Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove the rear spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's held there with industrial strength double-sided tape. I've not tried removing it, but I'm interested to know. It would be useful to remove it while installing paint protection film.

Take some dental floss and slowly work it under the tape. (Note: this has been posted, I've not actually done it myself, but the Suntek installer used that technique on my car to remove the "T"s without any problems.)

Leave the spoiler on until you lift the tailgate into a low hanging garage ceiling or someone operates the garage door while the tailgate is open. The spoiler will take damage better than the soft paint. And if the spoiler sacrafices itself, use some dental floss to remove and naked rear tailgate is good as new.

Take some dental floss and slowly work it under the tape. (Note: this has been posted, I've not actually done it myself, but the Suntek installer used that technique on my car to remove the "T"s without any problems.)

Some heat will also help. A heat gun on a low setting or a hair dryer will ease some of the grip of the adhesive. If you get the bond broken at one edge with dental floss, an old credit card makes a nice tool to get a bit of leverage in lifting trim and shouldn't harm the paint at all.

Without heat, you may find the dental floss breaks frequently.

You will probably have some tape and/or adhesive to clean up after the part is removed.