Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do your front windows hit the chrome trim when opening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this is "normal" or not, but there is a fairly loud clacking sound (glass on metal) when I open my front doors. The rear doors don't do it. Because it's so well timed with the electronic latch noise the doors make when they open, my passengers don't really notice it.

I've come to find that what's actually happening is my windows are not dropping down fast enough when the door opens, so the top of the window glass makes contact with the chrome trim. Does anyone else hear this noise or have this problem?

I have a similar noise with the front passenger door but it can be reproduced by applying/releasing outward pressure to the window with the door open. I will ask the SC to check it out when the car is in for its annual next week.

I'm not sure if this is "normal" or not, but there is a fairly loud clacking sound (glass on metal) when I open my front doors. The rear doors don't do it. Because it's so well timed with the electronic latch noise the doors make when they open, my passengers don't really notice it.

I've come to find that what's actually happening is my windows are not dropping down fast enough when the door opens, so the top of the window glass makes contact with the chrome trim. Does anyone else hear this noise or have this problem?

it happened on one of the back rear door windows. Took it to the service center in Torrance, CA. They fixed it in 15 minutes. It is a moderately common issue, I was told.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. Glad to see I'm not crazy. This, along with about 6 other issues will need to be fixed on my 3 week old car I guess. None of the issues are major, but it's surprising that after 3 years of building these cars they're still sending them out with so many little things like this still happening. You'd think during the 6 days they had my car sitting at the SC for "final inspection" before delivery they'd catch stuff like this.

My front window does this, thought it was normal. I'll add it to the growing list of things to take care of on my next service visit (creaking hatch liftgate, drive unit noises at low speed, broken A/C vent, etc)

We've had this problem with an assortment of MS's--we've owned four so far and have two now. Either firmware updates and/or window regulator replacement (IIRC) seems to fix it. The problem is that, for reasons only partially understood perhaps, the window isn't dropping fast enough to clear the chrome trim before the door swings open.

And you're right: after almost FOUR years of production, it's stunning how poor the production and parts quality remains. Granted, a recent sample size of one, but we just had our 6-month old 70D in for this and a host of other maddening issues, two of which nearly resulted in our insisting in a buy back . . . but they finally fixed them. (Right front door handle foam insulator found at bottom of door, hence the massive wind roar, and remarkably large paint blemish that was wet sanded away, thankfully. And now the left rear door handle sometimes keeps my hand by retracting as the door is opened--I think it loves me?)

Unsat, frankly, but we LOVE Tesla and "The Mission." But, let's be honest. At this price point especially, it is unacceptable to ship these problems to the massively overworked SC's and expect them to fix them after the fact (especially when it takes WEEKS to schedule service visits).

Shame on you, Elon, for letting the SC load get so bad.

I thought I was having this problem with the rear windows and I figured out that I was trying to pull open the door with the handle as if it was one of my other cars with a mechanical link between the handle and the latch. Now, I treat the handles as a switch and pause a fraction of a second, waiting for the door to pop open before I pull the door open the rest of the way. No more windows hitting the door frame. As with a lot of things with this car, a minor modification to my learned behavior solved the problem.

I've had this issue on my MS rear doors from day one. Seems like it happens as the car is waking up, but after door has been opened, and car is fully awake, the problem goes away. Had a ranger look at it, and he was familiar with the issue, but did not know of a solution.

1-1,5cm narrower chrome trim should do the trick. Not sure why it hasn`t been fixed yet. Maybe narrower chrome trim results in some other problem, like wind noise or water ingress when washing the car? Don`t know, but it seems like an easy fix. At least compared to the extensive problems Norwegians have with these doors in cold climate.
Things like the tiny adjustment that needs to be done to the EU charge port, mirror brackets tape bits hanging out, windshield washer fluid tank filler placement, rubber gaskets showing edges of the A-pillar interior trim +++ are still there after four years. Why Tesla, why :)
Also – love the door handles, but they`re creating a lot of work for the service centers. I would`ve bought the car even with regular handles :)

Still love the car though, with its many small and unnecessary design flaws. The good by far outweighs the bad! But recent stories about the Norwegian service centers makes me hope the new car is flawless. That`s enough off topic rant from me.

By the way – I had this problem with one of the rear doors. They did some reprogramming of some sort, which made it better for a while. But I think the problem reoccurred after some time, but in a less serious way. Just a hint of a touch when opening the door.

It was raining, and then it turned very cold (it's 13F now), so all 4 of my windows froze open. I open the door and hear the window catching on the chrome trim. Running the heat on my way to work thawed out the drivers side window to be openable without hitting the chrome, haven't tested the other 3.

I thought I was having this problem with the rear windows and I figured out that I was trying to pull open the door with the handle as if it was one of my other cars with a mechanical link between the handle and the latch. Now, I treat the handles as a switch and pause a fraction of a second, waiting for the door to pop open before I pull the door open the rest of the way. No more windows hitting the door frame. As with a lot of things with this car, a minor modification to my learned behavior solved the problem.

No need to modify your behavior.

Next time you're in for service ask Tesla to do a firmware update; if ineffective, get new window regulators and you (and your passengers) will be set.

The question for Tesla is: "Why are we still having these identical and repeat issues in our 2015 MS when we had nearly the same with our first MS in 2013?"

I had this problem until I just changed the way I open doors. I now gently pull the latch (from the inside or the outside), give it 0.5 seconds, then open the door. I know this is stupid, but such is the behavioral price paid for fancy frameless doors.

It still pains me when a passenger does it wrong. CLACK.

- K

I had this problem until I just changed the way I open doors. I now gently pull the latch (from the inside or the outside), give it 0.5 seconds, then open the door. I know this is stupid, but such is the behavioral price paid for fancy frameless doors.

- K
Yes, but when it only does it on ONE door (left rear in my case) it's obviously not a user error, and not something that the user should have to modify behavior to address.

Reactions: CSFTN

- K

Plenty of cars with frameless doors don't do this. $20k Subaru's 10 years ago didn't do this. There is absolutely no reason that these "fancy" doors should come at a cost. (And I don't think they're fancy at all, btw)