Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

leaf nissan experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this thread is tesla owner w previous ownership of nissan leaf...

plz post your experience...

i just picked up a 2024 leaf bc i missed my last one so much so i got ao one that looks exactly as my last one...

oh it s so much fun... light and nimble... cheap and worry free... it s really a good spongy ride compared even w my mx...

even the nissan charger is built well... i still have the old one from my last leaf that s been kicked dropped dragged and still works like day one...

as far as the car goes... it s ugly... it s range on highway is horrible w exponential increase in wh/m as speedometer goes up... and charging away from home is unbearable...

it s grocery getter... it s go cart... it s simple...

if only it came w a yoke...

Last edited:
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
this thread is tesla owner w previous ownership of nissan leaf...

plz post your experience...

i just picked up a 2024 leaf bc i missed my last one so much so i got ao one that looks exactly as my last one...

oh it s so much fun... light and nimble... cheap and worry free... it s really a good spongy ride compared even w my mx...

even the nissan charger is built well... i still have the old one from my last leaf that s been kicked dropped dragged and still works like day one...

as far as the car goes... it s ugly... it s range on highway is horrible w exponential increase in wh/m as speedometer goes up... and charging away from home is unbearable...

it s grocery getter... it s go cart... it s simple...

if only it came w a yoke...
We have had Leafs since 2011. The first generation ones were only for around town. We currently have a 2014 which we have had since it was new. It now has over 80,000 miles. No repairs needed so far. It's on its third set of tires and second 12 volt battery. It doesn't appear to have lost any range. In 9 years it has been level 3 charged once for about 10 minutes. Almost all of the rest has been level 2 at home. In early 2021 we leased a new Leaf SV+ for two years. At that point the new car market was dead and the lease price reflected state and federal tax credits and a factory rebate. The range on the SV+ was about 200 miles. We took our first real road trip last fall, and found that the public charging infrastructure was abysmal. At that point, we bought a used Tesla Model 3, bought the leaf from Nissan, and sold it to some friends as a second car to there Tesla Model Y for $5,000 more than the lease buyout price.
In some ways, the 2020 Leaf is a better car than the Model 3. The Leaf adaptive cruise control is much better than the Tesla. The blind spot warnings are much better than on our Model. 3. If the public charging infrastructure for the Leaf were as good as the Tesla, we would have kept the leaf and not bought the Tesla. At this point, I would not buy any EV to use on a road trip except a Tesla. It will take a few years for other EVs to be as easy to take on a road trip as a Tesla.

Reactions: cdub and oldsport
We bought a very early Leaf. I used it as a daily driver to take the wear, tear, and risk off of our Roadster. It was good freeway fodder and certainly more comfortable than the Roadster. It even provided a daily EV grin. We put 115,000 miles on before the Model 3 came out and we upgraded. It was passed down for the nieces and nephews as a high school car. It is still in use for that.
It was a fine commuter and grocery-getter car but a poor design by Nissan that cost them dearly. They ended up paying for 2 batteries for it because of their myopic cost-cutting of a battery thermal management system.
I tried one 700 mile road trip (350 each way). That lousy 'fast' charging was really only good for 1 fast charge per day since the battery was then too hot to fast charge more times. It did lead to a funny story though: I ran out of charge and the parking pawl locked in place - 4 feet from a CHAdeMO charger. I could literally touch the car and the charger at the same time. It took several hours to get the parking pawl to release and push it the last 4 feet so I could charge. Luckily, the charger was in a motel parking lot so I could spend the night and start with a full 'tank' the next morning and get another fast charge on the way. Definitely not a roadtrip vehicle.

Reactions: oldsport
We owned 5 Leafs: a 2015 SL, 2018 SL, 2019 SL PLus, 2020 SL Plus, 2023 SV PLus. Went from 2015 to 2018 to 2019 for range increases. Went from 2019 to 2020 due to the 2019 was totalled by a unlicensed, uninsured meth head who T-Boned us.

Traded the 2020 SL Plus for a 2023 SV plus for even trade after tax credits and 3 months later I sold the 2023 SL + back to the dealer for $5k less than I paid for it, so I was $2,500 ahead after tax credit. Then I bought our first 2023 Tesla MYLR. So all in all the Leafs didn't cost us anything after collecting $37,5000 in tax credits.

