Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Crash Test Ratings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not yet, as I heard it, TM is waiting to get all the design stuff finalized first because one it goes in for testing then the design is locked in and any changes at all after that would require another crash test.

According to Mr. Blankenship in a video that "engle" posted form the Santana reveal, Mr. Blankenship stated that the design was locked and several car would be crash tested.

Here is some crash test information I found on Detriot News website.

didn't see anything there besides this (which is basically a recap of what they said in the letter):
Tesla said the $70,000 Model S has been certified by the Environmental Protection Agency and California and said it expects to receive a five-star crash test rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

From The Detroit News: Tesla to offer 1st Model S EV by June | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

The safest part of the car is the vehicle,
the unsafest is the person behind the wheel.

All the safety equipment is wonderful, but if you don't drive safely, speed, text, use the phone, drink ... THAT is what males it unsafe.

And hopefully with voice control, bluetooth calling and speech to text for incoming messages, that will make things all that much safer. (Although, I often don't do the speed limit and tech isn't going to help that ;) )

And hopefully with voice control, bluetooth calling and speech to text for incoming messages, that will make things all that much safer. (Although, I often don't do the speed limit and tech isn't going to help that ;) )

An interesting note on voice control from this NYTimes review of the new Lexus GS:

But the dirty secret of voice commands, whether for phones or cars, is how rarely anyone actually uses them.

I'd agree; even for a tech geek like me, it was very rare to use the voice commands in my last 3 cars that were capable of handling them.

I'd agree; even for a tech geek like me, it was very rare to use the voice commands in my last 3 cars that were capable of handling them.

In most cars, the voice commands don't work because the vocabulary is limited and/or the noise level doesn't allow the command to be recognized. At least the second part should not be a problem with the Model S. I don't use the voice commands in my Prius either because the only time they work is when the car is stopped and the windows rolled up. If I have to stop the car anyway, it's just as easy to use the buttons.