Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger to J1772 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know there is an adapter that allows the Model S to use a public J1772 charger. What about the other way around?

I own an I-MiEV. My Father-in-Law is about to take delivery of a Model S (so cool!). His house is a little outside of my round trip range, so I have to charge at his place every time I visit via my pathetic Level 1 charger.

So the question is: If he gets a Tesla Brand Wall Mounted charger for his Model S, can I use it via an adapter when I come to visit? Or am I just out of luck?

So I know there is an adapter that allows the Model S to use a public J1772 charger. What about the other way around?

I own an I-MiEV. My Father-in-Law is about to take delivery of a Model S (so cool!). His house is a little outside of my round trip range, so I have to charge at his place every time I visit via my pathetic Level 1 charger.

So the question is: If he gets a Tesla Brand Wall Mounted charger for his Model S, can I use it via an adapter when I come to visit? Or am I just out of luck?
I suspect that is not going to happen, as Tesla seems to not like others using their charging set-ups.

A suggested solution. If your in-law has 240 volts in his garage - either a 14-50R or other - consider having your Mitsubishi EVSE upgraded to 240 volts by http://evseupgrade.com. Then with a very moderately priced adapter, you can charge at L2 at many places including the in-law's. http://evseadapters.com/

Thanks for the response. I was afraid of this. I've already investigated evseupgrage and it's very attractive, I might do that regardless.

So, one quick follow up. My Father-in-law is open to the idea of installing a standard J1772 wall charger, provided he can get one that will deliver 40amps, and maybe a second Model S Tesla adapter for it. Does anyone have one they could recommend? What about the cost of a second J1772 adapter? I know the one for the Roadster is some insane $750.00 price tag. I'm praying the Model S version is a bit more reasonable.

Any help would great. Thanks!

I find that I really like the button on the Tesla charge cord that opens the charge port on the Model S for you. If you are using the J1772 adapter, I believe you will have to open the port from inside the S. Not a big deal, but it becomes a little more of a hassle to use J1772 with the adapter than using the Tesla S cord set.

That said, I have found that Clipper Creek makes a very robust EVSE and you can get a CS100 that is capable of 20kw charging. I use a detuned one for my Roadster. I hardly ever use the full power of the unit, but it has been there on the few times I have needed it.

Thanks again for the response. I'll look into the Clipper Creek CS100 right away.

That said, does anyone know if the Model S adapter can left attached to the J1772 end most of the time? Or must you first hook it to the car before you connect the J-charger?

I really don't want my Father-in-Law having to mess with an adapter each time he goes to connect.. IN HIS OWN GARAGE. He's a nice guy, he might be ok with it, but i wouldn't be comfortable with him having to always do extra steps, just to accommodate me.

Thanks again for the response. I'll look into the Clipper Creek CS100 right away.

That said, does anyone know if the Model S adapter can left attached to the J1772 end most of the time? Or must you first hook it to the car before you connect the J-charger?

I really don't want my Father-in-Law having to mess with an adapter each time he goes to connect.. IN HIS OWN GARAGE. He's a nice guy, he might be ok with it, but i wouldn't be comfortable with him having to always do extra steps, just to accommodate me.

Yes. You can leave the adapter on.

He'll certainly be installing the NEMA 14-50 outlet. At this moment, he's debating if he'll actually need a wall mounted unit or not. He suspects that using the "mobile" EVSE the car ships with will be sufficient, but thinks it might become a hassle, so a dedicated wall unit plugged into the NEMA 14-50 would be ideal.

Truth is.. if he can get a wall unit that works for both of us, that would be awesome. I'll confess, I'm being cheap (I told you I drive an I-MiEV! lol ) and hoping to save myself from paying the $330 for the EVSE upgrade. Especially when the one place I go that's a bit out of my range is my in-laws.... and they will be owners of a Level 2 charging unit! It's just a bit of a hard pill to swallow. "Oh look! Here's a level 2 charger! And it's at the one place I actually really need it... Wait!? I can't use it because it's Tesla only! :crying: " (sobbing)

This is the whole reason for this post, and the hope for a Tesla to J1772 adapter. Any Model S owners out there who also own a Leaf? How did you solve this?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. You can leave the adapter on.

Thank you patp! That's fantastic news! Any idea of cost? Hopefully it's less than $100 bucks.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
He'll certainly be installing the NEMA 14-50 outlet. At this moment, he's debating if he'll actually need a wall mounted unit or not. He suspects that using the "mobile" EVSE the car ships with will be sufficient, but thinks it might become a hassle, so a dedicated wall unit plugged into the NEMA 14-50 would be ideal.

Purchase an additional UMC ($500) and leave one always plugged in. That eliminates the hassle.

