Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Battery Died!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Just thought I would post a warning here to stay within your battery warranty! I was such a HUGE Tesla fan. Got a Model 3 as soon as I could get my hands on one in 2018 with all the features short of the performance model. I got the enchanted autopilot and FSD. I loved the car but the customer service I received was sub par from Tesla over the years of ownership. A couple of weeks ago - I was doing a road trip from the East Coast to the West Coast. I got some unusual 'unable to charge, try a different charger' error messages near the end of my charge. Decided to stop at a Tesla dealer along the way to make sure everything was ok because it as hot as hell and I had my English bulldog with me and didn't want to break down somewhere. Service ensured me everything was ok and that maybe because I had the car in dog mode 'it made the battery too cold' and then said that my best bet was to look on the forums and see what other people are saying! I continued to drive and at the next supercharger - the car wouldn't charge - spewed out a handful of errors including - unable to start - so now I was stuck in very hot weather at a sketchy supercharging location with my dog. Progressive tried for 4 hours to get me tows but no one wanted to come rescue me - eventually after 100s of attempts the car suddenly started and I was able to drive it in the middle of the night to the next Tesla service station with 5 miles to spare. I rented a gas car and continued on my trip leaving my Tesla behind. Every day I tried to get a hold of someone in service to talk to them about my car to no avail. Eventually I was able to and they told me I need a new battery or possibly a new drive unit or maybe both among other possible things that might need to be changed. My battery warranty was to 125K and I was at 132K. Tesla said there was nothing they could do for me and that I would just have to spend my own money fixing it. I took excellent care of the care and had planned to drive it beyond the miles on it. It was a very sad moment to know that the cost of repairs which were kind of open ended were cost prohibitive. So this car only lasts until end of the battery warranty?! I was the biggest Tesla advocate but now I do not know what to think. My only advice - stay within the battery warranty!!

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484
Too bad it happened to you just out of warranty, but that is how warranties are unfortunately, and you can get unlucky (while there are others that are well over the warranty). BTW I believe the 2018 Model 3 LR only had a 120k mile battery warranty (not 125k). The SR/MR had a 100k mile battery warranty. Only the 60kWh S/X had 125k mile.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_3_New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_NA_en.pdf

If you still had your car, you probably could have at least done some self diagnosis on the error message to determine if it might be a different issue, given Tesla now has a reference to the exact error messages.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Tesla also provides free access to their service manual.
Tesla Service

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
Hi All,

Just thought I would post a warning here to stay within your battery warranty! I was such a HUGE Tesla fan. Got a Model 3 as soon as I could get my hands on one in 2018 with all the features short of the performance model. I got the enchanted autopilot and FSD. I loved the car but the customer service I received was sub par from Tesla over the years of ownership. A couple of weeks ago - I was doing a road trip from the East Coast to the West Coast. I got some unusual 'unable to charge, try a different charger' error messages near the end of my charge. Decided to stop at a Tesla dealer along the way to make sure everything was ok because it as hot as hell and I had my English bulldog with me and didn't want to break down somewhere. Service ensured me everything was ok and that maybe because I had the car in dog mode 'it made the battery too cold' and then said that my best bet was to look on the forums and see what other people are saying! I continued to drive and at the next supercharger - the car wouldn't charge - spewed out a handful of errors including - unable to start - so now I was stuck in very hot weather at a sketchy supercharging location with my dog. Progressive tried for 4 hours to get me tows but no one wanted to come rescue me - eventually after 100s of attempts the car suddenly started and I was able to drive it in the middle of the night to the next Tesla service station with 5 miles to spare. I rented a gas car and continued on my trip leaving my Tesla behind. Every day I tried to get a hold of someone in service to talk to them about my car to no avail. Eventually I was able to and they told me I need a new battery or possibly a new drive unit or maybe both among other possible things that might need to be changed. My battery warranty was to 125K and I was at 132K. Tesla said there was nothing they could do for me and that I would just have to spend my own money fixing it. I took excellent care of the care and had planned to drive it beyond the miles on it. It was a very sad moment to know that the cost of repairs which were kind of open ended were cost prohibitive. So this car only lasts until end of the battery warranty?! I was the biggest Tesla advocate but now I do not know what to think. My only advice - stay within the battery warranty!!

People tend to be optimistic that they will escape big repair bills after the new car warranty ran out.

Just because it’s a big battery, that doesn’t mean it will last forever.

Hi All,

That really sucks!

I know 132K miles is not a small amount, but with all Elon said about the longevity of Teslas, I was expecting it to start kicking around 200K!

It does raise an interesting question, what can you really do other than pay for a new/remanufactured battery or sell the car without a functioning battery for pennies?

Remind me to damage my battery before my warranty is up! 😂

Too bad it happened to you just out of warranty, but that is how warranties are unfortunately, and you can get unlucky (while there are others that are well over the warranty). BTW I believe the 2018 Model 3 LR only had a 120k mile battery warranty (not 125k). The SR/MR had a 100k mile battery warranty. Only the 60kWh S/X had 125k mile.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_3_New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_NA_en.pdf

If you still had your car, you probably could have at least done some self diagnosis on the error message to determine if it might be a different issue, given Tesla now has a reference to the exact error messages.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Tesla also provides free access to their service manual.
Tesla Service
Thanks for all the links, much appreciated! I was able to send the codes to two different 3rd party vendors and they said I would have to ship the car to them for them to diagnose which can be btw 1500 to 2100 depending on the vendor. Trying to figure out what to do. I guess I was blindsided because they hyped the battery life to me quite a bit when I bought it so I didn't expect to go dead shortly after the warranty was up!.

