Page 89 of 531 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Supercharger network

Items for Sale
    Sorry if this is off track.

Have they addressed the possibility that the Superchargers could be fully use upon arrival? Will I just have to queue up for 30+ minutes before charging?

Maybe a reservation system is in the works?

Quote Originally Posted by tdiggity View Post

Have they addressed the possibility that the Superchargers could be fully use upon arrival? Will I just have to queue up for 30+ minutes before charging?

It seems they are trying to keep the design simple. So I'd hope they'd add SuperChargers if actually needed.
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

Quote Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
    ...It's like filling a bucket with a hose, when the bucket is empty you can use high pressure and not spill anything, but as it nears full you need to lower the pressure if you want to fill it all the way...
    LOL... The analogies between plumbing and electronics continue to hold true... (Recalling the usual pressure and hose size descriptions for voltage and amperage...)
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

I suspect there won't be a reservation system as that would require some sort of authentication (which they have elected NOT to use, given the free charging for every Model S). There might be an availability checker though (ideally with the time left to finish charging).

Not sure what will happen if there's actually a line though.
    Because there are tons of crazy people in this world...

I would love to be able to see availability/ reserve a spot from the 17" center console. If others are waiting (which the SC could know based on another reservation and the car reporting its location), the SC would cut you off after say 30-45 minutes.
    VIN 2301: Performance 85 ● Blue Metallic ● Pano ● 21" Grey Wheels ● Black Leather/CF Interior ● CF Spoiler ● Tech/Sound Packages ● 7.6 kW Solar PV Array

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by mcornwell View Post
    I would love to be able to see availability/ reserve a spot from the 17" center console. If others are waiting (which the SC could know based on another reservation and the car reporting its location), the SC would cut you off after say 30-45 minutes.
    Yea, they'll definitely want to implement some kind of timer on it. I've been told EV owners are pretty courteous to one another. But once more Tesla's are on the road, you can't count on people being nice...they'll jump into a restaurant for an hour and then come out when it's convenient for them.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Yea, they'll definitely want to implement some kind of timer on it. I've been told EV owners are pretty courteous to one another. But once more Tesla's are on the road, you can't count on people being nice...they'll jump into a restaurant for an hour and then come out when it's convenient for them.
    I agree. The cable is so short though that if they don't come out to move their car, you'll still be stuck waiting. Maybe a phone call into a Tesla Supercharging hotline can get Tesla to text or call the owner letting them know someone is waiting for the spot.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, it is my intention to have a laminated card with my cell phone number, that I'll put in a side window, instructing anyone waiting to charge, to call me and let me know they're in line. That coupled with the upcoming iPhone App showing charge level, should allow the process to be orderly.

How Two Billionaires Are Supercharging The Electric Car To Upend Big Oil - Forbes
    Solar panels will supply the electricity at Supercharger stations, with a 500-kilowatt-hour supersize version of its car battery as backup storage. That drives the cost of each station up to $250,000, but Musk says the solar panels will pay for themselves in a few years and Tesla can sell stored power back to utilities. The company is paying little or nothing to lease space for the charging stations, he notes.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

4GETOIL SS70, XS4, xR913 dadaleus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by napabill View Post
    As I mentioned in an earlier thread, it is my intention to have a laminated card with my cell phone number, that I'll put in a side window, instructing anyone waiting to charge, to call me and let me know they're in line. That coupled with the upcoming iPhone App showing charge level, should allow the process to be orderly.
    I'm doing exactly this.

BTW, I've used superchargers probably about 8 times now, at three different locations (Hawthorne, Tejon, and Coalinga). I've never had a problem using it because of someone else, but I definitely had "charge anxiety" when I knew I needed it and wasn't sure it would be available. So far that hasn't happened, although I have seen a 2nd Model S at Tejon at the same time as me on two different occasions. If a 3rd arrived they'd be out of luck (or a 2nd in Coalinga). Tejon and Hawthorne have plenty of room for expansion, but not sure what they'll do with Coalinga.

BTW, Hawthorne is a pretty desolate place at 7pm on a Sunday night. Found out the security booth has a bathroom though. There is a Starbucks and Wendy's not TOO far away if you don't mind a decent walk.

Thread Information