Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bob Lutz on the Future

Blog Entries
    I was at the same event with Bonnie, heard that same things, and suffered the same massive disappointment. After "Revenge of the Electric Car", I was really excited to meet him and hear him speak. I was shocked and dismayed to hear what he actually said, and how aloof he was.
    "Constraints are gifts to creative people."

Roadster 2.0 #905 | Model S Signature Performance #2001

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Blog Entries
    Meeting you and Chad S made the event . Lutz ... not so much.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, eh!
    "Constraints are gifts to creative people."

Roadster 2.0 #905 | Model S Signature Performance #2001

Also, I believe, Lutz was the driving force behind GM's move to the slab-sided design, most notable in the Cadillacs. IMHO, the ugliest trend ever in car design.

Quote Originally Posted by napabill View Post
    Also, I believe, Lutz was the driving force behind GM's move to the slab-sided design, most notable in the Cadillacs. IMHO, the ugliest trend ever in car design.
    I disagree, I think some of the cadillacs are the best looking cars in their price range when you compare them to the competition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    He's got a point - the VIA Trucks are an excellent application for plug-in hybrid technology.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Reminds me of Wrightspeed...
    What Tech News and Analysis
    The race car market is only so big, however — although as Wright puts it, it’s got “great halo effects and good margins.” That’s why Wrightspeed also plans to use its hybrid drive-train system technology to eventually sell into the medium-duty truck market, and is starting out by selling a hybrid conversion kit to companies with truck fleets.
    As TruckingInfo put it, medium duty trucks — those commercial vehicles that haul anything from food to furniture — are “the workhorses of the American economy,” and use over 8 billion gallons of fuel per year. Reducing this fuel consumption by just a fraction is both a major market opportunity and can also make a significant dent in carbon emissions. Financier T. Boone Pickens is also eyeing this market by backing natural gas truck conversion kits...
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

Quote Originally Posted by bonnie1194 View Post
    I heard him speak about how global warming is not real, greatly upsetting an audience.
    As the featured speaker, I heard him talk about how the Volt was the right solution and all-electric was not.
    His views on global warming aren't new: GM.

I'm not surprised by how stance on the Volt. It's his baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by J in MN View Post
    There is a nice video of an interview with Bob and Elon by Charlie Rose (if my memory serves me right) where he has nothing but praise for the Model S and expresses his opinion that it will be a success. Elon responds with a surprised "really?".
    Charlie Rose - Robert A. Lutz & Elon Musk is the interview, if anyone wants to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    I'm not surprised about his approach. It roughly parallels what GM did: coming out w/very expensive guzzler two-mode hybrids (e.g. Tahoe Hybrid, Escalade Hybrid, etc.), not coming out w/anything in the league of the Prius for mileage and then having only weak engineering effort BAS mild-hybrids (e.g. Malibu Hybrid, Vue Hybrid, etc.) None of those sold well (December 2010 Dashboard: Year End Tally - HybridCars.com and December 2009 Dashboard: Year-End Tally - HybridCars.com, for example).

At least GM resurrected the BAS mild hybrids in a 2nd gen and doesn't put the hybrid name on them anymore. They instead call it eAssist (and call some of them Eco). At least those are doing better now but big two-modes still sell poorly: March 2013 Dashboard - HybridCars.com and the two partners of Global Hybrid Cooperation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (BMW, Chrysler, Daimler) don't bother making them anymore.

Thread Information