Truth is.. if he can get a wall unit that works for both of us, that would be awesome. I'll confess, I'm being cheap (I told you I drive an I-MiEV! lol ) and hoping to save myself from paying the $330 for the EVSE upgrade. Especially when the one place I go that's a bit out of my range is my in-laws.... and they will be owners of a Level 2 charging unit! It's just a bit of a hard pill to swallow. "Oh look! Here's a level 2 charger! And it's at the one place I actually really need it... Wait!? I can't use it because it's Tesla only! :crying: " (sobbing)

This is the whole reason for this post, and the hope for a Tesla to J1772 adapter. Any Model S owners out there who also own a Leaf? How did you solve this?

Can you ask him why he thinks the UMC (included charge cable that connects to the 14-50) will be a hassle? I've used one for over two years now and if you but the right cable holder (something from Home Depot maybe) it isn't a problem at all. If he needs the extra charging capability the wall mounted charger has or just wants it because it looks nicer or has a longer cord then he should go for it. Most people seem to find that 40A and the included cable are more than adequate.

You're looking for something that works with both cars though. I think your father in law would like having the Tesla cable for his daily use better than having to use the adapter.

Thank you patp! That's fantastic news! Any idea of cost? Hopefully it's less than $100 bucks.

The car already comes with one adapter. But I'm sure you would be able to buy another one. I think I heard someone who lost one and it was $200 but not confirmed.

Here's some pics. This is my Volt charger without and with the adapter (that can stay on it)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358210668.713985.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358210693.502740.jpg

Last edited:
I was quoted $95 for a spare J-1772 adapter. However, they are in very short supply currently, so you might be waiting a few months for a 2nd one.
Sorry to wander OT, but that is bad news - the short supply part. I gathered that from other threads reporting the adapter being on a due bill.

Due to my rental situation and poor charging options, I am counting on using my LEAF J1772 for the model S which is due late Jan, early Feb. I have informed Tesla that an adapter is an absolute requirement, but no response as yet.

Any Model S owners out there who also own a Leaf? How did you solve this?

I use my one year old AV EVSE (same one Nissan sells, but I bought it directly from AV last winter shortly after buying the Leaf). I attached a $15 replacement dryer cord to the EVSE and plugged it into my existing outlet (so the EVSE is portable if needed), and the outlet can be used for other activities by simply unplugging the EVSE. Charges at 30 amps max on the S (the Leaf only draws 16 amps due to it's smaller charger.) These rates of charge work fine for me, and now I have a system which is compatible with the majority of EV's being released into the US market.

When I pull into the garage, I toggle over to the battery screen and open the charge port before getting out of the car. I leave the adapter in the cup holder and take it out and plug it in, even if my J1772 is still charging the Leaf. Later, I can plug in the J1772 whenever I want, with no need to have the fob in my pocket, and no need to get back into the car etc.

When I pull into the garage, I toggle over to the battery screen and open the charge port before getting out of the car. I leave the adapter in the cup holder and take it out and plug it in, even if my J1772 is still charging the Leaf. Later, I can plug in the J1772 whenever I want, with no need to have the fob in my pocket, and no need to get back into the car etc.
I like it - sounds like a plan. Thanks.

My wife has announced that when the model S arrives and we sell her Buick, she is going to claim the LEAF (she usually claims the better car) and I'll be left with the model S. Since her solo trips are rather infrequent, looks like things will work out well. Providing we get the J1772 adapter.

Charges at 30 amps max on the S (the Leaf only draws 16 amps due to it's smaller charger.) These rates of charge work fine for me, and now I have a system which is compatible with the majority of EV's being released into the US market.

Be aware that you are not permitted to run a continuous load at 30A over a NEMA 10-30 or 14-30 receptacle & plug unless they are specifically rated for continuous load at 30A (and that's highly unlikely if you used a replacement dryer cord). The maximum continuous load you are permitted to run over a typical 30A dryer cord and/or receptacle is 24A. Average plugs and receptacles can easily burn with sustained high amperage loads.

Be aware that you are not permitted to run a continuous load at 30A over a NEMA 10-30 or 14-30 receptacle & plug unless they are specifically rated for continuous load at 30A (and that's highly unlikely if you used a replacement dryer cord). The maximum continuous load you are permitted to run over a typical 30A dryer cord and/or receptacle is 24A. Average plugs and receptacles can easily burn with sustained high amperage loads.

Yes, my setup isn't to Code since I'm actually using a NEMA 10-50 with a center ground (instead of the code specified neutral). I have my charge rate dialed back to 20 amps, but even at 30 the cord has never felt perceptably warm.

AV now sells a version of their unit with an attached cord and plug (I assume properly rated) which is the way to go now: http://www.amazon.com/AeroVironment...r-EVSE-RS/dp/B00AHG8XVA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

Also folks who do their own wiring need to make sure that terminals in these high amperage plugs and receptacles are torqued to the proper spec's so they don't heat up. We've seen what may happen with loose or poor connections... http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ming-utility-cable-capacity-A-cautionary-tale