Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small chip in the hood paint - what would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of the car one week ago. Over the weekend took a road trip up to Santa Barbara. As I was washing the car after the weekend I noticed that there's a tiny chip out of the paint on the front hood already. It's the size of a pinhead, but it's white underneath.

I also had the car opti-coated last week.

What would you recommend to repair (or just leave it)?

Would it be easy to just dab it with touch-up paint, or would that flake off? I was thinking I could do that and then have the Opti-coat guy recoat that chipped area when he comes back for the 2 week check-up.

Thoughts or ideas on what else I should be doing?

Take it to your detailer that opti-coat'ed it.
Ask him about paint armor options.. (this is why you get paint armor)

+1

It can also be repaired. By applying touch up by a skilled detailer it can also be virtually unnoticeable. It gets filled in, sanded down, and polished out. Once done have them apply XPEL so it won't reoccur. If you don't you will have more than one to worry about later. Paint is soft on this car. Its not just the front end either, my rear fenders are catching debris too.

Opticoat won't prevent chips, you need a clear wrap (aka paint armor, XPEL, etc). It's a question of what you're willing to live with. I'm not wrapped and have at least 6 chips on the hood. I'll have it touched up by a detailer this summer and do so about every year or so. As mentioned above, it's sanding, touch up paint with clear coat, repeat if necessary and polish. I could do it myself but I'm concerned about having the patience to do it right.

Pictures please...

Most likely, your detailer should be able to polish around the chip to remove opticoat, prep the chip, fill it, then re-apply opticoat....as others have mentioned, wrap the front end and it'll make your life easier. XPEL Ultimate and Suntek Topcoat are my current favorites and only films we install.

If you do decide to wrap the front end, remove the opticoat first prior to installation

Pictures please...

Most likely, your detailer should be able to polish around the chip to remove opticoat, prep the chip, fill it, then re-apply opticoat....as others have mentioned, wrap the front end and it'll make your life easier. XPEL Ultimate and Suntek Topcoat are my current favorites and only films we install.

If you do decide to wrap the front end, remove the opticoat first prior to installation

This might be good advice. However, I do have a question on removing the Opti-coat. From much of what I've read here - it seems like folks recommend putting the Opti-coat on before a paint armor and in particular with the Xpel. Opticoat afterwards would seem to defeat the self-healing properties that it has...

Any perspectives on this? And what's Xpel or another paint armor cost for the front (and probably side doors?)?

This might be good advice. However, I do have a question on removing the Opti-coat. From much of what I've read here - it seems like folks recommend putting the Opti-coat on before a paint armor and in particular with the Xpel. Opticoat afterwards would seem to defeat the self-healing properties that it has...

Any perspectives on this? And what's Xpel or another paint armor cost for the front (and probably side doors?)?

XPEL recommends NOT applying any coating prior to installation...it really serves no function IMHO...

From XPEL's Site:

XPEL Technologies Corp.: Frequently Asked Questions

"Can/should Opticoat or cQuartz be applied to the car before the film is installed?"
We do NOT recommend applying sealants such as Opticoat or cQuartz to the parts of the car that will be covered with film. The low surface energy of paint sealant products such as these will cause adhesion problems both during installation and over the life of the product. In addition, it is worth noting that there is really no benefit to applying sealant to the paint before the film anyway, since the film will provide far more environmental protection to the paint than a sealant ever could.

I'll PM you regarding installation

Have you done anything yet?

I'm somewhat in the same boat, and not sure what to do. I bought a demo (with 3K miles) a few weeks ago, and discovered two chips on the hood during a walk through when I picked it up. The SC offered to order the touch up paint and make the repair, but I'm not sure I should trust them vs. going to an experienced detailer. In the past I've pretty much ignored small paint chips on my cars, but I don't want to be as flippant with the MS. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have XPel Ultimate. A rock made a small hole. I applied the touch up paint myself. I do not see the touch up or hole again until I clay bar, then the touch up pops off and I retouch up. I now avoid the area.

I am cheap. BTW I used toothpicks to apply the touch up paint.