I bought a 2023 Tesla MYLR in December 2022 after price drop and a $3,750 discount. Tesla also gave buyers arter 12/15/23 - 2 years of free Supercharging. . When prices dropped in March 2023 and Tesla Y was now eligible for tax credit, I bought another MYLR for the wife. I was actually looking for a used Leaf below $25k to qualify of the $4k used tax credit but couldn't find one. My wife can't pass up a deal and the 2nd MYLR cost $17,000 less than the first after factoring in the tax credit and reduced price.

My sister bought a 2023 Leaf S back last year when they were eligible for tax credit. It cost her less than $17k after Federal and California tax credits. She loves the Leaf but regrets not having a Plus because of limited range.

The leaf was a great nibble, light handling. efficient, roomy grocery getter. In all the years I owned a Leaf I never fast charged it. 95% was charged at home and a handful of L2 free charges at the mall and beach. It's a great EV to complement a Tesla. Battery Degradation in hot Florida climate was an issue. Right now there are multiple Leaf owners where batteries have degraded below 70% and Nissan can't get batteries and they are buying the cars back.

Reactions: oldsport and cdub
I really like my Leaf. But I also very rarely have to use public charging. I've had to use it a couple of times when I had to do an unexpected errand and I was low on juice. Public chargers are better than that were before but still not a great experience compared to a Tesla.

I've owned Leafs for over 7 years - 2012 and 2021 SV+.with Tech. The Gen 1 was a auto-go-cart! It was so much fun, but 60 mile range??. Yes a Grocery getter. The Gen 2 is a fine driving car - feels super conventional and I got to really like the ProPilot. However, I need a trip capable EV, so selling the Leaf and just purchased a Model Y - so far a great car. For the first time, my wife is enjoying driving an EV - she never took to the Leaf.

Let me add to my original posting on this thread.

Our First of 5 Leafs was a 2015 SL. We bought it from a dealership that was 102 miles from home. Left the dealership at 9:30 pm with my wife following me in our Lexus. I drove in right lane of highway at 50 mph with windows closed and AC off trying to stretch the range. There was no way I was going to make it home unless I found a charger. We stopped at another closed Nissan dealer on the way. If I couldn’t get a charge after hours I was going to leave the car there overnight and come back the next motprning when the dealership was open. Luckily I was able to plug into their L2 charger even though they were closed. We spent 2 hours waiting across the street at the McDonalds while getting a charge. We got home with less than 5 miles of range on the car display.

So on the way home from the dealership we had our first experience with range anxiety.

Now 8 years later as an experienced EV owner with the Tesla‘s range and abundance of superchargers there’s no more range anxiety. Boy have times changed.

My wife told me today her MYLR is the best car she’s ever owned. After 5 months of ownership when she gets in it she said she feels like she just put on a pair of old comfortable shoes. We both can’t ever see us as ICE car owners. We do have a diesel one ton dually only because it is used to tow the 5th wheel RV.

We are both 77 years old. When we give up RVing, in the next few years, I can see a Ford Lightening in my garage once Ford fully transitions to the NACS charging standard.

Last edited:
so i ve been checking up on energy efficiency on the leaf and the mx, here are some numbers:

leaf 190 wh/m
mx 250 wh/m

i would say the tesla is quite efficient compared to the leaf bc we only take the mx when it s full house whereas the leaf is just me zippin around solo...

those are the best case scenario numbers, ie:

leaf epadal eco + grandma mode
mx regen + grandma mode

lmk if y all like those numbers or not?

Chiming in with a 2015 Leaf S I leased for 3 years on a killer deal, which was my first EV.

Living in San Jose, I couldn't even take a drive to San Francisco and back since the range on the freeway was maybe less than 60 miles even when new. It was certainly very interesting trying to take advantage of Nissan's free charging program, going to the "fast" Chademo chargers only to find many were broken, especially the Blink ones.

I also remember the frequent arguments over the work EV charging email list about people not moving when done, people not even plugged in but parked in a charging spot, people asking for people to move so they can get home etc. some of which still happen today, just on Slack nowadays.

when i first got the leaf and the tesla... i drove em like i stole em... so much fun...

after awhile the frequent trips to the evgo and supercharger annoyed me bc home charging is slow...

so now i just drive it like i would ice vehicles... keep up w traffic and that s it... now it s fine as i rarely charge away from home... i switch between the 2 cars...

i think personally havin a leaf and model x is alot of fun... one is very basic no hassle driving and the other is just complicated enuff to never bore you...

