Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driving thru deep water puddle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all have experienced in occasions where intense, heavy downfalls of rain in short periods causes deep puddles of water and makes you feel a little safer driving over with SUV's or trucks. What about the S with low ground clearance and the battery tray below, anything to be concerned about driving slow over these deep water puddles?

if you want to go swimming, go buy a range rover. Model S rims can't even handle a pothole, let alone the battery pack being submerged under water.
Well, I don't know what rims have to do with the battery pack and water, but I was under the impression that the battery was a sealed unit. Not so? I sure would hope so, and if it has active temperature control. it almost has to be sealed.

Well, I don't know what rims have to do with the battery pack and water, but I was under the impression that the battery was a sealed unit. Not so? I sure would hope so, and if it has active temperature control. it almost has to be sealed.

The heat exchanger intake is down low on the Model S. Go through deep water and the wake ahead of the car will rise up and suck into the heat exchanger intakes. It's not necessarily an issue of water around the pack, but of water flowing into the heat exchanger intakes.

I believe there's an immersion sensor near this intake that will cut power (as a precautionary measure) if water is detected spilling into the heat exchanger intake. Might just be a momentary cut, but as others have said, don't take your S for a swim.

I survived in a low Saturn SL1 for 11 years without going through any deep water. We all can.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, about 1.5 years ago my wife unintentionally drove her work car into deep standing water at night after a flash flood. Didn't see it coming, was going 50 mph, and was going too fast to avoid. The hydroplaning took her off the road and into a deep ditch, which of course was filled with water. Water rose up to the level of the steering wheel as a result. Obviously, the car was junked for insurance purposes.

Point is, if you can avoid deep water, do. If not, you'll either have a momentary power reduction (as someone else once experienced) or if more serious...well...that's what insurance is for.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
The heat exchanger intake is down low on the Model S. Go through deep water and the wake ahead of the car will rise up and suck into the heat exchanger intakes. It's not necessarily an issue of water around the pack, but of water flowing into the heat exchanger intakes.

I believe there's an immersion sensor near this intake that will cut power (as a precautionary measure) if water is detected spilling into the heat exchanger intake. Might just be a momentary cut, but as others have said, don't take your S for a swim.

I survived in a low Saturn SL1 for 11 years without going through any deep water. We all can.
OK, thank you for that. It was sounding like the battery was the problem, which I couldn't quite buy.

Does anyone else reading this thread think of Oregon Trail? If I try to ford the river, I will die of dysentery.

Seriously, in any car, you should never try to cross standing, let alone running, water, unless you know exactly how deep it is. Or your car will have flood damage. And that's no fun.

Stupid Q: Just go slowly and put the suspension on super-ultra-high (for those of us with air suspension, which right now is everyone, methinks)???

didn't think it was a "Stupid Q", just wanted to know how water-resistant the battery tray was if you happen to encounter unexpected puddle and unable to turn around :frown: If am not planning on just driving through any puddles like a maniac. If you raise the air suspension, doesn't that still keep the battery tray level the same and only raises the body higher ?

didn't think it was a "Stupid Q", just wanted to know how water-resistant the battery tray was if you happen to encounter unexpected puddle and unable to turn around :frown: If am not planning on just driving through any puddles like a maniac. If you raise the air suspension, doesn't that still keep the battery tray level the same and only raises the body higher ?

I was asking if my question was stupid (hence the colon instead of period or exclamation point, and the question marks at the end of my question). ;-) I was not saying that your question was stupid.

I thought the suspension raised everything except the tires; isn't the battery part of the body? If it doesn't raise that, then it's not nearly as useful as I thought (I thought it'd be good if I found a monster speed bump, but I'd scrape the middle part of the car if it doesn't raise everything). Hmm. Anyone else know just how it works--I haven't used it much.

Last edited:
Had a friend who drove his BMW X3 into a puddle caused by a flash storm. Water was sucked into the air intake for the motor, ingested into the motor, and the motor was toast as water will not compress in the motor. All sorts of bad things happened, and this was on a normal street.

So...it is not good to go swimming in any car:cursing: