Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you drive before getting the model S and why did you change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have searched the forum and couldn't find a decicated post about what you have driven before and why you choose the drive the model s.
I am awaiting delivery a P85 full options (black interiour/exterior, except for the winter package and rear faced seats), living in Holland and I am driving a Porsche Cayenne Turbo (1st gen). Why I choose to buy a model s? That is a nobrainer!

• We pay in Holland 1,85 euro for one liter of euro95, the cayenne drives 6km to a liter, so, driving a model s will save me a lot of money!
  • As a business owner you get a lot, really a lot of profit driving a electric vehicle in Holland. My model s costs around 120K including VAT. Obviously the VAT(21%) is returned, we get also some other tax investment rebates. Netto price will be around 30K!
  • Holland is, as I understand, a pioneer in Europe and therefore the government is investing heavily in CO2 neutral cars, like the EV's. Because of that we drive the car for 5 years without paying road tax, no private use tax (if you drive business car privately, you have to pay a percentage for that) and no BPM, which also a kind of extra tax (20% ?) when you buy a car.

So, some quick math, some negotiating on the finance and I ordered the car within a week! By the way, bizar, this is the first car I ever bought through the Internet :)

Let me know what you prevous car was and why you choose to buy a model s,

Grtz ingmar

My daily driver before was a Hyundai Genesis coupe. Still have, now for sale, lol. Reasons I bought the Model S:

1. I love cars
  2. I like to be different
  3. I love driving fast
  4. I like beautiful things
  5. I was excited about the opportunity to not only drive a beautiful, fast, unique car, but to be part of something bigger

The $7,500 tax credit and $3,000 reimbursement from my employer were just bonuses to me and did not factor into my decision.

I drove a Prius before. I purchased the Model S to get rid of the ICE and still have a car that was really a car (not a second car like the other EVs). Ten years ago the Prius was the best car you could purchase but compared to the Model S it's now just outdated tech and Toyota hasn't done anything to improve it. (Their last revision made it worse in my opinion.)

Haven't bought yet (waiting on test drive). Primarily a Porsche guy (3 911's of various flavors in past 4 years) and Audi (still have S5 I like).

Not buying Tesla to save a few dollars on gas, as once all's said and done that's not a big deal for me, but I am attracted to it by technology and something 'new'.

I'm a car flipping kind of guy, normally buy something new every year and have 2-3 cars to play with.

If I get Tesla S, will get rid of Porsche, and keep SUV and S5. May end up selling S5 if I find myself liking S too much :)

Drove Nissan Altima Hybrid, got tired of engine kicking in while standing still.
If I lived in Europe, I would be driving electric car long time ago (except where public transportation is available as cheaper and more convenient alternative).

Saab 9-5

Pretty obvious :crying:

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all, I have searched the forum and couldn't find a decicated post about what you have driven before and why you choose the drive the model s.
I am awaiting delivery a P85 full options (black interiour/exterior, except for the winter package and rear faced seats), living in Holland and I am driving a Porsche Cayenne Turbo (1st gen). Why I choose to buy a model s? That is a nobrainer!

• We pay in Holland 1,85 euro for one liter of euro95, the cayenne drives 6km to a liter, so, driving a model s will save me a lot of money!
  • As a business owner you get a lot, really a lot of profit driving a electric vehicle in Holland. My model s costs around 120K including VAT. Obviously the VAT(21%) is returned, we get also some other tax investment rebates. Netto price will be around 30K!
  • Holland is, as I understand, a pioneer in Europe and therefore the government is investing heavily in CO2 neutral cars, like the EV's. Because of that we drive the car for 5 years without paying road tax, no private use tax (if you drive business car privately, you have to pay a percentage for that) and no BPM, which also a kind of extra tax (20% ?) when you buy a car.

So, some quick math, some negotiating on the finance and I ordered the car within a week! By the way, bizar, this is the first car I ever bought through the Internet :)

Let me know what you prevous car was and why you choose to buy a model s,

Grtz ingmar

@ ingmar (Ivleth) : check this one out : http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forumdisplay.php/118-Belgium-and-the-Netherlands

Early adopter of Chevy Volt, number 1498. Had a first production 2011LEAF reserved but orphaned it when the production model clearly did not have the promised 100 mile range. The thing Tesla alone understands is that I will definitely pay for range. The experience with the low sales of the 40 kWh battery should be instructive.

