Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are the "Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled?"
There are none yet, that was a feature that is to be added after the FSD is fully baked.

They made some test units of a "snake" in a lab but never put one on a public charger.

No one knows for certain when it does happen if it'll be the "snake" charger plug in method or if it will be an Optimus standing there to do it or if it'll be an induction pad under the parking space.

All have been discussed, zero have been installed at a permanent public supercharger location.

Almost all Tesla's since 2018 have infrared lights, 2 of them to the left and right of the cabin camera. They are about 2 inches away from the camera.
Go out to your car at night, turn on your cellphone camera and look at the cabin camera. You will see those infrared lights.. This is how they monitor you at night.
my model y does not, as near as I can tell. Tried the cell phone camera trick and see nothing.

We have no idea what they are using what they purchased for. It could be in the factory to measure panel alignment or other things. We don't have any way of knowing if they are using them for FSD. (Well, other than Elon saying that they don't even need them for ground truth anymore.)
So if Tesla is their largest customer, where exactly are all the lidar sensors going? If they were using them for FSD we would have seen them in cars by now. Using a few for testing/validating camera data wouldn't explain the volume, either.

If you use 8 lidars - do you then ditch Vision completely? You probably need fewer than that if you leverage the existing Vision technology.

Wikipedia says that Waymo's lidars cost $7,500 per vehicle in 2017.
Even if they cost $100 a piece that's nowhere near enough to supply even one model of Tesla (well, maybe the Roadster...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pdubs
No, the cars end users sit in won't have lidar. Not 1, Not 2, not 4, not 8.

No vision won't be ditched, No vision won't be reduced, vision is all there is.
In the beginning there was darkness. And then the Lord Elon said let there be light. And it was good. But the Teslas were blind to the light and could not turn without curbing the wheels and could not accurately stop at stop signs and could not read speed limit signs. And the Lord Elon spaketh and said "Let My Teslas see!" And the Teslas had vision with which to gauge occupancy and blind spots and rain drops and parking spaces. And after two weeks the Lord Elon said, "it is good."

But and evil presence from Mountain View arose and said to the masses "Your eyes deceive you for there is more to be seen than can be seen with visible light! To truly see one must use lasers!" Thus the false prophet of Lidar came to be. But the Lord Elon grew angry and exclaimed "In Tesla Vision hath I given you all you need. There is only vision and vision is all there is!" And the Teslas were glad.

Last edited:
The LIDAR systems night be getting used for factory automation. Or Optimus testing—neither of which would be publically visible.

So many people have gotten twisted out of proportion for the silliest things lately.

First Tesla’s not going to make the Model 2 anymore.

Then they’re not going to make Superchargers anymore.

Then they’re putting LIDAR on all their cars and abandoning the vision-only approach.

None of that makes any sense.

Are we in bizarro world?

I like the panel alignment hypothesis. 1 cm accuracy explains a lot! :p

Luminar says "This was offset by sensor sales to Tesla, which was our largest LiDAR customer in Q1 and comprised more than 10% of our revenue in the quarter." That doesn't preclude that much of the revenue was from consulting.
What are their services?
1715313440824.png

They lay off the supercharger team before this “validator”? SMDH
Totally ridiculous. And you can already tell with 12.4 it is going to be total garbage. I've never seen such incompetent turns.

This is no longer funny, and it's no longer something that we can bet beer on. It's nothing short of the survival of Tesla at stake. This is dead serious stuff. Can they demonstrate basic competence?

If I were smart I would just unload the remaining position I have with them from 2019. This is just not a good sign. Literally could turn the company around with a couple of good hires.

If I were smart I would just unload the remaining position I have with them from 2019. This is just not a good sign. Literally could turn the company around with a couple of good hires.
Haha. I was assuming that it would be a clear path a good percentage of the time and wasn’t considering condition 2) failures (though if the guy behind you honks then that’s a failure).
This is a geofenced, overfit case now, I’m willing to take the over on 90% without condition #1.
Our original bet Jul 15th 2022. Stock price $240. You knew it would be years of failure and yet did not sell. Sad!
End-to-end will get the first nine and send stock to the moon.
Bet is still on for 12.5?

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Reactions: FSDtester#1