Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help: Need a recommended electrican in the Denver area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
Can anyone in the Denver area recommend an electrician for upgrading the electrical in my garage? I've been trying for over 3 months and am not having any luck so far.

The first electrician came out and charged a trip fee and an hourly fee, so no free estimate. The main purpose of the trip was to get an estimate on upgrading the subpanel in the garage and adding two 14-50 outlets. While he was there, we asked him about a few other projects around the house and he was unable to do 3 out of 5 requests. $400 later, we had only had one new 5-20 outlet installed (for a light in the garage) and a new wire run to an existing switch. We waited weeks to for an estimate and he finally replied that it would be $5000 to upgrade the panel/subpanel and $2000 to install two chargers. As I've mentioned in other posts, we never asked him to install chargers. We asked for two 14-50 outlets. $7000 seems outrageous, especially considering it was for work that we didn't ask to have done.

Feeling frustrated and shocked by that estimate, we contacted the local Tesla Gallery in Lone Tree, CO. They said they would send us a list of electricians in the area. The email never came. We called back two or three times and reminded them of our request. Still no email.

Tesla then launched their "recommended electricians" page and we tried contacting them. After 4 attempts (three via website and one phone call), we finally were able to schedule an appointment for an estimate. They came out and I thought things were going to be great. The owner seemed to understand exactly what we were asking for and suggested ways of cutting costs. I was optimistic that this would be the guy to go with. They said they'd have an estimate back to us within three days. They never sent an estimate. After a week, I emailed them. No response. Another week went by so we called and left voice mails. No response. A few more days went by so we called again. They said the "estimator" was out and they'd get back to us on Monday. Monday came and went and still no estimate. We called again on Tuesday and they said we'd have something to us today. I'm not holding my breath but tomorrow marks 3 weeks since they came out to the house and we still have no estimate from a Tesla recommended electrician.

It's a simple enough job and we're probably going to spend thousands of dollars on this electrical upgrade. We have been polite and courteous with every inquiry we've made so I don't understand why it's so hard to even get an estimate or even to have our calls returned.

If anyone can provide the name of an electrician in the Denver area that you can recommend, please do. If I ever get my electrical upgraded, I will let you know which electrician I decided to go with...and which ones I did not choose.

Thanks in advance!

Wow, that's terrible. I have an electrician that I used a few years back for some non-EV-related work, but he was excellent (and quite fairly priced, I thought):

Brian Sears
Sundog Electric
303-503-0081
[email protected]

Good luck!
SunDog is coming out tomorrow to take a look. They said they are backed up a month but at least they are coming out right away to check things out. Hopefully they get back quickly with the estimate.

I used Greiner Electric, and they did a great job, and were able to come out pretty quickly and set it up.

Thanks. I'll give Greiner a call and set something up. I would've called them sooner but their site made it look like they did more commercial than residential.

- - - Updated - - -

Sweet. Hopefully he works out for you.

SunDog came out on Friday and sent me an estimate over the weekend. Amazing response time compared to the other electrician who still never called me back with an estimate.

Thanks. I'll give Greiner a call and set something up. I would've called them sooner but their site made it look like they did more commercial than residential.

I'm in the Morrison area if you want to see the work they did in my garage.
How long did it take for Greiner to get back with you? After your recommendation, they came out and promised a quote within 3 days. That was 13 days ago...

I was going to ask when I could stop by to check out the work that they did for you but it looks like they don't want my business.