Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast Forward a Few years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in town today in our RAV4 EV and rolled down a window while stopped for a light. The din of the traffic was overwhelming, almost all of it ICE sounds. We've gotten so used to it that we don't really hear it, I suspect. But I fast forwarded a few years in my mind and thought about what the city would sound like without the ICEs. It will be an amazingly quieter place, and if more people could visualize what a difference EVs will make it should be another incentive to buy now.

I was in town today in our RAV4 EV and rolled down a window while stopped for a light. The din of the traffic was overwhelming, almost all of it ICE sounds. We've gotten so used to it that we don't really hear it, I suspect. But I fast forwarded a few years in my mind and thought about what the city would sound like without the ICEs. It will be an amazingly quieter place, and if more people could visualize what a difference EVs will make it should be another incentive to buy now.

The main thing I think about is all the poor blind people who will be run over :)

Meh, blind people aren't allowed to drive, so as long as they walk on the sidewalk and wait at crosswalks for the beeping noise, they'll be fine. Last time I checked, me not hitting people while I drive is much more a function of me avoiding them then them running out of my way.

Country music isn't the problem.

Unless you actually have to listen to it.

It the ones booming heavy base throbbing at 100+dB with their windows open.

+1 Or even with the windows closed (yours or theirs) because window position doesn't make much difference. Sometimes you get lucky and their base matches what you're listening to but usually it's just annoying.

Yes, I think the FUD about making EVs have noisemakers would go away if the driving environment was quiet in the first place. There's plenty of sound from the wheels; you don't need an ICE.

The FUD about EVs having noisemakers is mostly about keeping EVs looking like toys. Real grown ups don't drive toys, so adoption is slowed giving the ICE car manufacturers a little longer life. Of course, that's not how it's spun to the legislators and no legislator wants to appear unsympathetic so it's an easy sell, even if the facts don't support it.