Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will after market mats be necessary or will the Tesla mats be up to snuff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks are they adding the tesla logo?

It's not available yet, probably because they need Tesla to give Lloyd's the IP rights to use it. That may delay it's availability quite a bit, as when lawyers get involved everything gets unnecessarily complicated (if on retainer, the more hours the lawyers spend on a task the more they get paid). If Tesla has in-house counsel, that might help speed things up.

I'm assuming availability of the logo might take 6-12 months, if ever, so when I get my car and mats I'm taking the latter to the local EmbroidMe shop to have them embroider the logo on the front mats (in red, of course). If an individual owner uses the logo on his own car and stuff, that's not a violation of Tesla's IP.

What's the "small deck?"

With the Standard Trunk Mat, how do you get into the hidden well? I would think you'd have to lift the whole mat to get access to the lift handle, right?

I've emailed my contact at Lloyd's (the person who sent me the samples) to answer these questions. I've also given them a link to this thread so Lloyd's can see the questions and post answers. I've also told them that the drawings on the web sites of vendors appear to be generic and certainly don't match the spaces in the Model S. When they reply to my email, if they answers the questions I'll post them.

I'm assuming the small deck mat is for the frunk, but it could be a separate cover for the hidden well. But guesses aren't good when we're spending that kind of money, and the information Lloyd's and its vendors supply does not make this clear.

I didn't want to wait so I purchased the all-vehicle Weathertech mats - front and rear. They are designed to be cut to size to fit any auto. They fit very well and I didn't cut them at all (although one could cut a bit of the corner of the driver's side mat out to uncover the left foot rest - I did not find that necessary). I think these mats are going to be great. When Weathertech makes the custom mats for the Model S I hope that the rear mats are larger than the generic mats. In fact, since there is no hump, it would be very cool if they made a single mat to cover the entire floor from door to door in the back.

Lloyd's responded to my email today and answered the questions we've raised about the Luxe mats for the Model S.

1. As we suspected, the drawings of the mats shown on vendors web sites are generic mat shapes and don't represent the actual shapes of the Model S mats.

2. What Lloyd's calls the "small deck" mat fits over the hidden well in the rear of the Model S (this is the floor in front of the rear jump seats when the jump seat become available from Tesla).

3. Frunk: Lloyd's will have the frunk mat listed on its website within 48 hours and its vendors will begin selling it then.

4. The hidden well is covered by the Lloyd standard trunk mat for the rear deck. You have to lift or roll back the mat gain access to the hidden well.

Hope that helps.

I shot some photos of the Lloyd's mat color samples today in the Menlo Park store.

The first two photos show two tan colors against the tan leather seat sample. As the photos show, #066 is an excellent match.

DSC_2283.JPG

DSC_2284.JPG

This photo shows the dark blue color (#30) against the same sample. Depending on the look you want, this could be a good choice, especially in a blue car.

DSC_2285.JPG

The next two photos show the gray, blue, and black colors against the gray leather. Some interesting choices here.

DSC_2289.JPG

DSC_2290.JPG

This photo shows the gray and tan sample against the stock front driver's side mat. You can see that the Lloyd's pile is much thicker and dense. The gray is a very good match for the stock mat color.

DSC_2326.JPG

The final photo shows the same sample on the driver's seat. Again, an excellent match for the tan.

DSC_2327.JPG

The question for me is do I put tan mats in my car (blue with tan interior, carbon fiber)? I think so, but my concern is whether the tan will show dirt too easily.

I ordered Lloyd's Ultimats (1 level down from the Luxe; same backing and waterproof layer, but the pile is not as dense or long; significantly lighter and cheaper) before Artsci posted his pics. I was just picking based on monitor colors, but for front and rear-seat mats, I chose the same color he did to go with the existing carpet (artsci calls it gray; Lloyd calls it Ebony; #018 for Luxe, 118 for Ultimat). I ordered them from autoanything.com; they had a decent price and free shipping, and I'd used them before. They arrived today.

They are definitely more substantial than the factory mats, though not real heavyweights (look to Luxe for that). They are lighter in color than the stock mats. Which is fine by me; that lightens the interior a bit, and hides the dirt a little better. It is not so much lighter that it is distracting, at least not to me. It is not as much lighter as it appears in the photo below; the Ultimat reflects light better (and looks very different depending on the angle and lighting). Lloyd's Ultimat on the left, Tesla mat on the right; both are for the passenger seat:

IMG_4830.JPG

Here is how it looks next to the black leather:

IMG_4831.JPG

Here is it under the driver's feet:

IMG_4829.JPG

And in the rear seat:

IMG_4821.JPG

Here's a close-up in the rear seat that helps show that the "darkness" of the mats depends a lot on lighting:

IMG_4822.JPG

For the cargo area, I ordered Lloyd's Velourtex mats, which are cheaper yet - but still have the same backing. I got those in black (color 960) assuming it would be closer match to the existing carpet; I was less interested in lightening things up or hiding dirt back there. It's still not a perfect match - and still lighter than the factory carpet. But pretty close. Here it is in the cargo area; a great color match if you get the right angle:

IMG_4820.JPG

But not quite as good from other angles:

IMG_4815.JPG

Note that it covers the lower cargo area. I also bought a mat for down there; I'm less happy with that, as it doesn't cover much (to be fair to them, it's kind of curvy and hard to tell exactly where floor ends and walls begin):

IMG_4818.JPG

Last edited:
I'm very pleased you posted these photos ChadS as I was not sure about the shapes and coverage area of the front mats. They cover more than I had assumed. I've ordered at set of the Luxe mats and am now discussing with the vendor the possibility of embroidering the Tesla logo in red on the front mats. I sent them a file of the logo and am waiting to hear back.

Lloyd's Ultimat on the left, Tesla mat on the right; both are for the passenger seat:

View attachment 10912

Chad these two look quite different to me - could you comment on the fit?
1. Left side of Tesla mat is straight, but Lloyd's mat has a bit of a curve
2. Upper left corner of Tesla mat has a corner cut out, but Lloyd's does not
3. Right side notch of Tesla mat looks more like a right angle than the Lloyd's
4. Lloyd's mat has anchor holes. Do they come with anchor points that you have to mount in the floor of the car somehow?