Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This man is saying what we’re all thinking…the new M3P is a huge let down. One can argue the opposite “rationalizing your purchase for a new car” but at the end of the day we all wanted more top end power and this release doesn’t have it…

I'm not exactly how the new vehicle is a 'huge let down'.

Nope, I don't have one yet, but from various reviews I've seen:

The car is quicker/faster than he previous version in just about every way (More power/torque/etc.)
The interior has been upgraded with better sound proofing
The suspension is apparently substantially better
Slightly improved aerodynamics
Ventilated sports seats
Slightly larger front screen
Addition of the rear-seat screen
Fewer parts = fewer potential points of failure

And so on.

Is there some definitive/measurable way in which the new M3P is 'worse' than the previous year?

Not trying to be argumentative, just really trying to understand some of the disappointment I see. So far it seems like it boils down to some folks having high expectations, and when high expectations are not met, even smaller improvements are often overlooked.

The car is quicker/faster than he previous version in just about every way (More power/torque/etc.)
Ventilated sports seats

And so on.

Is there some definitive/measurable way in which the new M3P is 'worse' than the previous year?

Not trying to be argumentative, just really trying to understand some of the disappointment I see. So far it seems like it boils down to some folks having high expectations, and when high expectations are not met, even smaller improvements are often overlooked.

Definitely had higher expectations...but also thought the car would be significantly more expensive. Given it's low price point, I think the car is a great value. There is also room for another higher level trim actually if Tesla wanted it. I'm excited to see the actual performance results when this gets released publicly.

Reactions: arkhos

Ventilated sports seats

And so on.

There’s a lot of truth to your reply! I had high expectations of the top end pull improving substantially. In the pursuit of that expectation becoming a reality I did overlook the good small improvements they made. Overall I think it’s solid, I was just hoping for a Plaid go kart 🤗

No one knows for sure right now since there just isn’t much data. It seems likely it will have better high speed pull, but not quite at S/X LR level (let alone Plaid)
My guess is it will hit a wall at around 90mph whereas before it was at 60-70mph. The new drive units are capable of nearly 700hp altogether but battery constraints… Wonder if they’ll refresh the battery soon after this first iteration.

Reactions: MarkoP
My guess is it will hit a wall at around 90mph whereas before it was at 60-70mph. The new drive units are capable of nearly 700hp altogether but battery constraints… Wonder if they’ll refresh the battery soon after this first iteration.
Bigger issue than the battery I think is that the front motor is still induction and will have a steep power drop off still.

Reactions: Vi Althans
There’s a lot of truth to your reply! I had high expectations of the top end pull improving substantially. In the pursuit of that expectation becoming a reality I did overlook the good small improvements they made. Overall I think it’s solid, I was just hoping for a Plaid go kart 🤗
I can definitely sense that here - if we had some more data, 0-60 tests,. 1/4 miles, top-end numbers, it would at least clear the air a bit.

Here's hoping we get that info sooner rather than later, even if it's just so we finally -know-. :)

Bigger issue than the battery I think is that the front motor is still induction and will have a steep power drop off still.
Front motor no longer matters until about 90 mph. Rear motor can take so much power they are actually starving the front motor to feed the rear motor until almost triple digits. That gives you an artificial flat HP curve until almost 100 mph. It will definitely fall off after that though.

(re-post as I posted in the wrong thread earlier) So it's been 2 weeks now since the new MP3 launch and I've seen all the media YouTube video reviews which were released that day or days later that didn't tell us what we really wanted to see, some actual test results!
Not sure why Matt Watson was brought into the Austin plant to test the Cybertruck but was not one of the early media to test the new M3P. Would be fun to see him line this up in a three way race against the previous M3P and the new IONIQ 5N here in the states. And you know he'll drive in the one he thinks is the fastest cause that dude hates losing. Doing this same video in the UK with the same cars won't be as telling because of the MP3 battery differences between the US Panasonic spec'd M3P and the LG spec'd M3P.

Ventilated sports seats

And so on.

Agree and you haven't even mentioned forged wheels with 40mm wider rear tires. So many improvements make this a much improved vehicle and far from being a let down. When they make this in QuickSilver and if they ever re-offer FSD transfer, I'm all over it.

I 100% guarantee this thing pulls harder from 60-100 mph than the current car IF the battery is fully optimized.

Maybe they have sandbagged the specs because the new car is so battery dependent. It might be much more capable with a hot battery than with a cold battery and they don’t want people to try it with a cold battery and say “why can’t it hit the numbers you said”.

My hope is that insane mode preps the car for the full potential of the car without needing to do anything else.

Personally I would benefit from people backing out of this car because I have a later delivery date. However, the evidence is there. This car is quicker at every speed than the old car especially if the battery is optimized.

Yes. Please people cancel your car. This car is sh*t. I don't even know why they bothered.

the M3P is faster than the LR versions of the S and x.
Correct. Actually, owners have only been able to pull off 0-60 times of 3.3 seconds vs the advertised 3.1 in the MS LR despite Tesla NOT subtracting the 1 ft rollout time in their ads like they do with the Plaid. So the new M3P will be noticeable faster from a dig.

Jason Camissa noted on his YouTube podcast that he got sub 3 second runs with a passenger onboard without rollover subtracted. That would indicate that the Tesla might be sandbagging the true performance.

Reactions: G80Crusin_