Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNN Money interview with Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some interesting tidbits from the interview: Elon mentions a .22 cd for the car and the interviewer states something about being slippery as a fish. Elon also mentions the price points range from $50k to $100K fully optioned out. Elon didn't have music playing in the background, I could really "hear" how quiet the car is. Maybe the guy in back does double duty as Elon's bodyguard (joking of course)

For those who have already seen the CNNMoney video "Tesla CEO personally guarantees payback", this isn't the same video, and very interesting.

I think for the cd value we heard 0.27 so far. 0.22 would be an improvment of 18.5 %. :)

Elon also said that the price range goes from $50k to "about $100k". I think that's the first time I've heard that. I'm assuming that's probably a bit more than $100k, and includes a fully loaded Sport model, 300 mile, every option (pano roof, air suspension etc.).

Well if 300 mile is about 77k, and the assumption is that sport will be 10kish, that leaves about 12kish for other options like pano roof, manually adjustable suspension etc. still too vague to really play with the numbers though.

Someone said they were expecting numbers by the end of the year, is that confirmed? At the event we were told winter 2012, but I'm still not sure if they mean December or December through late February for that time frame.

I wish they'd use Cd*A instead of Cd alone as the figure of merit. Cd by itself isn't particularly useful and in fact it's difficult to measure directly.
So I'd rather Cd*A, maybe even Fd/v^2 at sea level.

Just like they use simple "Megapixels" to identify a camera's specs instead of the sensor and all the other things that go into a great picture. It's simpler for the public.

Well if 300 mile is about 77k, and the assumption is that sport will be 10kish, that leaves about 12kish for other options like pano roof, manually adjustable suspension etc. still too vague to really play with the numbers though.

Actually, he says the car starts at 50k and goes up to 100k, so we'd have to assume he's talking post-rebate. So we can configure up to about 110k

What does "Fd/v^2" mean? I googled it, but I didn't get anything.
Maybe this helps?
Drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The drag coefficient
233bdf05b52fa6b45b5b9ddd50316ea8.png
is defined as:
2584a12584dcea216e766c4bbcb514eb.png

where:
ab28ba9349e6b8626bfdb5ee64a72d01.png
is the drag force, which is by definition the force component in the direction of the flow velocity,[SUP]
[/SUP]
ab4c699d5daae16f90abf620d960811a.png
is the mass density of the fluid,[SUP]
[/SUP]
2d3fdc651d296cf7a5bde9d58fa58c47.png
is the speed of the object relative to the fluid, and
7b80ebccd4420d9579e7d488396b7f5c.png
is the reference area.

Automotive aerodynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I think Doug was suggesting making apples to apples assuming sea level so variable air density doesn't have to be left in the equation.

Last edited:
The thing I found interesting is Musk mentions that functions on the center screen will not be locked out while driving (i.e. can surf the net while driving) which caused the interviewer to cringe a little. Further Musk talks about emphasis on voice interface which allow you to go to a website or dictate an email.

I know the argument of the center screen being a distraction while driving, but at the same time if the passenger wants to do stuff on the screen I have no problem.

Having a screen like that and locking out functions just doesn't make sense...might as well not even have the screen. So I agree that Tesla shouldn't lock out functions.