535i for me and 535xi wagon for my wife..... Bought MS because it is a better car and MUCH more fun to drive. Oh, the Maranello is for sale as well as it does not seem to get much love these days so let me know if you run across anyone interested in one :)

oh, and I think it is electric but that really did not play into the decision to replace the BMWs.

2013 BMW M5

Love the looks, power and new technology of the Tesla. I feel like I'm in on the front end of something big - wide spread adoption of electric drive vehicles. The fact that it is electric would not have been near enough to get me to trade my M5 for the Model S - it's the fact that it's a great car that got me to switch.

Mike

2001 Jeep Cherokee, 3" lift, ARB air lockers, and Warn winch.

I kept the Jeep for the really fun, snowy days around here in Pagosa Springs, CO, real Jeep Trails, winching people out of the ditch, and pulling a trailer. The MS now gets 90% of the miles.

Here is a picture of the Jeep on one of those fun winter days at my house when the MS stays in the garage. On the really, really, fun winter days, I put the chains on the Jeep to get up the driveway; real, steel-link, chains don't fit on the MS. :biggrin:

Jeep in Snow-sm.jpg

Last edited:

I have a Chevy Volt, previously drove a Jaguar. Prior to going for the Model S I was seriously considering the Maserati Quattroporte, which is a car I believe Tesla directly competes with but isn't often compared to.

2014-maserati-quattroporte-600-001.jpg

As you can see, some of the styling cues are similar so where I was at was in a position to purchase a $100,000.00 + sedan (Maserati is $160,000) so the Tesla really was a no-brainer. One of the easiest decisions I've made. Power, more room, technologically light years ahead of Maserati (they spend all their money on the Ferrari based engine and really lack the creature comforts in the cabin) , lower cost of ownership and of course, no gas. The Maserati was going to be my occasional "special" car... The Tesla will be my daily driver.

Like I said, the decision made itself.

My daily driver before was a Hyundai Genesis coupe. Still have, now for sale, lol. Reasons I bought the Model S:

1. I love cars
  2. I like to be different
  3. I love driving fast
  4. I like beautiful things
  5. I was excited about the opportunity to not only drive a beautiful, fast, unique car, but to be part of something bigger

The $7,500 tax credit and $3,000 reimbursement from my employer were just bonuses to me and did not factor into my decision.

previously had a Range Rover Evoque. They have a major safety defect where it randomly disables the gas pedal while you were driving. would never drive my family anywhere in it as I didn't want them getting killed if I was turning left at a light and that happened. That was the major reason for getting rid of that.

Outside of that, the others were the same as quoted post. But above all major reasons included not having to pay for gas and oil changes anymore.

$7500 tax credit and saving over $7k for not having to pay sales and luxury tax in NJ were definitely a factor in the purchase. I would not have bought the MS without those (would have been out of my price range).

previously had a Range Rover Evoque. They have a major safety defect where it randomly disables the gas pedal while you were driving. would never drive my family anywhere in it as I didn't want them getting killed if I was turning left at a light and that happened. That was the major reason for getting rid of that.

Outside of that, the others were the same as quoted post. But above all major reasons included not having to pay for gas and oil changes anymore.

$7500 tax credit and saving over $7k for not having to pay sales and luxury tax in NJ were definitely a factor in the purchase. I would not have bought the MS without those (would have been out of my price range).

Completely understand on Range Rover--worst SUV's I've ever owned. The worst. I know Tesla has issues, but Range Rover lived at service center--what a complete joke.

I wish Texas would waive 'sales tax' that would make the choice a lot easier :smile:

honda civic hybrid. 160K miles. Great car, keeping cuz it still runs well. Switched after borrowing my friend's Tesla Roadster for a week. I am not a car guy, but that thing just took my breath away. I put down deposit about 3 years ago on MS, never looked back.

2011 Audi TT S-line. Not really anything wrong with it other than Audi treats the TT like a bastard step-child when it comes to features and options (no push-button start, still DVD-based NAV, no modern driver assistance tech available). Oh, and it burns gas. (service stations have really started to annoy me lately)

The Model S is the first EV that has had the range, performance, technology, and styling to make it a desirable alternative to gas. (Before August 1st, I would have also listed value-for-money here)

I've wanted a Tesla since the days of the Roadster, but could not justify spending $140K CAD on a two-seat sports car while I was still a student. :tongue:

As it stands, the Model S is a tough sell to family and friends. There are no tax credits or incentives in my part of Canada. My mom thinks I should just buy a house instead. My friends think winter will kill it. :rolleyes:

However, that will all change when they see/ride in it!