Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Problems...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For simplicity, I put this thread in the Canada section since pretty much the whole country, with the arguable exception of BC, sees REAL winter conditions. However, comments from the northern US and Norway are also welcome.

Model S was designed and built in California. So, unsurprisingly, there can be some disconnect when it's exposed to cold weather. This will be its second real winter. Any winter-related issues to report?

For example, I know there have been incidents of windows refusing to lower and snagging on the door chrome as well as charge ports freezing shut...

Note: Please exclude issues of range and/or winter tires from this thread as they are being discussed elsewhere.

Why your (ongoing) negativity?

Looking back, there has been a more negative bent to my posts the last little while. :redface: Sorry about that. I'm not looking for dirt or anything; just soliciting experience from actual owners. My big day is approaching ever closer, so I guess I'm developing a case of cold feet. Do I really want to spend $150K on a car, or should I spend it on something more appropriate: you know, like a house(!) or, heaven forbid, just SAVE it?! :wink:

My rampant Tesla enthusiasm has also been somewhat dampened of late (price increases, [unjustly]negative press, battery problems, tire problems, retrograde firmware, now charging problems, etc). I'm still 100% behind the company and its mission, and still a pretty big fanboy, just not as passionately as I was 6 months ago.

Looking back, there has been a more negative bent to my posts the last little while. :redface: Sorry about that. I'm not looking for dirt or anything; just soliciting experience from actual owners. My big day is approaching ever closer, so I guess I'm developing a case of cold feet. Do I really want to spend $150K on a car, or should I spend it on something more appropriate: you know, like a house(!) or, heaven forbid, just SAVE it?! :wink:

My rampant Tesla enthusiasm has also been somewhat dampened of late (price increases, [unjustly]negative press, battery problems, tire problems, retrograde firmware, now charging problems, etc). I'm still 100% behind the company and its mission, and still a pretty big fanboy, just not as passionately as I was 6 months ago.
Most of us, way back when, having made our deposit and waited for the car of our dreams, increased our passion during the wait ... there were no cold feet.
Not reading back over your posts, ... have you actually driven a Model S? Actually ordered one?
If so, stop worrying and please cease and desist your worrying until your car has arrived. For your own benefit. And blood pressure. :)
Then vent all you want.

Mayhemm, there may be an occasional nit here or there... but the car is AWESOME.

Oh, I know. But being ~2500km from the nearest service center means even a nit can be a real pain. I wonder if Rangers even come up here? :confused:

Most of us, way back when, having made our deposit and waited for the car of our dreams, increased our passion during the wait ... there were no cold feet.
Not reading back over your posts, ... have you actually driven a Model S? Actually ordered one?
If so, stop worrying and please cease and desist your worrying until your car has arrived. For your own benefit. And blood pressure. :)
Then vent all you want.

Driven twice. Loved it both times. Ordering in 38 days, 22 hours, 20 mins, 5 secs. (I have a timer on my smartphone) :biggrin:

I will try to be more positive, though. :smile:

At this point, I think all of the early issues with the Model S have been worked out, I brought mine in for it's first annual service, there where plenty of "TSB"s to apply/install (Technical Service Bulletins), but my car was built in December of 2012, delivered in January of 2013, it's been an entire year since then, so I'd be confident all of these early issues have been addressed now.

15k km, car has been reliable in the cold and have no concerns about it not working. Leave it out side at work everyday, -30 C or colder, unplugged (which is not the case for all of the ice cars) and no issues. The cold weather package added some of the key missing items, heated steering wheel still on my want list.

Fogging does happen pretty easily on the side windows but the upgraded vents work well with the defrost feature. Wish they had dedicated side window vents though as the defrost feature would not be needed most of the time.

Wash your car in the cold and don't dry and yes things freeze shut like the charge port as it relays on a simple spring to open it, no suprise though.

Preheat is great and car has no problems keeping the interior warm but range does suffer greatly in very cold weather, more than I expected. I now plan for no more than half of ideal range available on cold days when we are out and about for the day, (180km for our 60, even less as the battery ages). My only regret in our purchase, not getting the 85k.

Yeah, totally agreed. I would definitely recommend the 85 for places with real winters. It's not really a big issue for longer trips if you prewarm first; the cabin heat draw is modest when things are already warmed up. But a series of short trips with cold soak in between is fairly brutal on power draw. You end up constantly running full pack heat and full cabin heat, which amounts to 12 kW. An 85 kWh pack can easily cope with this. A 60 kW pack would be more limiting.

Approaching 11,000 miles in seven months, first winter, and had about 7 to 10 days with temps as low as 10, and highs during the day of 25 F or so. It was dry weather then, but the car ran flawlessly. Just some regen limits until the car warmed up, but that is absolutely normal.

Drive it 60+ miles everyday on my commute.

I have had mine for about two weeks now.

The only issues I am having are somewhat annoying.

Both side mirrors don't open consistently, and sometimes when they do open they don't open all the way. Also a minor irritating tick from above the review mirror area.

The car preforms excellent in the snow and I have the 21" summer tires still on it (winter tires should arrive next week).

Love what I bought.

Mayhemm just restore your old scary avatar and problems will never think of knocking on your door.
--

What? This one?

Angry Smiley.gif

I love the car. But after the charging issues I've had, and the huge difference between summer and winter, I have to admit, this car (and any electric) is not for my grandmother for now.

Do you really see a difference between normal and Range driving mode on the heater consumption. I see the same energy burnt if ON (ECO) or OFF. I see the term ECO on my ventilation screen but today with 3-5C, I still see the car burning 4KW when I'm at light or stopped. Am I missing something?