Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Ecotricity Electric Highway

Hi all
    This morning I tried unsuccessfully to charge my Roadster using the Ecotricity "AC Fast Charge" point at Pease Pottage in Sussex. I was using a Tesla-supplied Mennekes cable which has always worked fine in the past, including on Ecotricity "AC Medium Charge" points. My Mennekes plug was plugged in to the charge point's Mennekes socket on the end of it's cable. The charge point recognised my card, etc. instructed me to connect the cable and displayed "waiting for charging request from vehicle", after which nothing happened. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable at the vehicle; no change. After a minute or so the charge point timed out. I tried the entire exercise a couple of times.

So, I have a few questions for the forum, if I may:
    - can Roadsters charge at all on the "AC Fast Charge" points?
    - do I need some additional hardware?
    - do we by any chance get a 60A or 70A charge rate (i.e. one phase of the advertised 43kW three-phase capacity?)

cheers
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by seanp View Post
    Hi all
    This morning I tried unsuccessfully to charge my Roadster using the Ecotricity "AC Fast Charge" point at Pease Pottage in Sussex. I was using a Tesla-supplied Mennekes cable which has always worked fine in the past, including on Ecotricity "AC Medium Charge" points. My Mennekes plug was plugged in to the charge point's Mennekes socket on the end of it's cable. The charge point recognised my card, etc. instructed me to connect the cable and displayed "waiting for charging request from vehicle", after which nothing happened. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable at the vehicle; no change. After a minute or so the charge point timed out. I tried the entire exercise a couple of times.

So, I have a few questions for the forum, if I may:
    - can Roadsters charge at all on the "AC Fast Charge" points?
    - do I need some additional hardware?
    - do we by any chance get a 60A or 70A charge rate (i.e. one phase of the advertised 43kW three-phase capacity?)

cheers
    Sean
    This is a known problem, even though the Mennekes connector "looks* like it should plug into the Ecotricity fast chargers, and the 43kw charge standard *should* support one phase at 14-15kw.

BUT .. it would appear from my own experience that the Mennekes connector physically doesn't quite push far enough into the socket to connect .. and is currently only compatible with the Renault Zoe connector even though it looks like it should work just fine ... annoying ehh ?

The only way around it might be to change the end of the charge cable for a plug that is slightly different and compatible with the Zoe . .

I know there are people on this forum more knowledgeable than me when it comes to this issue, but as of today the problem has not got a solution. Sounds like someone needs to make up 50+ cables for Roadster UK owners .. (although, if it was me, I'd like to ensure the 14kw/15kw single phase logic works beforehand..)

I very rarely charge mid journey, but when I do its either using an Ecotricity 7kw charge point for an hour whilst eating (=25 miles top up ) Or I use the 70amp HPC's dotted about the motorway network at 65-70 miles/Hr (let me know if you'd like a map of them !).

Hi guys,

This is interesting... I had assumed for ages that we Roadster drivers can only use the few Ecotricity points which have the 22kw posts? Mine always works fine on those but never tried on the rapid charger. Isn't the Tesla cable only rated to 32amps anyway though? Even if a charge was possible, it would fry the cable fairly quickly wouldn't it?

If this is the case that we can potentially use all of these posts (if a bespoke cable is produced) and draw the 63amp single phase then it is a hell of an improvement on the current network available!

Having now realised that the end of the AC rapid charger is effectively a Mennekes socket then in theory it should be feasible shouldn't it?

I have a zero carbon world type 2 to type 1 cable along with a can connector so will try using one of these posts and restricting it to 32 amps just out of interest to see if a different cable type works...

Thanks
    Last edited by Alexandersims; 02-23-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Total balls up and didn't read initial information well enough!!!

Thread Information