Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Reviews From the Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is kind of a cross-post from the Model X subforum, but it is News and all of it glowing and welcome after the long wait for Tesla's third automobile offering. Everyone needs a few moments of good reports - Tesla, Elon and forum members.

TheVerge
: Tesla’s Model X is finally here, and I got to drive it | The Verge

Jalopnik
: What Its Like To Drive The Tesla Model X

Road and Track: Tesla Model X Driving Impressions: It's Unsettlingly Fast

Motor Trend: This Electric Crossover is Full of Awesome Tech Surprises
2016 Tesla Model X: 15 Things to Know About the EV CUV All Pages

Wired: Tesla’s Model X Is Here, and It’s as Awesome as We Hoped
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/tesla-m...l-specs-price/

USA Today: First drive: Tesla Model X is an awesome way to spend $132,000

Car and Driver: 2016 Tesla Model X: Tesla's Electric Crossover Finally Spreads Its Wings
Enter the electric falcon.
2016 Tesla Model X Official Photos and Info Car and Driver

Gizmodo: Tesla's Model X Is Finally Here: The Stuff We Didn't Already Know (UPDATED)
Teslat Already Know (UPDATED)

Mashable: Tesla Model X revealed: 250-mile range, Falcon Wing doors, Ludicrous mode

Business Insider: Here is the Tesla Model X - Business Insider

Green Car Reports: Tesla Model X: The New Safest SUV?

CNET: Tesla Model X: Getting behind the wheel of an all-electric, high-performance SUV
2016 Tesla Model X Preview - CNET

AOL video:
Tesla Model X Test Drive - AOL On

Fox Business: Tesla Model X a 'Litmus Test' for SUVs and Luxury Cars
Tesla Model X a for SUVs and Luxury Cars | Fox Business

Venture Beat decided to write something different to get more clicks. Writing yet another glowing review of the actual product being revealed didn't interest them. They chose to write about stuff that will be quickly forgotten and will make no difference to X sales. And then in the closing paragraph the writer comes out and admits that what he is writing about doesn't matter, quote:
"Tesla will go on. The Model X will sell well. And Elon Musk will continue to be an outrageously successful individual. But it could have been much better."
Hilarious.

I could not agree more there were some wonderful surprises at this unavailing of the Model X. I hope I don't come off negative but my thought when the Model X pulled out on the stage with the Trailer attached was,
1) How is that going to work when it is time to charge on a road trip?
Almost all of the Super Chargers I have seen need to be backed into when charging, I don't recall seeing any that are pull through. Will it be necessary to unhook the trailer to Charge the Model X was my only thought?
I am sure Elon is probably working on that solutions now.
2) Perhaps he will start a trailer and camper division. These campers and trailers will have a battery and electric motor of there own to extend the range, and when plugged into the Model X it could sync up and share power and motor speed. It would need to be super charge capable as well.
3) New stalls could be installed that were pull through with two super chargers one for the Model X and one for the Trailer.
I don't think that would ever happen but would be the solution.
4) this same design would work to replace Semi-Trucks as well.
Just a thought.

I could not agree more there were some wonderful surprises at this unavailing of the Model X. I hope I don't come off negative but my thought when the Model X pulled out on the stage with the Trailer attached was,
Almost all of the Super Chargers I have seen need to be backed into when charging, I don't recall seeing any that are pull through. Will it be necessary to unhook the trailer to Charge the Model X was my only thought?

I've seen a Model S with a trailer at the Vacaville site, and they just parked across 4 stalls.

I am sure Elon is probably working on that solutions now.
2) Perhaps he will start a trailer and camper division. These campers and trailers will have a battery and electric motor of there own to extend the range, and when plugged into the Model X it could sync up and share power and motor speed. It would need to be super charge capable as well.
3) New stalls could be installed that were pull through with two super chargers one for the Model X and one for the Trailer.
I don't think that would ever happen but would be the solution.

The Petaluma site is already like what you're describing.

4) this same design would work to replace Semi-Trucks as well.
Just a thought.

How many people that are buying a Model X are really going to be pulling a camper/trailer?

I will be.

- - - Updated - - -

If you've ever connected/disconnected a trailer, you know it's only a couple of simple steps. I plan to just disconnect when I need to charge. At best it adds 5 min to the stop (and that's generous).

Yes, there are some pull through Superchargers. Here's one in Rocklin, CA:

rocklin supercharger.jpg

And then there's Tech Beat: Elon Musk’s Tesla Model X launch was a marketing and PR disaster
http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/30/elon-musks-tesla-model-x-launch-was-a-marketing-and-pr-disaster/

What's wrong with these people?

I don't know I would think a disastrous presentation would be the car caught on fire or ran over a little kid. Elon Musk is not a strong public speaker and his presentations are never as slick and smoothly produced as some other tech shows, but while I didn't watch the entire thing, it looked about on par with other Tesla presentations I've seen. Personally I'd rather have a perfect car with less than perfect sales pitch than a perfect sales pitch with a less than perfect car.

I can sympathize with Musk for not being a good presenter because I sound just like him. I have a slight stutter whenever I'm talking to more than one person, and I'm absolutely horrid at public speaking.

Well, for a contrast please have a look at this presentation of the Audi Q6 E-tron concept car. Where is the fun part ?
2016 Audi e-tron quattro concept - World Debut - LIVE - Frankfurt IAA - YouTube

This man, Audi research chief Ulrich Hackenberg, did such a bad job they even fired him !
Horn, Hackenburg, Hatz to be fired as VW diesel scandal deepens

So much better do I like the Tesla Model X presentation that even brings children en babies on stage, just like in the real world.

The first presentation was board room boring..

I will be.

- - - Updated - - -

If you've ever connected/disconnected a trailer, you know it's only a couple of simple steps. I plan to just disconnect when I need to charge. At best it adds 5 min to the stop (and that's generous).

Bonnie, was anyone able to ask Tesla about the conjecture that there was a second charge port on the passenger side as seen on the mules? Seems to me in some cases it would be easier to park nose in for most Superchargers than disconnect a trailer to back into a Supercharger...

Bonnie, was anyone able to ask Tesla about the conjecture that there was a second charge port on the passenger side as seen on the mules? Seems to me in some cases it would be easier to park nose in for most Superchargers than disconnect a trailer to back into a Supercharger...

I haven't asked. Which should tell you how inconsequential it is to me to disconnect/reconnect my trailer. :) (If I thought it was a problem, I'd be asking...)

This was the first Tesla presentation I'd ever watched, and I have to admit it did seem to be a bit less smooth than I would have expected at times. My take on it was there was too much Elon Musk was taking on himself, or maybe I'm just not as deep into the cult of personality that surrounds him even though I have a lot of admiration for what he has done and even more for what he is trying to do. It seemed a better way to go about it would be to to have Elon MC the event and talk about some aspects of the X, especially things where his enthusiasm and knowledge base is the highest, and then have different person from each division (safety, performance, etc.) talk about what they brought to the car. Not only would it be a better presentation, it would also be healthier for the company. Get those division heads out in the public eye showing the passion and innovation of each of their respective groups and potential successors for when Elon moves on to SpaceX full time will become apparent. Empower the team, don't bet the farm on one guy. Just my $02.