Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12.3 FSD Acceleration.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model Y for about 6 weeks and got 12.3 2 weeks ago. So far I am impressed with the improvements except for 2 things.

One is new, the acceleration is pretty aggressive even in chill mode. I have insurance that requires an app be loaded on my phone to monitor driving. One of these measurements is acceleration. Everytime FSD leaves a stop I get a hard acceleration demerit from the app. I just don't see where to reduce it.

The other is a number of roads in my area where the speed limit that is displayed is well below the actual. Does this ever get updated or do I have to continue manually setting the cruise to a higher setting.

• Informative
Reactions: kabin
I have had my Model Y for about 6 weeks and got 12.3 2 weeks ago. So far I am impressed with the improvements except for 2 things.

One is new, the acceleration is pretty aggressive even in chill mode. I have insurance that requires an app be loaded on my phone to monitor driving. One of these measurements is acceleration. Everytime FSD leaves a stop I get a hard acceleration demerit from the app. I just don't see where to reduce it.

The other is a number of roads in my area where the speed limit that is displayed is well below the actual. Does this ever get updated or do I have to continue manually setting the cruise to a higher setting.

It would seem to be a no brainer for vehicle acceleration/deceleration to be tied to chill/aggressive mode selection.

The unnecessary high acceleration is reducing the life of my tires. Fortunately it mainly happens at an intersection within a half mile from home. So until it's fixed, I wait until after that intersection before engaging FSD.

Reactions: JB47394
In the Controls Menu, there is a Chill setting for Acceleration under Pedals & Steering.

I created a driver profile for FSD, with the acceleration set to "Chill". When driving the car, the driver profile is not shown on the Navigation Screen for selecting another profile, but you can still change the driver profile while driving the car by tapping on the Controls menu and then tap the profile icon at the top of the menu to bring up a list of profiles to choose from.

1712624877974.png

Unfortunately, the Chill mode in the Autopilot menu only controls following distance and lane changes. There should be Autopilot Controls for radial acceleration around corners and acceleration to and from a stop. That would conserve tire wear and provide greater confidence with inexperienced FSD supervisors.

1712625527029.png

In the Controls Menu, there is a Chill setting for Acceleration under Pedals & Steering.

I created a driver profile for FSD, with the acceleration set to "Chill".

Unfortunately, the Chill mode in the Autopilot menu only controls following distance and lane changes. There should be Autopilot Controls for radial acceleration around corners and acceleration to and from a stop. That would conserve tire wear and provide greater confidence with inexperienced FSD supervisors.

Including screen shots is always incredibly helpful. Thank you for taking the time (I have both of them set to Chill but I had forgotten it is found in two places.)

I agree, there needs to be another setting for those of us who are chill, through and through.

It is in chill mode and still gets hit for harsh acceleration on the insurance app every time. Probably going to change insurance companies when my 6 month policy comes due.

I do think that it is interesting that an insurance company app thinks FSD does not meet their definition of a careful driver.

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
It won't do anything.

Right now, FSD V12 is trained to drive one way, and that's how it drives. almost without regard to any settings. The only control we seem to have over its behavior is the upper limit on speed. That is, there is an upper limit, but the AI can drive at whatever speed it deems appropriate below that. The Auto Set Speed Offset thing has the car figuring out what that upper limit should be, and if you turn that off, then you get to set the upper limit as an offset from the posted speed limit - the way things used to be done.

I guess I should throw in a mention that we still have the ability to indicate lane changes manually. The car will usually observe them, but not always.

We're all waiting for what should be 12.4, so we can see if they can address the various oddities of 12.3, such as the rocket launches off the line.

Yeah in chill acceleration mode, all it does is limit your pedal acceleration. The car in FSD can (and will) accelerate harder that you can yourself when in chill mode which seems dumb and probably my biggest gripe about FSD. 75%+ throttle for a normal take off seems quite excessive. Not everyone lives in CA or NYC.. I could see that useful if you are making a turn and the rear camera sees a car coming up behind you but unnecessarily wasteful otherwise. I think it's a way to minimize consequences for incorrect turn timing decisions.

It won't do anything.

Right now, FSD V12 is trained to drive one way, and that's how it drives. almost without regard to any settings. The only control we seem to have over its behavior is the upper limit on speed. That is, there is an upper limit, but the AI can drive at whatever speed it deems appropriate below that. The Auto Set Speed Offset thing has the car figuring out what that upper limit should be, and if you turn that off, then you get to set the upper limit as an offset from the posted speed limit - the way things used to be done.

I guess I should throw in a mention that we still have the ability to indicate lane changes manually. The car will usually observe them, but not always.

We're all waiting for what should be 12.4, so we can see if they can address the various oddities of 12.3, such as the rocket launches off the line.
Although I tend to think people complaining about acceleration off the line are nuntso, and my wife as a passenger agrees, I do wish chill-aggressive actually did something for people who want to drive like grandma and leave aggressive for those of us that don’t want to impede traffic.

That said, the acceleration is a bit much when at an intersection with a storm drainage channel on the other side. For this, the car should build a local database or even one that updates local map metadata for all.

Reactions: JB47394
I do wish chill-aggressive actually did something for people who want to drive like grandma and leave aggressive for those of us that don’t want to impede traffic.
Or perhaps the car could use some of those brains to recognize that the folks at this intersection are not graduates of Thunderdome, and that a jackrabbit start is completely unwarranted. Other times, it could notice that if it doesn't jackrabbit, it's going to impede the flow of traffic.

Auto Set Speed Offset deserves the same treatment; there's no reason to be running well over the speed limit when nobody is around. On the other hand, if traffic is bearing down on FSD and it's going to impede the flow of traffic, only then should it accelerate to whatever speed is appropriate.

The exception there is that it should definitely not join in on high speed police pursuits.

Reactions: Ed243
Although I tend to think people complaining about acceleration off the line are nuntso, and my wife as a passenger agrees, I do wish chill-aggressive actually did something for people who want to drive like grandma and leave aggressive for those of us that don’t want to impede traffic.

That said, the acceleration is a bit much when at an intersection with a storm drainage channel on the other side. For this, the car should build a local database or even one that updates local map metadata for all.
I love hard acceleration but that's when I want it. The odd thing is that there is not as much acceleration proceeding straight at a traffic light as when pulling out from a side road. If I'm the lead car at a traffic light then I have to help FSD with the accelerator. It will start to go, kind of hesitate, and take its time getting up to speed. And it has nothing to do with traffic since there's hardly any traffic where I live.

Last edited:
It would seem to be a no brainer for vehicle acceleration/deceleration to be tied to chill/aggressive mode selection.
I have a 2022 MYLR running FSD 12.3.4 and just wanted to say that I have the same issue with acceleration from a stop sign or traffic light when in chill mode. What I find interesting is that in my case the quick acceleration does not always happen. But when it happens you know it, my insurance company knows it and worst of all my wife know it.