Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D efficiency up after 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The logical part of my brain tells me this can't be possible, but here's what my car tells me. Granted, I did use the new adaptive cruise control but generally use regular cruise control anyway. Unless somehow the adaptive version is more efficient. Not sure. In my 300 miles or so usually I get 394 wh/mi and on this first trip post 6.1 I got 337.

ATTACH]68762[/ATTACH]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420855290.816434.jpg

Drove today after updating last night. As you can see there seems to have been an increase in efficiency. On the planned trip I took, I usually get 360-380 wh/mi. Now it was a beautiful 65-70 degree day in Northern California so it may have beneath warmer weather that may have caused the better battery life or that I was using the new TACC about 65% of the time. I did notice more noise from the front motor today, so they may have put more of the power to the front motor. In the release notes nothing was mentioned about idling the second motor(something that was said to be coming out in Late January). Either way it's very interesting and will require more testing.
IMG_0944.jpg

Just did 40 mile commute using TACC with heater on (set to 72 degrees, outside temp 52 degrees). Average speed around 70mph. Got 350wh/mile which is a new record low. For comparison, my old P85 was able to average around 300wh/mile for the same commute. But who knows if this is real or not.

Drove another 20 miles at 75 mph and average is 319wh/mile. Jury still out but I think torque sleep is active now. Before today I've never been able to get below about 380wh/mile regardless of how hard I tried.

Honestly don't know if its a real change or not. Could be combination of the tires being broken in, plus the warmer weather, plus the TACC, plus just "wanting" it be better. It still seems to need 30kW output to maintain 72mph cruising speed. But drove another 30 miles or so in the usual fashion and still getting a very reasonable 350wh/mile. Nothing like before where I had to struggle to get it to 400wh/mile and driving in the usual fashion resulted in 430wh/mile. If this is just placebo, then I'm really looking forward to getting torque sleep in a few weeks!

I posted about the possibility of this on Friday afternoon, in the Firmware 6.1 thread: Firmware 6.1 - Page 31

I'll copy the post below. You can check the other thread for my reference to TACC, but basically my point is that TACC is definitely less efficient than the way I would ordinarily drive, so the numbers I saw would only be better if I had not used TACC.

--
This may be crazy, but I’m wondering if I may be seeing some range improvement with 6.1. I’m attaching a screenshot of my most recent trip. I used 77 range miles to go 61.7 miles. The trip included a couple of short stops, about 30 miles of highway driving at 60-72 MPH, a fair amount of rural country roads at 40-55 MPH, and a little stop and go, traffic-light stuff, etc. The temperature was between 17 and 20 degrees the entire time, so that’s pretty darn cold. I did pre-heat the cabin a bit, and then did keep the car pretty cool, at 66 to 68 (I like it cool.) I had to use the rear defroster quite a bit, as my yellow lab was in a crate in the hatch area. I charged for about 15 minutes before setting out, so the battery was not completely cold when I left. Even so, my regen was limited for about the first half of the trip. Also, I used the TACC for probably about 70% of the trip, and as I posted a few messages upthread, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have been driving more efficiently without the TACC. What I’m saying is that I think I might have been awfully darn close to actual mile for range mile if the weather had been warmer and I had not been using the TACC. That has not been the case before. Not even close.

Am I imagining all this or has anyone else with a P85D seen any possible improvement in range since the 6.1 update?

Trip to Syracuse.jpg

Later in the that thread, when a couple of other people made reference to possibly seeing better efficiency, I wondered if perhaps we did have torque sleep enabled but without a new driving mode, and said we needed more P85D drivers giving feedback. So I'm glad this thread has started.

Did you see my post upthread, where I pose the question about possible improved efficiency? Your improvement clearly isn't due to the ACC. Do you think Tesla may have given us Torque Sleep without giving us a new driving mode, and without documenting it? We really need some more P85D owners to weigh in on this. I just had a sense of improvement, but no real numbers. You seem to have pretty good numbers, (though not "wk057-good" numbers.) We need more data, to support or refute this.

Regarding driving modes, I've left the car in insane mode all the time, based on the assumption that all driving modes (if driven the same way) result in the same efficiency.

All I was trying to say when I mentioned the driving modes was that we had been assuming the 6.1 update did not give us the torque sleep because we didn't see a new "normal" driving mode, (and because there were no release notes about it.) I was suggesting that Tesla may have actually given us the torque sleep, working it in to the existing driving modes.

I'm not seeing any improvements on my normal routes so far, TACC or otherwise.

I'll see if I can get my fiance on board for a quick side-by-side tomorrow of the P85 and P85D.

All I was trying to say when I mentioned the driving modes was that we had been assuming the 6.1 update did not give us the torque sleep because we didn't see a new "normal" driving mode, (and because there were no release notes about it.) I was suggesting that Tesla may have actually given us the torque sleep, working it in to the existing driving modes.

Ah, I see. Torque sleep may be just an undocumented addition in 6.1. And perhaps they've just decided not to have normal mode as an option.

Ah, I see. Torque sleep may be just an undocumented addition in 6.1. And perhaps they've just decided not to have normal mode as an option.

Or Tesla could still give us normal mode later. And / or they could still be tweaking this torque sleep. Or conceivably, since it is not documented, they could be giving it to some of us and not to others, and doing some sort of weird testing that we're not privy to, to help tweak things for the final release that will include a normal mode.

Lots of possibilities here.

The wiring for the front motor is pretty accessible. I could probably pretty easily pop a DC clamp meter on the leads to get an amperage, estimate a pack voltage based on SoC, and compare against the dash kW meter... if it is substantially less than the total power used than the rear motor is not sleeping.

Problem I see with this idea is that none of my DC clamp meters are remotely readable... would need to throw a cam in there with it. :p

Anyone know how hard it is to remove the bottom rear seat? lol

Is the Torque Sleep implementation so good that most of you are not aware via any sensation or feedback that it is actually happening?
Any difference in REGEN?
One poster mentioned that he thought that perhaps the front motor was a bit more louder after the 6-1 upgrade but others have not reported this.
Maybe it is not louder but rather the rear motor is Torque Sleeping? Snore... ;-)
In any case this is great news, perhaps a 20 Mile range increase at 90% charge based on my calculations.