Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranded. Feeling like George Clooney.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

walla2

Jul 15, 2012
Not happy. My car was cruising along today fine. Then suddenly I got a ton of warnings saying the car was shutting down. Got close to my house but now it is "unable to drive." Also getting 12 V warning. Needs service. The battery port is red and won't allow plugging in. I just had my 12 V replaced roughly 3 weeks ago and a full service. Tesla service can't tell what's wrong so they are coming 250 miles to get the car tomorrow morning. Likely gone at least a week given the range. They were going to bring a loaner but don't have any to loan. Service was thorough and thoughtful, but my car is sitting lonely about a 1/4 mile from my house until 11 am. Ugh.

Gonna have to drive the Roadster a while I guess. First world problems.

Yeah, just feeling like him. Not looking like him . . .

155419672W.jpeg

Last edited:
I must have missed this despite being on the forums quite frequently but this is not the first time I have heard about this ... what exactly are "a" and "b" batteries? Was there a major design change lately?

At some point early, relatively early in production Tesla improved the battery design in a way that allowed for faster Supercharging. This is reflected in a label on the battery that includes the letter A (old), or B (new). Earliest adopters have A batteries and can only charge at 90kW (funny how expectationscharge).

It was "nice" to get stranded 1/4 mile from the house, but I did have a 5 yo and groceries, and it was raining some.

I've been researching. I wonder if it's actually a drive train problem. That seems to fit my error sequence the best from these forums. Main battery replacement of the main has been done for some with this same story but not all. 12 V failure while driving sounds odd. They are also borrowing the car and not just changing the 12 V and/or the dc/dc inverters which they could do via ranger.

Not happy. My car was cruising along today fine. Then suddenly I got a ton of warnings saying the car was shutting down. Got close to my house but now it is "unable to drive." Also getting 12 V warning. Needs service. The battery port is red and won't allow plugging in. I just had my 12 V replaced roughly 3 weeks ago and a full service. Tesla service can't tell what's wrong so they are coming 250 miles to get the car tomorrow morning. Likely gone at least a week given the range. They were going to bring a loaner but don't have any to loan. Service was thorough and thoughtful, but my car is sitting lonely about a 1/4 mile from my house until 11 am. Ugh.

Got the same issues last February after a couple of 12V replacements. I also have a Sig. The good news is that Tesla replaced the whole battery pack so I technically have a B (haven't checked it yet as my car is stored for winter).

Car has been reliable since that change.

sorry to hear about your issue, I know it's frustrating. our first S had a very similar issue, they said it was the inverter, which in turn blew a fuse in the traction battery. they told me it's Tesla's policy to swap out the battery and inverter in such cases and send it all back to the mother ship for forensics. I suspect you will get a new battery out of the deal, which should help overcome some of the frustration.