Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit #3 :( Shudder from stop, restart vehicle to continue driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title says it. car still driveable, but having service center check logs. about 8k on this drive unit, 72,000 on the car. started with the clunk a few weeks ago, shuddered while making a left turn at median, then in parking lot accelerating from stop the shudder again and the warning to restart to continue driving.

Anyone else here seen this before? this is a new one for me. only git 128 miles to go... Drive unit was new,, version "P".

I wish thed just replace this car already :[ This is 3rd drive unit, and also have 2 door handles acting up again, and a clinky drivers window.

So here we go again... Will update...

I'm not normally one to say this, Islandbayy, but you have had far more troubles with your car than you should have ever experienced. Is there any option available to lemon the car at this point? It seems to me that is the only way to address the issues. Tesla doesn't seem to be stepping up to make the cars reliable over time, and they certainly don't seem to be doing anything to fix the DU problems that have been plaguing so many owners in this and other forums. If I had all the problems you had with your car, I probably would have called a lawyer a long time ago. And I'm a Teslaholic, it takes a lot for me to say that.

Ugh, so sorry to hear this. Thanks for providing updates as your story and the eventual resolution (yes, I'm hopeful they can solve this engineering issue) will only make Tesla a stronger company (if they handle it well and strive to be a better company)

My drive unit gets replaced this Wed. Car was manufactured in May 2015, 11k miles. Been hearing the "milling sound" since about 8k miles.

Is there any knowledge about what's going wrong? I was told mine has a short - electricity is flowing through the motor bearings. Is this the same issue all drive units have, or most? Or are they all over the map? Hoping I don't start down the road of multiple failures.

Don't see how buying a new car would help, based on my experience. My 2013 never had drive unit failure - 18k miles in 2 yrs of driving.

I'm not normally one to say this, Islandbayy, but you have had far more troubles with your car than you should have ever experienced. Is there any option available to lemon the car at this point? It seems to me that is the only way to address the issues. Tesla doesn't seem to be stepping up to make the cars reliable over time, and they certainly don't seem to be doing anything to fix the DU problems that have been plaguing so many owners in this and other forums. If I had all the problems you had with your car, I probably would have called a lawyer a long time ago. And I'm a Teslaholic, it takes a lot for me to say that.
I'm not a litigious person. And since a detrimental issue didn't occur during the first year of ownership, Lemon Law is a toss up. While I had many issues first year, nothing that prevented operation of the vehicle (Other then UMC Failures, but vehicle was still derivable). If I went in front of a Jury, I may win a Lemon Suit, however, if I were to loose, the legal fees would bankrupt me.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you doing on MS referrals?
13 referrals, so at least I'll have some referral credit to keep my car running after my extended service agreement expires in December/January (Due to mileage).

- - - Updated - - -

They're not going to give you a new car. You're better off selling it as soon as it's fixed and buying a new one.

Due to the mileage on my vehicle, it's not worth much. This is a vehicle I had planned to keep for at least 8 years and factored that into my purchase decision. Much included of Tesla's claim of Low Maintenance and High Reliability.
Tesla will take a trade, but at a devaluation of $1/mile for trade in's....

- - - Updated - - -

My drive unit gets replaced this Wed. Car was manufactured in May 2015, 11k miles. Been hearing the "milling sound" since about 8k miles.

Is there any knowledge about what's going wrong? I was told mine has a short - electricity is flowing through the motor bearings. Is this the same issue all drive units have, or most? Or are they all over the map? Hoping I don't start down the road of multiple failures.

Don't see how buying a new car would help, based on my experience. My 2013 never had drive unit failure - 18k miles in 2 yrs of driving.
My second drive unit had the Milling noise, and got same answer, power flowing through a bearing.

- - - Updated - - -

Have we been able to discern at all if the dual-motor versions are better at DU failures than RWD models? Because if they are, then I would take that to mean we already have Tesla's "resolution" for it; get rid of RWD.
I personally haven't looked into the Dual Motor version's failure rate, sorry cant comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Would agree completely but with all the videos he makes he would never be able to off load it, even with a huge price reduction. It's like the book that George Costanza took into the bathroom.
Agreed, my only hope is that someone nails me and totals it. Almost the entire life of my car is on video. I gave up recording all the nitpicky and small stuff, otherwise I'd have another 100 videos. But all the major stuff is covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, got word back from the service center. Logs have been reviewed and sent to engineering. Engineering's report back was that I must update to the ugly function-loosing Firmware 7.
Ironic that this happens the day after firmware 7 comes out and that updating to 7 should fix the issue. So looks like i'm going to need to bite the bullet and update. I suppose this is good for everyone who isn't updating, as I'll be able to do a In depth video on firmware 7 on the "Classic" model S. So far it hasn't happened again since Friday, but then, I only did a non stop drive on the freeway and a few short in town drives.

If the problem continues with V7 firmware, then a service visit would be required.

PERSONAL OPINION: The loss of power seems more like a loose connection, or a problem with the inverter.

Just a thread update:

Got drive unit #4 installed over the past weekend. Picked up car Monday, and drove the 60 miles home. The latest #4 drive unit, Revision "Q" Was silent when I left the service center. By the time I got home, it had developed the Milling noise, though, it's different this time then the last time I had the Milling Noise. The last time, on drive unit #2, the Milling noise was dependent on how much input power I was giving the vehicle with the accelerator. This time, however, it is independent of input power, and does it at speed only, 20+ Mph, higher the speed, higher the pitch.
Where as I believe the Milling Noise on DU #2 was Electronic, I believe in DU #4 it is Mechanical (Faulty Bering maybe?). I already alerted service center. I'm seeing how much it progresses this week, as I have about 1,000 miles to do between now and Monday evening.
It started fairly silent, and is progressively getting worse.

Just a thread update:

Got drive unit #4 installed over the past weekend. Picked up car Monday, and drove the 60 miles home. The latest #4 drive unit, Revision "Q" Was silent when I left the service center. By the time I got home, it had developed the Milling noise, though, it's different this time then the last time I had the Milling Noise. The last time, on drive unit #2, the Milling noise was dependent on how much input power I was giving the vehicle with the accelerator. This time, however, it is independent of input power, and does it at speed only, 20+ Mph, higher the speed, higher the pitch.
Where as I believe the Milling Noise on DU #2 was Electronic, I believe in DU #4 it is Mechanical (Faulty Bering maybe?). I already alerted service center. I'm seeing how much it progresses this week, as I have about 1,000 miles to do between now and Monday evening.
It started fairly silent, and is progressively getting worse.

What on earth are you doing to your drive units? lol... j/k

@islandbayy quick question my car has started to shudder at very very low speeds like when going from stop brake to gas and j don't seem to notice it at higher speeds. It seems to be getting stronger. I haven't said anything to my SC yet because I can already see the eyes rolling but with any of your DU's have you had this happen? I'm on #2 currently with approx 40k miles on this one

FWIW I have two friends with D's and they've both had their front DU's swapped out.