Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will after market mats be necessary or will the Tesla mats be up to snuff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize for the grainy iPhone photo. Our mats from Lloyds (autoanything.com) arrived today. Surprisingly, no evil smell.

Uncharastically, my frugal wife suggested we ordered the Lloyds Luxe (most expensive) for the interior cabin areas, and order the Lloyds Ultimats (mid-range) for the cargo areas. So, being a wise man, I agreed.
They arrived today, and I have to say, the quality is top-notch. The (lower-cost) Ultimats won't disappoint anyone.
We ordered “black” (not ebony or charcoal) and yes, they are “black”.
So, all interior areas with Lloyds Luxe, and all cargo areas with Lloyds Ultimats, total cost, $425.60. The black color on both styles is an identical match.
We have a 6-year-old, so we had to do something for the middle row floor.
--A.
Tesla Lloyds mats 2.JPG

Looks great Monsoon!
I'll be very interested to compare the Lloyd's Ultimat to the Luxe in person (hopefully at Mark's event).
I ordered the Ultimat just for the passenger areas. I figure that was the most pressing with delivery happening this week.
I'm sure I won't be able to resist getting the cargo mats as well.

Something to think about for the cargo mats: I decided to get a footwell mat and not get the big cargo mat and I think that's working out.

Reason is I like to use the footwell area for groceries or other stuff that might tip over. I think a propane tank will fit in the well too.

The footwell has its own cover though so I use the well as a small trunk while I wait for the parcel shelf. People can't see what's in it and it's easier to get to than the frunk.

The only thing I might switch is getting an Ultimat instead of the rubber for the footwell.

Thanks for the advice and photos. I bought the same interior mats and trunk mat as you recommended. I did not get a frunk mat as we will rarely use that storage. I also ordered HEXOMAT rubber mats for the front only. If Telsa comes out with logo-ed rubber mats I may order a set of those. I cancelled my order from Telsa for interior mats as they were over priced plus had expensive shipping charges of $68 + NYS tax. Where the shipping from Auto Anything was free and no NYS tax. Will report back on the HEXOMATs after we get them.

@Sousaphil
Yes, we'll see you at MarkR's gathering tomorrow (2/9/2013). We can't wait to see your car -- the color combo sounds very cool. And your pano roof, I want to make a bet on AZ summer sun, heat-gain, and interior temperatures... :)

Regarding floor mats, I actually over-bought (Lloyds, see pic above). In hindsight, you need a better set of front mats, and a matching set of back-seat mats. The way my car arrived, I really didn't need a better-quality fronk mat, trunk mat, or under-trunk mat. Phoenix isn't snow and ice country -- just dust. I could have solved the floor mat issue for about half of what I purchased. (Welcome to being an early adopter.)

In hindsight, you need a better set of front mats, and a matching set of back-seat mats. The way my car arrived, I really didn't need a better-quality fronk mat, trunk mat, or under-trunk mat. Phoenix isn't snow and ice country -- just dust. I could have solved the floor mat issue for about half of what I purchased. (Welcome to being an early adopter.)

I hear ya about the frunk; I was surprised to find a mat there. But the huge trunk definitely looks nice with a big, thick mat. I'm very happy I ended up getting the interior matts. The Tesla stock mat was folding over on itself after only a day. The Lloyd's Ultimats are nice and thick, no folding yet. I'm also very happy with the large back seat mat. Without that, I may not have offered any rides without handing out disposable booties :)

There have been a couple of posts on this and some of the other threads that the Lloyd's mat for the cargo hold isn't fitting correctly. Since I'm going to have the rear jump seats and two kids overly excited about sitting there, I really do want a mat that fits (and is highly durable - might even do rubber there).

Does anyone have a recommendation? Perhaps I read the earlier posts incorrectly?

- - - Updated - - -

There have been a couple of posts on this and some of the other threads that the Lloyd's mat for the cargo hold isn't fitting correctly

I can't seem to edit my own post yet - so I'm talking about the footwell, not the full trunk mat - though I've seen that neither of them are fitting right, seems like the footwell is far worse.

Has anyone tried screwing in the hooks that come with the Llyod mats?

For the front seats I could only manage to install the 2 outer hooks. I don't think the Ultimat is really much of an upgrade over the mats supplied by Tesla, so I'd skip the front seat Lloyds if doing this again.

I'd love to see a photo of the hexomats installed - they look pretty ugly from the small thumbnails, but I imagine are better once laid out in the car.