Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And we thought ICEing was bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
Check out this clueless driver.

3e4423a7d4a565acf0eaf5928c4033aa.jpg

Gotta love the helicopter shadow in the picture. Almost too convenient to not suspect photoshop.
Absolutely photoshopped. The car shadow indicates the sun is far left, yet the helicopter shadow (if the picture is taken from the helicopter as you would expect) suggest the sun is more behind the camera.

Absolutely photoshopped. The car shadow indicates the sun is far left, yet the helicopter shadow (if the picture is taken from the helicopter as you would expect) suggest the sun is more behind the camera.

I might be missing something, but since the helicopter is not in the picture, how can you tell anything by where its shadow is? Also: based on the shadow of the car, the sun is not far left, it is almost directly overhead. Whereas a helicopter taking the photo would be... almost directly overhead. I don't see a problem here. Maybe the image has been altered, but I don't see any easy evidence of that.

I don't know if the picture is photoshopped or not, but the photo could not have been taken from the helicopter because the angle of the photo is inconsistent with the angle of the helicopter's shadow. It is possible that it was taken from a building adjacent to the helipad (presumably a hospital).

Dangerous. Helicopters don't land with pinpoint precision.
Any Rotorcraft pilot who has earned an ATP or even Commercial rating has demonstrated plenty of precision equal to handling that situation. Smart pilots probably will try to find an alternative place to land. Anyway, on many heliports i have used there is equipment, trees or other obstructions very close to the landing pads. Not ideal but certainly well within normal pilot skills. The driver of the car ought to be severely chastised, assuming the photo wasn't photoshopped , that is. The pad is not marked unsafe so it looks real to me. BTW, I'm a Helicopter and airplane pilot ATP and Flight Instructor, but no longer active..

cant make from the helicopter shadow it is is an apache?

No. several things it could be, but it's too rounded for an Apache, and that lower protrusion (either landing gear or FLIR turret,) is in the wrong place. I'm assuming it is a local flight for life or police helicopter - Sikorsky S76, Bell 432, Agusta 109, Eurocopter 135 or something of that ilk.

Hi everybody

This picture is funny, but there's another possibility than a "not so smart" driver parked wrong. I might also be possible that they drove someone to the helipad, and then the helicopter took off before the vehicle was removed. The angle of the shadow of the helicopter seems to indicate it's located at the vertical of the pad, aligned with the direction of the H, as if vertically lifting from a point between the H and the circle.

My 2 cents :)

Have a nice day