Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone: person I call cannot hear me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having problems with my phone. Connectivity is not a problem, when I make a call the person cannot hear me but I hear them just fine. I took it to Menlo Park service, thought they fixed it but it only worked for one call. I waited for 4.2 but that did not help. Any help would be appreciated. I am using iPhone 3GS.

If you have the 4.1 software or later, try using the voice commands for Slacker or navigation. I suspect the same microphone is used for these and the hands free phone mode. If the voice commands don't work then there might be a problem with the microphone or its wiring. This could help Tesla service pinpoint the problem. If the voice commands work, then maybe the Bluetooth module had a bad audio circuit or there is a separate microphone and circuit for voice commands.

I've only had the same problem once. On another thread I read that pressing the left thumbwheel will mute (or unmute) an active phone call. I've only ever used it to mute music playback, so I wonder if I didn't press it out of habit when receiving a call and accidentally mute the call? I'll have to try it deliberately now and see how that state is displayed so I know what to look for.

This is most likely an issue with your phone, and not the car. My wife's iPhone began exhibiting the same behavior, regardless of whether she was bluetoothing in her car or mine. Happily, it was under warranty, and Verizon promptly sent us a replacement.

And sometimes it's the cellular connection itself. Two channels are required (so we can talk and hear at the same time) and sometimes one channel doesn't connect.

With old LS 460, there was a hidden diagnostics screen that I used to adjust the microphone volume settings. Doing that improved the quality of my voice on the calls.

Tesla could add this as an option for the phone settings screen for each phone - like the microphone settings in Windows, where you could do a test - get a volume level bar to see what the car is hearing - and then adjust the volume accordingly.

I had several cell phones while I had my LS - and had to adjust the settings for each one to improve voice quality.

1. Where is the Tesla Model S microphone located? My Tesla is only a day old, everything Ok except the recipient of my call couldn't hear me. I use iPhone 4
2. Another unrelated question-When you are in a location, can you mark that place as a visited place? ((my house is not located in GPS as I am in a new subdivision; when I arrive at my location, can I mark that place?)
3. In GPS, the voice said that I am 0.2 miles from the turn; the turn came instantly!
Thanks

The microphone is likely located in the ceiling, in the center front above the rear view mirror.

I've found the microphone has problems both for phone and voice command. I've done recordings of my phone when using my Model S and in another car (using that car's microphone) - and the Model S audio quality for the microphone is noticeably inferior - much more of a "mechanical" sound, with enough distortion to be harder to hear - especially for some people. The voice command also seems to have problem periodically recognizing commands - which probably goes back to the microphone and or how the voice input is being sampled by the software.

I always get complaints that the audio is horrible when I make calls. To the point where I'm asked to call back after I get out of the car. At least it "works", I guess?
I've had people complain too. In the past but now not so much... I think one commonality that could come into play is the pano roof noise.. One thing I recommend doing to really figure it out is dial 914-338-8802 and the select option 4. This will allow you to easily test yourself talking at various speeds and with pano/windows cracked, etc.. Much easier than a ton of voicemails

Telecom Toolkit