Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla with the intent to sell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I'll be Mr.Negativity if nobody else does. I think it's crap. If you don't want two cars you could/should have just cancelled the reservation on one so that someone on the Sig wait list could move onto it to buy a sig at the manufacturer's price. I think what you're doing is selfish and greedy and inconsiderate of the Tesla community at large.

I'm sure you'll sell it and your tidy profit will assuage any modicum of guilt and certainly any buyer with that kind of loose cash won't complain either. But I think there are more honest and upright ways to show how much you love Tesla.

He could be stuck with at $100,000 automobile that he can't sell.

I probably the least pro 'capitalist' you would meet, but this is a perfect example of pure capitalism. I generally frown on the practice also (think iPhones, event tickets, and gaming consoles). But it is pure capitalism.

EDIT: ... least pro 'capitalist' you would meet in the USA

He could be stuck with at $100,000 automobile that he can't sell.

I probably the least pro 'capitalist' you would meet, but this is a perfect example of pure capitalism. I generally frown on the practice also (think iPhones, event tickets, and gaming consoles). But it is pure capitalism.

EDIT: ... least pro 'capitalist' you would meet in the USA
Yea, it's capitalist, but it's also greedy. Someone'll buy it at some point, I think he's calculated that risk, even if he ends up selling for cost he's out nothing.
Look, I'm not saying he's doing anything illegal or technically wrong, but I have a bitter taste in my mouth still from dealers marking up early Gen II Prii by $5000 and more just because they could. Lots of people were angered at the dealers and those memories of unfair treatment persist.

We can still be capitalists and honorable and ethical--this is neither of the latter two.

I'll be Mr.Negativity if nobody else does. I think it's crap. If you don't want two cars you could/should have just cancelled the reservation on one so that someone on the Sig wait list could move onto it to buy a sig at the manufacturer's price. I think what you're doing is selfish and greedy and inconsiderate of the Tesla community at large.

I'm sure you'll sell it and your tidy profit will assuage any modicum of guilt and certainly any buyer with that kind of loose cash won't complain either. But I think there are more honest and upright ways to show how much you love Tesla.

He's taking on the risk that he isn't able to sell the car, it's only fair that he gets the reward if he is able to sell it. No different than buying TSLA stock and hoping you can sell it to someone else later for a profit. I don't think it is "selfish and greedy and inconsiderate of the Tesla community at large" it's just business, don't get so personal.

Is the guy that is pissed off 'cause he has to wait an extra day for his car any less selfish? I don't think so.

I would never off you $50,000 extra to skip a 12 month wait.

Forget the $7,500 government rebate. Which you cannot even claim!

When I first put my reservation in, I had thought of this ... but I was closer to a $5k premium. 10% return on the money.

50% is usurious in my mind.

You say you cannot afford your "first" model S, so you are selling your 2nd to help with your first?

Yet you plunked down $80,000 for two Signature reservations?

Are reservations even transferable?

Last edited:
I don't get the locking in the order and then a week later putting it up for sale. I would think doing what that other guy is trying to do (saying I have a low Sig spot...does anyone want it and we'll work out some sort of arrangement) would work better. If you didn't get what you wanted but lock in time, you could cancel your Sig reservation and give it to someone on the list.

I don't get the locking in the order and then a week later putting it up for sale. I would think doing what that other guy is trying to do (saying I have a low Sig spot...does anyone want it and we'll work out some sort of arrangement) would work better. If you didn't get what you wanted but lock in time, you could cancel your Sig reservation and give it to someone on the list.

I agree, probably shouldn't have locked in his order before trying to sell it, but I really don't get the negativity here. Plenty of people doubted or hadn't heard of Tesla until recently, and now that things are moving ahead, there will be PLENTY of people willing to jump the line to get theirs NOW. I'm not talking 50k, but if I hadn't had a reservation all this time, I'd certainly consider paying someone a 10-15k premium to get a Model S NOW.

All else is just hate...

I was more talking about locking in the order then asking for 'around' a $50,000 profit. If he or she can accomplish it and someone is willing to pay it, then everyone is happy. Nothing wrong with that just seems odd to me to lock it in then change your mind and try to sell it at such a profit.

