-and-go traffic.

Until AP gets good enough to allow a little texting, making out, etc. it seems kind of pointless. Am I alone in this?
I agree. Unless the AS was to get significantly better it's really not much for me. It's wildly unpredictable for me on surface steeets. Much better on the freeway. And the frequent nags to touch the wheel make monitoring AS too much work for me. I like AS in bumper to bumper freeway traffic.
I'll just stick with TACC for the rest. It's quite good

Reactions: gowthamn
Likely the update failed to a single component. What are you doing when it installs? Best practice is to start the update, step out of the car, close the doors, and don't touch it again until you receive the update complete message on your phone.

Tesla has improved the update process over the years. It used to be a simple thing like opening a door could cause the install to fail.
Nothing special. The first time I had it start at the default time (around midnight). I was asleep at the time. The second time I was at work and started the 2 minute counter then immediately left the car.