As I've posted previously, I'm selling my 2021 SV+ with tech for a very reasonable price considering that it's low mileage, loaded and in like new condition. For anyone interested - especially anyone that qualifies for the available $4000 tax credit, you can take a closer look.
2021 Nissan LEAF SV Plus - Find My Electric

Note that I'm using a "dealer" option for the sale which helps ensures transparency, reduces risk, and allows the tax credit to be available.

As I've posted previously, I'm selling my 2021 SV+ with tech for a very reasonable price considering that it's low mileage, loaded and in like new condition. For anyone interested - especially anyone that qualifies for the available $4000 tax credit, you can take a closer look.

Note that I'm using a "dealer" option for the sale which helps ensures transparency, reduces risk, and allows the tax credit to be available.

hey maybe you can share your experience w the sv+... that d be great...

and that s a good price too...

Sure - overall my experience with the SV+ has been excellent:
  • Essentially no maintenance - brake fluid change was done, but necessary??
  • Highway driving - 3.9 mi/kWh avg.
  • Around town driving - 4.3 mi/kWh avg.
  • Love single pedal driving
  • Zippy/fun driving especially around town - so easy to park
  • Good quality interior with great mix of intuitive controls
  • Saved over $3000 in "fuel" as my option was a Suburban
  • Quite spacious cargo areas in back and folding seats (I haul lots of stuff)
  • I use LeafSpy Pro, so range was never an anxiety:D
The reasons I'm selling are;
  1. My wife really took to the Tesla Model Y SUV - only need one EV
  2. I get her old car that can pull my motorcycle
  3. I don't believe Nissan will ever embrace V2X even though the CHAdeMO has had the protocols for about 10 years!
Take a look;

I had a 2015 Leaf S that I drove for 3 years then got a 2018 Leaf SV. Both were good cars with no major issues requiring service. I got the 2015 for $25000 out the door after it sat on the lot at my local Nissan dealer for almost a year. After the tax credit it cost me $17,500 net witht taxes and fees included. Battery degradation on the 2015 became a bit of an issue because I had a 60 mile round trip commute and 84 miles of nominal range. It was a tight commute to start with but once I lost 5% of range cold days became nearly impossible to do without going to the dealer at lunch to top it off... which was why I got the 2018. I actually leased the 2018 and it was a great second car and I would probably still have it if I hadn't test drove a dual motor model 3 with a buddy just for the hell of it. The performance difference between the Tesla and the Leaf just blew me away and the Tesla charging experience was much better than the CHAdeMO one so I sold the Leaf and got a Tesla. But there was nothing wrong with the Leaf it was a great little commuter car for around town.

update on the leaf... finally tested the nissan propilot feature on my 2024 sv+... i think the autosteer is pretty good relative to the tesla autopilot...

similarities between the two is sudden disengagement at certain sections of the highway... much more frequent w autopilot...

differences are that autopilot has a much better warning when it disengages, the sensor software integration of propilot isn t as shophisticated and tends to hug the left side of lane whereas autopilot keeps car centered better...

overall i m quite amazed at how well autosteer works on the leaf...

• Informative
Reactions: Earl and cdub
Leaf's are charming little around-the-city cars. Range and battery health are iffy, but the warranty is good.

I wouldn't pay $40k for one new with a Model 3 SR near to the same price. But I did grab a 4 year old one for my daughter for $15k, and then the assorted EV rebates... at that price it's a screaming value even with it down a ways on range since new - 8 year battery warranty will handle it when it finally throws error codes.

Very light on its feet, easy to park, positive attitude and rattle-free.

Reactions: oldsport and Earl
Leaf's are charming little around-the-city cars. Range and battery health are iffy, but the warranty is good.

I wouldn't pay $40k for one new with a Model 3 SR near to the same price. But I did grab a 4 year old one for my daughter for $15k, and then the assorted EV rebates... at that price it's a screaming value even with it down a ways on range since new - 8 year battery warranty will handle it when it finally throws error codes.

Very light on its feet, easy to park, positive attitude and rattle-free.

yes leaf s are very cheap right now w the 4k used ev instant rebate - informed relatives and they picked up 2 this year early january...

just leased ao 2024 leaf + and now hardly touch mx anymore...