Page 89 of 531 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 5301

Thread: Tesla Supercharger network

  1. #881
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    577
    Items for Sale
    Sorry if this is off track.

    Have they addressed the possibility that the Superchargers could be fully use upon arrival? Will I just have to queue up for 30+ minutes before charging?

    Maybe a reservation system is in the works?

  2. #882
    TSLA will win Norbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    4,349
    Quote Originally Posted by tdiggity View Post
    Sorry if this is off track.

    Have they addressed the possibility that the Superchargers could be fully use upon arrival? Will I just have to queue up for 30+ minutes before charging?

    Maybe a reservation system is in the works?
    It seems they are trying to keep the design simple. So I'd hope they'd add SuperChargers if actually needed.
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

  3. #883
    mod squad TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    15,235
    Quote Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
    ...It's like filling a bucket with a hose, when the bucket is empty you can use high pressure and not spill anything, but as it nears full you need to lower the pressure if you want to fill it all the way...
    LOL... The analogies between plumbing and electronics continue to hold true... (Recalling the usual pressure and hose size descriptions for voltage and amperage...)
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

  4. #884
    Senior Member stopcrazypp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,461
    Quote Originally Posted by tdiggity View Post
    Sorry if this is off track.

    Have they addressed the possibility that the Superchargers could be fully use upon arrival? Will I just have to queue up for 30+ minutes before charging?

    Maybe a reservation system is in the works?
    I suspect there won't be a reservation system as that would require some sort of authentication (which they have elected NOT to use, given the free charging for every Model S). There might be an availability checker though (ideally with the time left to finish charging).

    Not sure what will happen if there's actually a line though.
    Because there are tons of crazy people in this world...

  5. #885
    Senior Member mcornwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,008
    I would love to be able to see availability/ reserve a spot from the 17" center console. If others are waiting (which the SC could know based on another reservation and the car reporting its location), the SC would cut you off after say 30-45 minutes.
    VIN 2301: Performance 85 ● Blue Metallic ● Pano ● 21" Grey Wheels ● Black Leather/CF Interior ● CF Spoiler ● Tech/Sound Packages ● 7.6 kW Solar PV Array

  6. #886
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    577
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by mcornwell View Post
    I would love to be able to see availability/ reserve a spot from the 17" center console. If others are waiting (which the SC could know based on another reservation and the car reporting its location), the SC would cut you off after say 30-45 minutes.
    Yea, they'll definitely want to implement some kind of timer on it. I've been told EV owners are pretty courteous to one another. But once more Tesla's are on the road, you can't count on people being nice...they'll jump into a restaurant for an hour and then come out when it's convenient for them.

  7. #887
    Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    12,685
    Quote Originally Posted by tdiggity View Post
    Yea, they'll definitely want to implement some kind of timer on it. I've been told EV owners are pretty courteous to one another. But once more Tesla's are on the road, you can't count on people being nice...they'll jump into a restaurant for an hour and then come out when it's convenient for them.
    I agree. The cable is so short though that if they don't come out to move their car, you'll still be stuck waiting. Maybe a phone call into a Tesla Supercharging hotline can get Tesla to text or call the owner letting them know someone is waiting for the spot.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

  8. #888
    Member napabill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Napa, California, United States
    Posts
    845
    As I mentioned in an earlier thread, it is my intention to have a laminated card with my cell phone number, that I'll put in a side window, instructing anyone waiting to charge, to call me and let me know they're in line. That coupled with the upcoming iPhone App showing charge level, should allow the process to be orderly.

  9. #889
    mod squad TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    15,235
    How Two Billionaires Are Supercharging The Electric Car To Upend Big Oil - Forbes
    ...
    Solar panels will supply the electricity at Supercharger stations, with a 500-kilowatt-hour supersize version of its car battery as backup storage. That drives the cost of each station up to $250,000, but Musk says the solar panels will pay for themselves in a few years and Tesla can sell stored power back to utilities. The company is paying little or nothing to lease space for the charging stations, he notes.
    ...
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

  10. #890
    4GETOIL SS70, XS4, xR913 dadaleus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Solana Beach, California, United States
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by napabill View Post
    As I mentioned in an earlier thread, it is my intention to have a laminated card with my cell phone number, that I'll put in a side window, instructing anyone waiting to charge, to call me and let me know they're in line. That coupled with the upcoming iPhone App showing charge level, should allow the process to be orderly.
    I'm doing exactly this.

    BTW, I've used superchargers probably about 8 times now, at three different locations (Hawthorne, Tejon, and Coalinga). I've never had a problem using it because of someone else, but I definitely had "charge anxiety" when I knew I needed it and wasn't sure it would be available. So far that hasn't happened, although I have seen a 2nd Model S at Tejon at the same time as me on two different occasions. If a 3rd arrived they'd be out of luck (or a 2nd in Coalinga). Tejon and Hawthorne have plenty of room for expansion, but not sure what they'll do with Coalinga.

    BTW, Hawthorne is a pretty desolate place at 7pm on a Sunday night. Found out the security booth has a bathroom though. There is a Starbucks and Wendy's not TOO far away if you don't mind a decent walk.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Florida
    By Larry Chanin in forum Florida
    Replies: 166
    Last Post: 2014-07-27, 07:49 PM
  2. Replies: 86
    Last Post: 2014-04-24, 07:25 PM
  3. "Supercharger" plans for Germany (Current HPC network)
    By TEG in forum Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2013-10-24, 01:33 PM
  4. Supercharger Event 2012/9/24
    By iridium in forum News
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: 2013-10-13, 11:53 AM
  5. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 2013-02-25, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •