Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugless Power Has Launched Their Wireless Charging System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at least $3,000... wireless results in a huge loss of charging efficiency...

Personally, I'd rather keep taking the 10 seconds a day to plug in

Yeah, I remember before I got the car I was thinking of some jig that I was going to build to automatically plug in the car when I got home. And funny, a few months later I saw somebody else on here also having a similar design - also before he got the car.

Until I actually got the car...

My charge cable end is literally 2 feet away from the charge port. The whole plug/unplug process takes less than 5 seconds a day for me and can be done one-handed. The time saved by the keyless entry & start is more than that.

I would spend money getting the outlet and cable placed conveniently (e.g. if it was on the wrong side of the car and you have to run it across every night), but wireless charging is definitely not something I would spend even $100 extra for.

Not to mention that this is a 3.3kW charging solution. One third of a normal 40A 240V Tesla charging setup. After bolting on some tacky external wireless charging system to your car, only people with short commutes could use it. I cannot see how this company survives.

Keep in mind that this is the first generation for wireless charging, and I think the technology will only improve and along with that, lower costs will come. It could be a very good option for people who are looking to get a new Level 2 charging system for their car, and also for those who don't like the idea of having to plug in every day. This will only make EVs more appealing, and Plugless Power is the first in the world to offer such a system to consumers.

It also might have some appeal to those who don't have a garage and need to charge outdoors (Plugless Power does have an outdoor configuration), and the car component adds minimal weight from what I saw on their site -- about 10 pounds.

It could have commercial viability. It would be more immune from vandalism. You could have an entire row that offers EV charging. Just park your car. But the premium would have to be no more than 25-35%, I think.

Personally, I'd rather keep taking the 10 seconds a day to plug in

10 SECONDS :scared:?! You must be the slowest plugger inner on the planet! :) 3 seconds and the job's done ;).

I agree this is likely not going to be profitable for home charging...plugging in is just too easy. It's less efficient, expensive, and has low charge rate.

However, having said that, I do think this is the charging method of the (not too near) future.

Yeah, I've timed myself at 3 seconds for the Model S. Much faster than Roadster.

I don't agree that this is the standard charging method of the future. It is inherently less efficient than plugging; some amount of power will be lost in the transfer. It would be useful however in certain situations.

The future of this would be level III + charging. Any charging away from home is open to vandalism. Even at home it can happen, although less likely. This would be excellent for apartment dwellers not having access to a plug or concerned with curbside charging - and having a cable hanging from their vehicle for hours. Charging plates however would have to be flush with the street.

You could make a robotic arm that would plug in the cable for you for much less... Also it won't inductively bake your cat when it crawls on it.

I think there's minimal to no risk here. An animal's exposure to the inductive Plugless Power system would be similar to it being in an MRI scanner. In fact, Plugless Power might be safer because by using the system, you have eliminated the tripping hazard associated with the charging cable.

I think there's minimal to no risk here. An animal's exposure to the inductive Plugless Power system would be similar to it being in an MRI scanner. In fact, Plugless Power might be safer because by using the system, you have eliminated the tripping hazard associated with the charging cable.

Because an MRI scanner is trying to induce 3kW into your body and nothing happens?

NO of course that is insane and not how it works AT ALL.

This is what happens when you have 3kW going in, and no current going out leaving the energy as heat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Zrnv4OtbU

Last edited by a moderator:
Because an MRI scanner is trying to induce 3kW into your body and nothing happens?

This is what happens when you have 3kW going in, and no current going out leaving the energy as heat

That ignores the differences in basic physics. You have energy flowing through your body all the time - ranging from radio waves to neutrinos - most of which doesn't interact with your body in any way. It therefore has no impact on you.

You have to absorb the energy for it to affect you. Microwaves are potentially dangerous because they resonate with water molecules - that's how a microwave oven works. Waves from the AC power lines in your house pass through you harmlessly. Radio signals have no impact unless you are subjected to incredibly strong fields. Alpha radiation is no threat (unless the source is ingested) because it doesn't penetrate your skin; Gamma radiation can fry you because it is so energetic.

These inductive power transfer devices use magnetic fields (not EM waves) at pretty low frequencies. There really isn't a risk from exposure to stray fields from them at the power levels involved.

That ignores the differences in basic physics. You have energy flowing through your body all the time - ranging from radio waves to neutrinos - most of which doesn't interact with your body in any way. It therefore has no impact on you.

You have to absorb the energy for it to affect you. Microwaves are potentially dangerous because they resonate with water molecules - that's how a microwave oven works. Waves from the AC power lines in your house pass through you harmlessly. Radio signals have no impact unless you are subjected to incredibly strong fields. Alpha radiation is no threat (unless the source is ingested) because it doesn't penetrate your skin; Gamma radiation can fry you because it is so energetic.

woowoo alert below. Not EM waves? There's a reason it's called electromagnetism.

These inductive power transfer devices use magnetic fields (not EM waves) at pretty low frequencies. There really isn't a risk from exposure to stray fields from them at the power levels involved.

MRI's work because the stuff you are made of does indeed interact with magnetic fields. It's just a question of how much power you need for the effect to become significant in living tissue.
Charging you iphone is one thing, but charging your Tesla at 20kW+? Somebody can probably do this calculation pretty easily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohydrodynamic_drive You are made out of mostly water like the rest of us right?

Why would something in the cat resonate at the exact frequency of the inductive charger system?