Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading to a faster Intel Atom Chip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Intel Atom chip Tesla uses is the Atom N450 using a BGA559. Being a Linux based operating system, why can't the chip be swapped out with a slightly faster BGA559 processor like a N475 chip or maybe even a 2 core N570 processor? Has anyone attempted this?

• Disagree
Reactions: jyavenard
The Intel Atom chip Tesla uses is the Atom N450 using a BGA559. Being a Linux based operating system, why can't the chip be swapped out with a slightly faster BGA559 processor like a N475 chip or maybe even a 2 core N570 processor? Has anyone attempted this?
The cpu is soldered in on the MCU board. Who's going to try to de-solder something like that and try to install something that only slightly faster when it gives also no benefits. It's not like you get the new updates.

Googling hasn't told me what this brick emoji means. Can someone enlighten me?

For Electronics "bricking" them means rendering them non functional. The original meaning of the term also means "not recoverable" as in you turned the electronic object "into a brick".

People use it all the time incorrectly though, especially here on TMC, where someone will try to create a thread or make a post about "So and so BRICKED my such and such! I had to reboot it a few times but then it worked!" or " The last update BRICKED my car! I had to let it sleep for an hour, then it started working again.

"bricking" an electronic device generally means its unrecoverable or at minimum would require some sort of re flashing something using a special / specific process, but the normal usage now seems to mean "it stopped working for a bit".

Still hoping that they offer a Ryzen retrofit in the future.
I’m hoping the new roadster uses a vertical screen as the prototype did. That way you might be able to hack an entire Ryzen setup yourself, even if you have to dump the extra heat into the cabin because your legacy S/X doesn’t have a cooling loop. If Ryzen builds only ever release in horizontal UI, I doubt you’d even ever be able to try it.

As for an official Tesla retrofit, that seems unlikely.

It shouldn’t be too tough to figure out which other Intel CPU chips are pin compatible with the current chipset. Maybe just as useful for a performance boost, it would be interesting to see what a doubling of memory would do, if someone decides to put the unit on a rework station and desolder/resolder chips.

Last edited: