Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit damaged after driving in heavy rain -- SC won't cover under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had comprehensive and coverage was declined.
Would love to see that denial letter. Mechanical failure is not covered, but damage from weather events would absolutely be covered. This is no different from hydro-locking your ICE vehicle by crossing a flooded intersection. Typically these denials are a quick reaction by individuals with little to no knowledge of BEV's.

They claimed the damage was due to wear and tear and thus not coverable.
Ouch. That is plain wrong. True the seal is not covered due to it being worn but the resulting damage is covered under the policy. Same thing if your window regulator broke and the window was stuck down due to a rain storm. The resulting damage is covered but the regulator is on you. I had a 1986 Mercedes with 300K miles on it and when the heater core failed, Progressive paid for full dash removal to clean up the coolant. I paid $86 for a new heater core that was easy to install after they paid to remove the dash.

Reactions: CCopperpot
Ouch. That is plain wrong. True the seal is not covered due to it being worn but the resulting damage is covered under the policy. Same thing if your window regulator broke and the window was stuck down due to a rain storm. The resulting damage is covered but the regulator is on you. I had a 1986 Mercedes with 300K miles on it and when the heater core failed, Progressive paid for full dash removal to clean up the coolant. I paid $86 for a new heater core that was easy to install after they paid to remove the dash.
I will take this up with my state's insurance regulator. Thank you for the advice.