Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Nissan Leaf charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - We have a nissan leaf EV and just got a Model YLR. I am using the nissan Leaf charger (J1772) with the adapter for our Tesla (I have just one 220V outlet and can charge one vehicle at a time - and wanted to save $$ to avoid getting a tesla charger which will be a headache swapping out everytime). Any concerns using this long term? Or is it better to get a tesla charger?

Thanks!

In a few cases older J1772 EVSE dating back to the Gen1 Nissan Leaf have had some firmware compatibility issues when charging a Tesla vehicle. You don't have to do anything special. Just attach the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter to the J1772 connector. You can open the Tesla charge port cover from the Tesla screen or from the Tesla app; also by pressing lightly on the charge port cover (Tesla must be unlocked, awake to open the charge port this way.) If the Tesla is unlocked inside the garage but in Sleep mode just crack open any door to place the Tesla Model Y in Standby mode. After about 5 seconds the Tesla Model Y will be in Standby mode and pressing lightly on the charge port cover will open the charge port.

When charging has completed what you want to do is squeeze and release the trigger on the J1772 charging connector. Don't squeeze and hold the trigger button. After you release the J1772 trigger button the status light of the charge port on the Tesla Model Y should change from green (charging) or blue (charging complete) to white (unlocked). Then pull the J1772 connector from the charge port. The Tesla SAE J1772 adapter should release from the charge port, not remain in the charge port. Then you can separate the Tesla adapter from the J1772 connector by squeezing and holding the trigger button, else leave the Tesla adapter in place if you know you will be charging the Tesla again soon. You can purchase an additional Tesla SAE J1772 from the Tesla store for $50 so you can leave one at home and take the other adapter with you in the Tesla Model Y.

Hello - We have a nissan leaf EV and just got a Model YLR. I am using the nissan Leaf charger (J1772) with the adapter for our Tesla (I have just one 220V outlet and can charge one vehicle at a time - and wanted to save $$ to avoid getting a tesla charger which will be a headache swapping out everytime). Any concerns using this long term? Or is it better to get a tesla charger?

Thanks!
Get the Tesla Charger

Any concerns using this long term?
Absolutely none at all. I bought the Nisssan (AeroVironment) EVSE in 2011 for my 2012 LEAF. In 2018 added a Model 3. I’ve charged both cars on the LEAF EVSE since. Both cars are fine. I’ve added an Ioniq5 to the EV fleet and use the same EVSE for it as well.

The Nissan EVSE is a dumb charging station, i.e., no intelligence for things like scheduling, multi-unit communication, no WiFi, no usage reporting. So a pretty simple and flawless unit since all of the intelligence features are in all of the vehicles anyway. The J1772 nozzle works perfectly with the LEAF and Ioniq5. For the Model 3 just add the included adapter. Again, all work flawlessly.

Until NACS is present on all my EVs, likely sometime 2025 or later, I’m keeping the EVSE I have. Post NACS, then I’ll think about it more.

the nissan charger is well built, would outlast the tesla mobile charger...
Possibly. My initial Nissan EVSE actually lasted about six months then started throwing errors. It was replaced, including installation labor, under warranty. The second unit has lasted me the 12 years since without error and even after one de- and re-installation in a new home, hardwired. I think the simplicity of the unit after initial growing pains is the key to its longevity, along with using decent quality components. Also, a Mobile Charger, if used at all, suffers from repeated connects and disconnects, physical wear, all on top of the electronics. I’d expect it to not last as long as an immobile, dumb device too.