People tend to be optimistic that they will escape big repair bills after the new car warranty ran out.

Just because it’s a big battery, that doesn’t mean it will last forever.
I hear you. I never expected the battery to last forever but I guess I just didn't expect to die shortly after the warranty was up. When I bought it the sales ppl told me that at minimum the battery would last 200K so my expectations naively were different!

That really sucks!

I know 132K miles is not a small amount, but with all Elon said about the longevity of Teslas, I was expecting it to start kicking around 200K!

It does raise an interesting question, what can you really do other than pay for a new/remanufactured battery or sell the car without a functioning battery for pennies?

Remind me to damage my battery before my warranty is up! 😂
Sure does, thanks! Yes when I bought it, the sales ppl tooted that the battery would last a minimum of 200K so I was shocked when it died shortly after warranty was up.

So apparently, I am not alone. One of the EV 3rd party repair shops in Cali told me that even if I ship it out to him, he won't be able to look at it for at least 5 weeks since he has so many Tesla's in line already with battery problems ahead of me. This was surprising to me since I figured that I might be an anomoly.

Yes, don't play roulette with that battery warranty ! lol

The likelihood that you would have both a pack failure and a drive unit failure at the exact same time are vanishingly small. I would not conclude anything until you've obtained a more definitive diagnosis.
Hey - thanks, I figure that also. Tesla service is just so unreliable. Everyone I talk to there tells me a different story and they have the car with them to diagnose away. Currently, I am working on getting the car shipped out to me so that I can figure out a solution in person which might include auctioning it as is. The car battery cannot handle a supercharger - it seems that the car will charge on a home charger, Tesla service charged it up. But, when I told them that I will be getting the car shipped to me - they said, oh no, it's not safe, the battery could catch on fire any minute. We need to take you car in isolation and discharge the battery which can cost around $850. I then asked them if it was so dangerous, why had they been driving it almost everyday to different parking spots (I had been watching them on my app). - They didn't have an answer.

I hear you. I never expected the battery to last forever but I guess I just didn't expect to die shortly after the warranty was up. When I bought it the sales ppl told me that at minimum the battery would last 200K so my expectations naively were different!
agree as a toyota owner I just expect 200k, but the more I read the more I feel its a 100k mile design- over time batteries will improve, but feel bad you got stuck

Reactions: EVcommuter
Just thought I would post a warning here to stay within your battery warranty! I was such a HUGE Tesla fan. Got a Model 3 as soon as I could get my hands on one in 2018 with all the features short of the performance model. I got the enchanted autopilot and FSD.
First I would love to hear about this enchanted autopilot feature you purchased. Sounds enlightening.
Your story should really be; your battery died out of warranty. Things go bad out of warranty, doesn’t mean everyone’s will. You’re the minority, not the majority. Only the ones who have issues report them.
Unfortunately it happened to you, but it doesn’t mean the battery only lasts until the end of warranty. It actually made it 7k miles past warranty for you. Having anything outside of warranty is your responsibility, can’t see how you can really complain.

Hey - thanks, I figure that also. Tesla service is just so unreliable. Everyone I talk to there tells me a different story and they have the car with them to diagnose away. Currently, I am working on getting the car shipped out to me so that I can figure out a solution in person which might include auctioning it as is. The car battery cannot handle a supercharger - it seems that the car will charge on a home charger, Tesla service charged it up.
Then it might not be a broken HV battery and certainly has nothing to do with the drive unit. I skimmed through the errors and it suggests that it's a charging fault.

Just as a sanity check, how long ago did you replace your 12v battery? Sometimes when that is on the way out, it can cause a ton of error messages.

I would seriously consider the possibility that this Tesla service center is looking at you as Mr./Ms. Moneybags that they are going to take to the cleaners. They have you where they want you. Your car is hundreds or thousands of miles away from home, and like Ben Kenobi, they're your only hope in your dire hour of need.

If you decide to transport the car home, then that is your right. It's not like they can hold your car hostage. Make them cite a law. Maybe after you book a transporter for your car home, they will realize they have lost out on this job and suddenly discover a much cheaper fix (like replacing the 12V battery lol).

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear you story EVcommuter. I know about Gruber Motor Company, one the east coast I think. They only (as far as I know) rebuild/repair Model S battery packs. I wonder if there are any companies on the west coast who do that on Model 3 batteries...just a thought, others may know. Good luck.

First I would love to hear about this enchanted autopilot feature you purchased. Sounds enlightening.
Your story should really be; your battery died out of warranty. Things go bad out of warranty, doesn’t mean everyone’s will. You’re the minority, not the majority. Only the ones who have issues report them.
Unfortunately it happened to you, but it doesn’t mean the battery only lasts until the end of warranty. It actually made it 7k miles past warranty for you. Having anything outside of warranty is your responsibility, can’t see how you can really complain.
Thank you for your unkind response. I hope your day gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.