Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Model X will only be offered as all-wheel-drive" - Elon Musk

"The Model X will only be offered as all-wheel-drive" - Elon Musk

My first post to the Model X forum!

Elon Musk just said this at the London store-opening event... like, about 5hrs ago.

Check this video at the 24:10 mark. (horrid bandwidth video, but you can hear what he says)

Tesla London Store Opening reception with Elon Musk - YouTube

Perhaps this is for the U.K. market only? The web site still says RWD will be available.
    Last edited by doug; 2013-10-24 at 10:08 PM. Reason: embedded video

I caught this too. Very interesting.

Here is a direct link to the question so people don't have to seek for it. Tesla London Store Opening reception with Elon Musk - YouTube

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    No RWD drive option in the US? Not like I was going to take that option but that should raise the base price of the car about 4 to 6K presumably. Seems odd to not offer RWD as I can't imagine that the motor wouldn't be powerful enough.
    The Chronicles of Belle - 60kWh TeslaTrip
    Discoduckys' posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within the TeslaMotorsClub forum. Content in posts may NOT be used, quoted or otherwise published outside this forum, without authors expressed written consent.

Wow. Once again, you heard it here (TMC) first folks! One less option to choose, AWD is the reason I'm waiting for the X. So at least it won't cost "extra", but it sure will cost "more" !
    ML

I'm thinking maybe the complexity of the AWD makes the 2 wheel & 4 wheel models so different that they have decided to just go w the more advanced option, at least to start. A lot of people in LA, Atlanta, etc. pay more for 4WD they don't "need"
    Last edited by MikeL; 2013-10-24 at 07:39 PM.
    X res #3,660

I don't like this at all. Lower range with same battery size (I'd assume) compared to a 2WD, and higher cost.

For those of us who live in sunny California and never encounter snow or any challenging driving conditions, I'm not sure why it's a good thing that we have to pay more in up-front cost and in energy usage.

I'm increasingly concerned that the Model X is going to be insanely expensive for what it is. Hope I'm wrong :/
    Model S - 60 kWh - White - Black Interior - Supercharging - 19" - Powered by 12.74 kW Solar
    Model X - Reserved

Blog Entries
    Some of us who live in sunny California encounter snow and other challenging driving conditions and were planning on AWD ... so this is a non-issue for me. But I'm sure it's an issue for others.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Clearly not the only reason but I believe Tesla has determined that without taking advantage of AWD they cannot get enough range out of the larger and heavier Model X. Elon is dead set on a minimum 200 mile range and I don't think the 60 with rear wheel drive can achieve that without leveraging different gear ratios (I know that is the wrong terminology but you get my point).

Re: more power draw from 2 motors
    There was a thread (which I will now go look for) in which it was argued that the X will use more power, but only because of its weight, NOT due to having to power another motor for the front wheels. Each motor works less, sharing the work, but the same amount of work, so no extra draw (or negligible extra).
    X res #3,660

Banned
    I think there is likely some savings by reducing versions.
    Having to build AWD and RWD versions of the Model X is likely more expensive for both. If they decide to make all of the Model X line as AWD, there might be more overall savings because there is less development work (one instead of two versions) and higher volumes for the AWD.

Their think is likely, if someone does not want AWD, then buy a Model S.

2013 P85+, X seq 2,318 andrewket's Avatar
    Items for Sale

"The Model X will only be offered as all-wheel-drive" - Elon Musk

Quote Originally Posted by wts13 View Post
    I don't like this at all. Lower range with same battery size (I'd assume) compared to a 2WD, and higher cost.

For those of us who live in sunny California and never encounter snow or any challenging driving conditions, I'm not sure why it's a good thing that we have to pay more in up-front cost and in energy usage.

I'm increasingly concerned that the Model X is going to be insanely expensive for what it is. Hope I'm wrong :/
    Actually an AWD model X may be more efficient. The two engines can be geared differently, and the car can shift which one is propelling the car. It doesn't always have to be about traction. Similarly, it may be more efficient on regen and less stressful on tires.
    Model S P85+, red/black, CF trim+spoiler, all options in 2013, 19" TST grey wheels, Reus audio.
    Model X sequence P2,318 (gave up S476)

Thread Information