Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Report that Tesla not going to produce low cost “Model 2”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just elon trying to up the share price after the disappointing quarter.

The hardware for a self driving car is the easy bit.. I'm sure they'll have a concept car to show off. The software is hard, and they're nowhere near that.
EV makers have an uphill battle winning over a sizeable percentage of the market that doesn’t want an EV and will only have one when eventually forced.

The Model 3 with a Range Extender V8 with a supercharger out of the bonnet should get middle America onboard maybe 😉

The Model 2 originally made a lot of sense a few years ago but now that means competing with the cheap Chinese brands that get government subsidies and are dumping cars onto the market. Now it looks like that could be a crowded, very low to no margin market with a lot of risks.
You may be right but although that margins will almost certainly need to be lower, the market segment is huge. The risks may be significant but I think they would probably be reasonable ones to take.
That said, he did go for a very risky product with the Cybertruck, so it seems Tesla is not that risk averse.

I, for one, am still hoping for a Model 2 to arrive soon(ish).

You may be right but although that margins will almost certainly need to be lower, the market segment is huge. The risks may be significant but I think they would probably be reasonable ones to take.
That said, he did go for a very risky product with the Cybertruck, so it seems Tesla is not that risk averse.

I, for one, am still hoping for a Model 2 to arrive soon(ish).
The market size is huge but as you say margins are very low and with a reasonable risk they might end up negative in a price war. That or you end up with factories and lines making cars you cannot shift because it’s not cheap enough. That segment is mostly about price above all else.

They are already in a price war in China and not sure they are winning it. I do think this has made they double take and if they want to run the risk on this. If you are building more factories to hit Musk’s super high volumes, if they don’t pull that off it’s going to hugely damage Tesla and its financials.

The Cybertruck is already I believe not shifting in volume as they want as Americans who want trucks mostly want ICE where they can also do longer distances, tow and so on. Ford has pulled back hugely on the electric F-150.

I think there’s still also plenty of out of the way locations in a country of that size without good charging. It’s maybe like going to the Scottish highlands which isn’t impossible but the charging is pretty poor compared to the rest of the country.

Hard to know where they go. Model 3 and Y are still going well but they are just a 2 model company here in the UK which for a company of their size and value, is extremely rare. Most companies of their value would have 10 - 20 different cars. Not saying they go there but S and X need scrapping and ground up new architectures closer to 3 and Y, just longer wheel base.

Reactions: Rustybkts
The Cybertruck is already I believe not shifting in volume as they want
This is hardly a surprise. I always thought it was a Musk statement rather than a well thought-out product but it's still early days so who know what will happen? There certainly seem to be a very vocal bunch who think it's the best thing since sliced bread... 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you are building more factories to hit Musk’s super high volumes, if they don’t pull that off it’s going to hugely damage Tesla and its financials.

Indeed, although Tesla is in an enviable financial position with a huge market cap (whether it's justified is another matter) and no debt so they have a good launchpad to venture into this segment and not sink if it goes wrong.

This is hardly a surprise. I always thought it was a Musk statement rather than a well thought-out product but it's still early days so who know what will happen? There certainly seem to be a very vocal bunch who think it's the best thing since sliced bread... 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think a lot like the design. The segment is big but the F-150 starts at $36k and the Cybertruck is $60k. The F-150 might not be as flash but it’ll go further, especially when towing.

There’s a market for the Cybertruck, I just don’t think it’s all that big. It’s maybe like the Semi, has a market for short haul type trips but it’s expensive and less useful than a diesel truck. If you take the environment out of it which for most, won’t factor into their buying decisions much or at all.
Indeed, although Tesla is in an enviable financial position with a huge market cap (whether it's justified is another matter) and no debt so they have a good launchpad to venture into this segment and not sink if it goes wrong.
Yes they are in a good position but they were suggesting building out a few more factories to ship massive amounts of Model 2. That would be an expensive bet if the Model 2 struggled to sell.

At the moment it’s right to hold back regardless on models or be more reserved. Volumes are down, interest rates are high and there’s more anti-EV sentiment than was in the past. Like it not the push probably from oil companies with negative EV articles is having an impact.

Last edited:
To be honest, I’m not sure Tesla could to produce a $25k car which would be up to their general standards anymore. Not with the way pricing is going generally. It may have been achievable back in 2020 when it was first floated bit not any more.

