Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small paint chip repair recommendation needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got a small paint chip on the hatch of our Model Y. (We opened it in a garage with a low roof). Caught it in time before major damage, but I'm attaching two pics of a small paint chip that occurred.

I contacted an authorized Tesla body shop where we had some work done previously for a quote. They said that even though it's a small chip, they would have to paint a large area and quoted roughly $800. They recommended purchasing touchup paint from Tesla and doing the touchup ourselves. Is it possible to get touch up paint from Tesla and what would your recommendation be to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Attachments

• image (2).png
    image (2).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
  • image (1) (2).png
    image (1) (2).png
    781.2 KB · Views: 79
I have done chip touchup on most of my vehicles. That is a good size chip and you will likely not get it 100% without a respray. However, if you can get the touchup paint and watch a few U-toob vids, you will likely get it to the point where you won't notice it unless you know it is there. You won't make it worse. Bottom line is, you really don't have anything to lose except the price of the touch up paint and a little bit of your time.

I have done chip touchup on most of my vehicles. That is a good size chip and you will likely not get it 100% without a respray. However, if you can get the touchup paint and watch a few U-toob vids, you will likely get it to the point where you won't notice it unless you know it is there. You won't make it worse. Bottom line is, you really don't have anything to lose except the price of the touch up paint and a little bit of your time.
Thanks for your reply. I will try doing the touchup. I'm not looking to do a flawless job, but my main goal is to make sure the area is free from the possibility of rust forming. I also am not eager to pay $800. If you were in my shoes, you would do the touchup yourself?

How can I go about getting touch up paint? Should I start by calling Tesla? Go to a Tesla dealer?

Thanks for your reply. I will try doing the touchup. I'm not looking to do a flawless job, but my main goal is to make sure the area is free from the possibility of rust forming. I also am not eager to pay $800. If you were in my shoes, you would do the touchup yourself?

How can I go about getting touch up paint? Should I start by calling Tesla? Go to a Tesla dealer?
Without question, I would do it myself. I haven't had the Tesla long enough to have looked for touch up paint yet. Not sure if it is available as readily as it is for other mfgs.

I just touched up three smaller chips on the nose of my Raptor last weekend and ordered a strike zone PPF kit for the front of it. Coincidentally, the PPF DIY kit for the MYP was delivered yesterday so I will be "attempting" to install it this weekend. Wish me luck. It will be my first PPF install on a complex curved surface.

Good luck with your touch up and let us know how it goes!

We got a small paint chip on the hatch of our Model Y. (We opened it in a garage with a low roof). Caught it in time before major damage, but I'm attaching two pics of a small paint chip that occurred.

I contacted an authorized Tesla body shop where we had some work done previously for a quote. They said that even though it's a small chip, they would have to paint a large area and quoted roughly $800. They recommended purchasing touchup paint from Tesla and doing the touchup ourselves. Is it possible to get touch up paint from Tesla and what would your recommendation be to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
This is posted like MAYBe 2/3x a week with garage doors on reddit & most either opt for the oem style spoiler to cover the damage.

The oem paint repair kits are generally junk, i've used dr colorchip in the past & its great.
its just a time & cost that most dont want to invest so thats why they opt for the 100-300 dollar wing & call it a day PLUS you have a buffer for the next time it smacks into it

either way good luck!

Reactions: Ed243
This is posted like MAYBe 2/3x a week with garage doors on reddit & most either opt for the oem style spoiler to cover the damage.

The oem paint repair kits are generally junk, i've used dr colorchip in the past & its great.
its just a time & cost that most dont want to invest so thats why they opt for the 100-300 dollar wing & call it a day PLUS you have a buffer for the next time it smacks into it

either way good luck!

I hadn't thought about the wing, but that is a good option too! Functional and stylish! ;)

Reactions: TypeX

either way good luck!
What is a wing?

Wing or Spoiler. The Model Y Performance comes with a small carbon fiber spoiler on that edge of the hatch/trunk that would cover up that ding/chip. There are quite a few aftermarket companies that mfg similar (and bigger) spoiler/wings that you can install yourself with double sticky body molding tape. So, if you attempt to touch up that chip and aren't happy with it, you can install a wing/spoiler and cover it up.
FlashFirstDay_sm.jpg
FlashFirstDay (2).jpg

either way good luck!
Isnt' it always best to get OEM? Especially for paint? Does Dr. Colorchip match as well? What would make it better than the Tesla repair kit?