Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaf compared to i-MiEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Was there even a reason to compare the two, when there isn't even a comparison? The two cars are no where near in the same class or feature set (iMiev is a subcompact, and the Leaf is a small car). Just because they are both electric they should be compared? Well since both a hummer and a Smart for two have a ICE they should be compared as well? I can't stand motor trend sometimes, their comparisons are idiotic (I recall watching a video review of the Lexus LS600hl and every second sentence had the word Prius in it).

With so few production EVs on the market over the next 2 years it is about the best they could do I gather.
How about Leaf vs. Coda?

how about the Ford Focus EV, Rav4EV, Coda EV, MINI-E, along with the Volvo EV. There going to be 10 evs on the road around 2012. Match up the classes correctly, maybe they should do a comparison between LEAF and a Tesla Roadster?

Yes it will be nice when there are enough choices to make more comparable comparisons.

When we can actually get a Teslota/Toyesla Rav4EV is yet to be seen.
Also, are they making any more Mini-EVs? It seems like a trial program that is winding down.

Perhaps we get something like this:

Wave 1:
Leaf + MiEV + Coda (2011)
Wave 2:
Focus EV + Volvo EV (2012)
Wave 3:
BMW 1-series + Daimler A-class + VW Golf + Rav4EV ? (2013) ?

( Dates are a guess. Not including higher end cars like Model S, nor series hybrid like Volt / Fisker. )

Last edited:
Forget Leaf vs i-MiEV. In the next few months we will be inundated with Leaf vs Volt comparisons.

I think both are valid comparisons - because they are competing for the same customers.

I can only see the comparisons for the Leaf vs Volt, but they aren't in the same price category. Once you breach that 40k price point that leaves you squarely in the territory of affluent lux buyers. The Lease price (leaf and volt) is very close, but with dealers slapping on a close to 20k premium on top, that quoted lease price might be few and far between. You might as well compare the Volt and the Karma....

Was there even a reason to compare the two, when there isn't even a comparison? The two cars are no where near in the same class or feature set (iMiev is a subcompact, and the Leaf is a small car). Just because they are both electric they should be compared? Well since both a hummer and a Smart for two have a ICE they should be compared as well? I can't stand motor trend sometimes, their comparisons are idiotic (I recall watching a video review of the Lexus LS600hl and every second sentence had the word Prius in it).

What are you talking about? I love Motor Trends comparisons. Remember when they compared a Robin Reliant and a Mazda RX8?

ReliantRobin.jpg

I remember that episode. They said they couldn't find out which one was better because they could never finish shooting the episode. The Reliant kept on flipping over.