‘Low cost’ is relative, Porsche have a ‘low cost’ car, it still costs £60k. Personally if they could build a car the size of a Ford Puma (B segment crossover) but Tesla style with a 60kwh LFP battery, I would see that selling for £34/35k in the U.K. Perhaps a companies by a B segment hatch for similar money.

That’s your low cost Tesla, I can’t see them going down to an A segment car personally.

would see that selling for £34/35k in the U.K. Perhaps a companies by a B segment hatch for similar money.
£35k electric car is still difficult to shift in volumes in the current climate - Jeep - Avenger EV has shifted only around 200 cars in the last year. I know Tesla is not Jeep but just for comparison the Fiat e600 again shifted only around 200 cars and that costs around £22k. The comparison is the ICE cars of that size costs only around 16-17K. The current environment is not very conducive for BEVs. Tesla as a business has to look at those numbers and the small car is exclusively for the European and Asian market where BEVs roughly costs around 15-16K (in Asia).

The jeep avenger is just too expensive for what it is. It has a WLTP range of 250 miles. Real world range is closer to 150 miles on the motorway in colder months, that’s just poor. It also charges slowly.

t has a WLTP range of 250 miles. Real world range is closer to 150 miles on the motorway in colder months, that’s just poor. It also charges slowly.

Real Rangebetween 135 - 290 mi​

City - Cold Weather190 mi
Highway - Cold Weather135 mi
Combined - Cold Weather160 mi

City - Mild Weather290 mi
Highway - Mild Weather175 mi
Combined - Mild Weather220 mi

Most reviews concluded around 200-220miles in UK. Also the cold weather figures are around -10C whcih we rarely encounter. And the efficiency rated as 267wh/mile isn’t too bad as my SR+ worked out around 247wh/miles. I am sure a fast charge power of 100kw DC is just enough for occasional SC.

And if you are not too happy with all these numbers now they have got a mild hybrid with their 1.2petrol comes in automatic - range of around 500miles - just for £22K base model. If you move up for all the comforts etc., you can have it for £24k around half the price of the same model BEV Jeep avenger.

Last edited:
And if you are not too happy with all these numbers now they have got a mild hybrid with their 1.2petrol comes in automatic - range of around 500miles - just for £22K base model. If you move up for all the comforts etc., you can have it for £24k around half the price of the same model BEV Jeep avenger.
Which is exactly why EV's aren't selling as it's too big a price jump for a lot of people from the ICE versions. Add in if they don't have a driveway or home charging, it'll also probably be more expensive to run the EV than using petrol at current public charging costs. Zero reason for a lot of folks to go EV.

There's zero chance in my opinion that Robotaxi is anywhere close to being ready. What we'll see on 8/8 is a highly curated, tightly controlled demo and Musk will promise that it's coming before the end of the year, etc.

I honestly can't believe the people that are credulously believing that Tesla is on the precipice of competing with the likes of Waymo, etc in this arena. Musk has promised so much and missed so many deadlines that it is a mystery to me why people still fete him.

I have some Tesla shares so have a vested interest in this demo going well, but I can easily imagine it being underwhelming, or failing ala Cybertruck windows, and the stock cratering. To be honest Tesla's share price is already heavily predicated on an imagined future where they have solved and delivered on all of their promises, including Robotaxis, so it could even just simply be a sell the news moment when it turns out it's nowhere near as good as promised.

Real Rangebetween 135 - 290 mi​

City - Cold Weather190 mi
Highway - Cold Weather135 mi
Combined - Cold Weather160 mi

City - Mild Weather290 mi
Highway - Mild Weather175 mi
Combined - Mild Weather220 mi

Most reviews concluded around 200-220miles in UK. Also the cold weather figures are around -10C whcih we rarely encounter. And the efficiency rated as 267wh/mile isn’t too bad as my SR+ worked out around 247wh/miles. I am sure a fast charge power of 100kw DC is just enough for occasional SC.

There is no chance you are getting 200-220 miles range from a car with a WLTP rating of 250 miles in the real world. Sure perhaps around town if you extrapolate it out but the range around town is basically irrelevant. 100kw is still slow…

I would t count on my old Model 3 with a 60kwh battery and a WLTP of 306 doing >210 miles up the motorway. The avenger is a taller car and will impacted more at higher speed.

Which is exactly why EV's aren't selling as it's too big a price jump for a lot of people from the ICE versions.
This really.