Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing sunroof interior cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to remove the interior cover over the sunroof motor (I think?). I have a 2013 MS with a rattle from the sunroof area, and if I open that up I'm pretty sure I can add some foam to stop it. Just not sure how to do it workout breaking clips. I attached a picture of the part in talking about in case it's not clear...

Attachments

• PXL_20240424_224047164~2.jpg
    PXL_20240424_224047164~2.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 6
Sunroof motor’s are not under that panel, they are below A pillar on both sides buried in the front dashboard. Your rattle might be from the sunroof rails and the guides that run on them. Better clean them up and re-lubricate to see if this helps.

Thanks to you both. I'm pretty sure it's that panel itself -- if I reach up and apply just a little bit of pressure, it stops. But probably good idea to clean the guides too.

Regarding the instructions from the Tesla manual, is the black piece there the "headlining center trim" (or "center headlining trim"), or is it the cross rail? And any secrets to releasing the clips or spigots without breaking anything? (I'm generally handy around the house, but have done very little with the car...) Any hints or links are appreciated!

2024-04-25_14-30-56.png

Usually you need panel removal tools to get the clips and spigots released smoothly. The clips might also be metallic so probably need some more force. We can’t give any specific answers so you need to look there on your own.

Sunroof motor’s are not under that panel, they are below A pillar on both sides buried in the front dashboard. Your rattle might be from the sunroof rails and the guides that run on them. Better clean them up and re-lubricate to see if this helps.

Here is how the motor is hidden, this is the drivers side. Lower dash panel have been removed. Yours might not be that clear as the premium amplifier is located there if you have the UHFS system on your car.

1BA7C519-D333-465A-8B21-904BAEA9B3E5.jpeg
9E388F29-6CFD-466A-8ED5-FD934572BED1.jpeg

Reactions: Drewsd