Is it not more a question of principle? While someone might be willing and able to pay a high mark-up for a car just so that they may have one before many people, it just seems somewhat questionable in my mind to take up a spot that could have been occupied by a person who would get a car that meets all their requirements. I'm not sure if this can be called capitalism or just simple greed and speculation.

I don't plan to respond directly to much of what has been said here as I'm certainly not interested in arguing with each of you. But I will say that if you're truly offended by the price-- pause and ask yourself "why?" Are you offended by Tesla making a profit selling it for $100K? Are you offended by the house next store (or maybe yours) that was bought for $300K and sold for $800K? I don't want to get into politics other than to say I'm typically more on the side that likes electric cars than the side that defends business but seriously... if someone wants to buy it for $1 million and I want to sell it to him for that, I don't see why I should be called greedy. If I choose to pay $100K for a car, that's because I've decided the car is worth more to me than that $100K. If I choose to sell it for $150K that's because I've decided the $150K is worth more to me than the car (and in this case, maybe it wouldn't be if I didn't have a 2nd reservation- that plays into it). Are you greedy because money plays into your decisions of what things and efforts are worth to you every single day? Because you do. Even when you buy a cup of coffee or go to work. And who is my "greed" hurting? The person who's in line behind me? I'm not going to lose sleep over the fate of that poor soul-- these aren't limited Springsteen tickets-- they'll make more. You just have to wait a day longer to buy your $100K car than if I didn't do this. And my getting in line first won me that privilige. There are many things worth finding offensive because they make the worls a worse place to live in. One of those things is picking fights over things that really don't fall in that category. Thanks to those that are helping to point out the hypocrisy in the hating. As for selling on eBay, I believe there's no way to do so without a vin#.

If we're discussing amount.. then yeah, 50k is pretty crazy. I thought we were just angry that he was reselling in the first place. Personally, I'd take delivery and list on eBay at like 10k over or so, and let a bidding war ensue.

I'm not angry, I'm not in line for a Sig, won't send the guy money and it won't affect my purchase date a bit. I have nothing to be angry about. But I think it reflects negatively on the Tesla community at large and it does directly impact someone on that Sig wait list who will have a choice of coughing up an extra $50k to get the sig they really want or will not get the Sig at all b/c this guy refused to just give up his spot or at least offer the spot before locking in.

I don't plan to respond directly to much of what has been said here as I'm certainly not interested in arguing with each of you. But I will say that if you're truly offended by the price-- pause and ask yourself "why?" Are you offended by Tesla making a profit selling it for $100K? Are you offended by the house next store (or maybe yours) that was bought for $300K and sold for $800K? I don't want to get into politics other than to say I'm typically more on the side that likes electric cars than the side that defends business but seriously... if someone wants to buy it for $1 million and I want to sell it to him for that, I don't see why I should be called greedy. If I choose to pay $100K for a car, that's because I've decided the car is worth more to me than that $100K. If I choose to sell it for $150K that's because I've decided the $150K is worth more to me than the car (and in this case, maybe it wouldn't be if I didn't have a 2nd reservation- that plays into it). Are you greedy because money plays into your decisions of what things and efforts are worth to you every single day? Because you do. Even when you buy a cup of coffee or go to work. And who is my "greed" hurting? The person who's in line behind me? I'm not going to lose sleep over the fate of that poor soul-- these aren't limited Springsteen tickets-- they'll make more. You just have to wait a day longer to buy your $100K car than if I didn't do this. And my getting in line first won me that privilige. There are many things worth finding offensive because they make the worls a worse place to live in. One of those things is picking fights over things that really don't fall in that category. Thanks to those that are helping to point out the hypocrisy in the hating. As for selling on eBay, I believe there's no way to do so without a vin#.
It's one thing if you bought it with the intent to keep it, then resold it b/c someone made a good offer.
It's another thing altogether if there's a limited supply and you chose to lock in that supply with the sole goal of enriching yourself while someone else would be denied the opportunity to buy that car at the retail price.
I'm not opposed to profit making or taking and, as I stated, there's nothing technically wrong with what you're doing. And it is NOT about the price (although the price reflects the level of your greediness), it's about the means and manner which you chose to go about your profit making. It's opportunistic and selfish and inconsiderate of those on the Sig wait list behind you. That's what offends me.