79. You may not vote on this poll
  • The S40 still fits my needs, and I am still getting one

46 58.23%
  • The S40 no longer meets my needs, so I am going with a S60

29 36.71%
  • The S40 no longer meets my needs, so I cancelled my reservation

4 5.06%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone actually buying the 40 kWh Model S at this point?

Items for Sale
    I hate hearing this. I am sorry you had to cancel.

Hope to have ya back after your lease...

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Withe the volt lease, I was able to negotiate to have the lease include the 18,000 miles a year, so there will be no overages. My total monthly operating expenses for the Volt are just a tiny bit above half of what I was looking at for the S40 (gas included). Since the car was leased, my up front cost was essentially nothing (in my case, a 10 year old pontiac was traded for the up front fees, and they valued it at 30% above blue book) The rest of the cash I had set aside for the up front payment on the Model S has now been set aside for Gen III. I am hoping with what I save in monthly payments, plus the down payment I had saved up for the model S, I will be able to pay cash for a pretty nicely loaded Gen III.
    While I hate to see you weren't able to make it work out you definitely thought things out and made a good decision. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Volt and hopefully get a tricked out Gen III in three years. Glad you're sticking around TMC too.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I canceled well before when options pricing came out, but if I still had a reservation I would have canceled by now for the same reasons you've listed. I was also buying a 40 though I'm not constrained by budget. BTW I didn't vote in the poll since my vote wouldn't really be valid.

I had originally planned on getting the 40kWh as my daily commute is short (35 miles round trip) and we'll have my wife's X3 for vacation drives, but after it was revealed the 60kWh would have supercharger hardware and software included I've decided to spring for it.
    Model S P85 VIN 03278 1/17/13. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model S P85D on order, ETA Dec. Red, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model X Sig #1242 and regular #3801

P85 & 40kw
    Getting a 40KW pack for her, but a bit unfair to the poll since, I'll also be getting an 85KW performance for me. Obviously we can swap cars if she needs to drive a long distance. We're still tossing the idea of the RAV4EV instead of the 2nd S, simply due to more attractive financial terms. However, I personally feel that the S just has so much more in terms of aesthetics that it's worth the 10K premium over the Rav4.

Yup. Great vid. I like the intro on gas prices, too.

@shokunin Go with 2 S. You should be able to get better rates for ranger visits at least.

I'm still on the fence and the clock is ticking! I started out with the 40kW as my default as my daily commute is about 40 miles and 60-100 miles on the weekend. Plus I thought the battery is too expensive for now (we are on the high side of the technology curve - prices should come down in 3-5 years) and buying a bigger battery is not more cost effective. Also, the $7500 tax credit would be a bigger discount at the lower price point. I was also going to load up most options, excluding paint protector, premium wheels, and sound system. Just within my budget.
    Then they announced the super charger access for the 60 kw and that added a whole new set of value options to consider. Increased range and the possibility of long road trips, significantly increased 0-60 performance. To stretch further to get the 60 kw would mean dropping options, most probably the tech package. It has the least value for me (see "Tech Package-is it really worth getting" thread).
    The service plan was an unwelcome suprise. I'm hoping Tesla comes to their senses before I have to finalize.
    In the end it may come down to what I can afford, but for now I have a choice and don't know which way ill go.

Chas F--Outside observer's viewpoint: If you plan to own the car for a long time and don't see much personal value in the Tech Package the 60 kwh without Tech sounds like it would be of greater value to you than the 40 kwh plus Tech. It seems the only reason for someone like yourself to get the Tech Package who doesn't see great value in it is if you plan to sell the car in just a few years and are considering what used car buyers may prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by ddruz View Post
    Chas F--Outside observer's viewpoint: If you plan to own the car for a long time and don't see much personal value in the Tech Package the 60 kwh without Tech sounds like it would be of greater value to you than the 40 kwh plus Tech. It seems the only reason for someone like yourself to get the Tech Package who doesn't see great value in it is if you plan to sell the car in just a few years and are considering what used car buyers may prefer.
    Thanks for that input ddruz. It helps to get an inpartial perspective to take some the emotion out it. I am planning to keep the car for 10-15 years so I tend to agree with you.

Thread Information