Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will after market mats be necessary or will the Tesla mats be up to snuff?

Items for Sale

Will after market mats be necessary or will the Tesla mats be up to snuff?

When I test drove the Model S a few weeks ago I paid no attention to the floor mats. But based on my experience with many other cars, this seems to be one area where things tend to be done on the cheap. I've frequently bought Lloyd's mats to replace the OEM mats. I hope this won't be necessary on the Model S, but just in case I emailed Lloyd's today to inquire if they plan to make Model S mats. No reply as yet.

Here's a link to the Lloyd's web page on their top-of-the-line Luxe mats, which I've found to be of extraordinary quality.

Luxe Mats | Lloyd Mats

Sounds like yes, especially if you like to have mats for the rear seat passengers.

see also http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...or-Mat-Options

Items for Sale
    This is the reply I received today from Llyod's:

"We should have the pattern for this vehicle within the next couple of weeks."

At the very last stop of the Get Amped Tour, the mats were still looking good.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth OVER doing. - Mythbusters

Debunking Pseudoscience is fun!

Arctic White Roadster 2.5 #1200, S Sig Performance Vin# 227, HAM: KF5WDB

Items for Sale
    Just received an email message from Lloyds:

We now have the Tesla Model S pattern. You may contact a Lloyd retailer
    to place your order.

I doing a test drive at the DC store on Sunday, so I'll be checking out the stock mats very carefully: backing, pile depth, thickness of weave, etc. to determine if the Lloyd's are better quality.

Also just requested a sample of the various color choices. There nine colors.

Items for Sale
    I visited the Washington DC store today for a second test drive, this in the 85 kWh non-performance version. I've posted another thread on the driving experience as well as photos of the interior on the interior photo thread, but the purpose of this thread is to comment on the interior mats/carpets. As the other photos posted have not shown the mats/carpets up close, I thought it would be good to take some close ups while I was shooting the interior.

As the photos illustrate, the mats/carpets are pretty much standard manufacturer's stuff: decent but not top quality worthy of a luxury car. The pile is not very deep and the weave is rather coarse. Here are a few photos.

Regrettably, most luxury cars have carpet/mats of this rather ordinary quality. These are not adequate for me, so I'll be getting a set of Lloyd's Luxe mats, which in my experience are the best of the after-market carpets available. Lloyd's has 12 different color choices for the Luxe version , so I've asked them to send me samples. As soon as they arrive, I'll visit a Tesla store and photograph them in the interior and post the photos here, so all can see how they match the interior and make their own choices.

Some others on this thread have suggest using rubber mats available from a number of manufacturers. Not for me. IMHO, the rubber mats are more appropriate for an SUV or soothing like a Honda Element. But not for a luxury car. I've installed the Lloyd's Luxe mats in all of my cars and they hold up quite well in snow and other inclement weather when lots of gunk are dragged into the car by shoes and boots. The Lloyd's clean up like new all the time, most likely because they're treated to prevent stains and to enable easy cleaning.

More when I get the Lloyd's samples, probably this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks artsci! That would be helpful.
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by artsci View Post
    Some others on this thread have suggest using rubber mats available from a number of manufacturers. Not for me. IMHO, the rubber mats are more appropriate for an SUV or soothing like a Honda Element. But not for a luxury car. I've installed the Lloyd's Luxe mats in all of my cars and they hold up quite well in snow and other inclement weather when lots of gunk are dragged into the car by shoes and boots. The Lloyd's clean up like new all the time, most likely because they're treated to prevent stains and to enable easy cleaning.
    I find this interesting. We've got rubber mats in our A6, Q5 and R8 because none of us care enough to constantly wipe feet and such for carpet. If you say these mats can hold up though, I'd be interested in trying them.

Does Tesla intall 'hooks' to prevent the mats from sliding?

Edit: I have no financial interest whatsoever in the Mat Company!
    Last edited by Lloyd; 2012-09-30 at 04:31 PM.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

Items for Sale
    Actually, there were no mats in the car, only the carpet that lines the floor and side panels. None in the front and none in the rear. I looked for hooks, but there were none that I could find. Maybe there are mats that had been removed for test drives, but I didn't ask. But judging what I saw of the quality of the other carpeting, if the mats were missing they're probably not made at a higher level of quality. Perhaps others can check this out when they do test drives.

Thread Information