Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel that's a little unfair. One thing I've noticed as a pattern with Tesla/Musk in general is they don't respond unless they are sued. They also claim to never settle any unjust cases (so a lot of these are just?) so a lot of these just need to go through the legal process, but takes a long time and this case possibly started as far back as 2018. I don't think I'd want anyone to be dumping toxic mats next to where I live, but until lawsuits fly, there is a history of Tesla (and his companies) not paying, etc. More links of settlements, not paying bills even in TX, etc unless sued.

"It’s led to dozens of outstanding liens since 2019. In total, Reuters reports that more than two dozen companies have filed 72 liens, 41 of which were filed this year, adding up to more than $2.5 million due in payments. "

Musk is also quick to claim legal action/sue against anything against him too:
How much is this chalked up to Fremont being an old site compared to the newer Giga Factories? IMO, Fremont has outlived its usefulness.

Today's jump pushed TSLA market cap back above the 10th market cap milestone of 550b, but still short of the final two 600b and 650b triggers. The revenue and EBITDA milestones were kind of a joke - at least the first 8-10. Model 3 demand was well established and Y demand pretty clearly follows. There were a few failure scenarios still in play at the time -- e.g. what if Jerome Guillen and team hadn't jury-rigged Model T-style manual production lines out of spare parts from Musk's Alien Dreadnought debacle? But apart from self-inflicted catastrophes the die was pretty much cast.

That said, Tesla could slip back below the final 14b EBITDA milestone for full year 2024 if vehicle deliveries crash to ~1.6m.
Both the market cap and operational (Rev & EBITDA) milestones simply had to be met. More than that, they were sustained for several Qs each. I'm not sure what your point is in pointing out we are currently below the "final triggers" because they already triggered.

I find it extremely suspect this Deleware decision to overturn the comp package (brought about by someone with 9 shares) coincides with record shorting (in terms of number of shares) at a paradoxical time (relative minimum in SP). It's almost like they are trying to suppress the price action to keep the market cap under the "final triggers" enough to try to insinuate whatever it is you are trying to insinuate. Of course, some may try to write this possibility off as nonsensical conspiracy, but others are not so sure to ignore such coincidences.

Last edited:
FWIW There are twitter rumours showing a new center console for an updated model Y. Probably nonsense, but its not like its hard to imagine we are due a small model Y update.
I wouldn't expect it to be a major sales driver, more of a 'keep up with highland' thing, but nevertheless it would be nice to see.

Some speculated Tom Zhu returning to China was specifically to oversee the Y refresh. Ideally when it comes to the US (likely next year) they don't fumble it as badly as the US did HIghland.

I find it extremely suspect this Deleware decision to overturn the comp package (brought about by someone with 9 shares) coincides with record shorting (in terms of number of shares) at a paradoxical time (relative minimum in SP).

For clarity- isn't % of float a much more useful measure than "# of shares"? And wasn't the short % MUCH higher in the past than it is today?

That cites % of float sold short in the 22-31% range over a period of months in 2018.

Today it's what, maybe 3 or 4 percent? (3.87% as of 4/30)

No one who follows Elon should be surprised by his method of letting people go and subsequently rehiring some.

Ridiculous, you are not talking about shares you can sell and buy back a couple of days later. We are talking about people who have commitments based on continuous employment and people who have emotions. This is not how you treat them

For clarity- isn't % of float a much more useful measure than "# of shares"? And wasn't the short % MUCH higher in the past than it is today?
A higher % of float makes the stock more prone to a squeeze, but I'm not sure it's a more useful measure when it comes to the point I am making. My point is that high short interest often paradoxically coincides with a relative minimum of the SP. I hope I don't have to explain again why this is paradoxical.

Yes, short interest % was higher in '18-'19, as you pointed out.

Being an excellent circus clown or Walmart greeter does not mean one has credentials to question the business management skills of the world's most successful entrepreneur.
Why not? Remember, it is not just solely Elon who build the company. The company was build by all the people who work there. If your CEO treats the people who help you build the company it says something about you and how you view the company.

As for the fact that Tesla and SpaceX are the most desirable places for graduates to work for. I wonder how long it would last. A couple of years ago I would have loved to work for one of these companies. Seeing how the CEO has evolved, no thank you.

Screenshot_20240514_135501_Chrome.jpg

Regarding Elon's pay, what surprised me is the absence of any pay package going forward from where the previous one left off. Will this mean waiting for the next AGM to work that out? Could there be a special meeting once Tesla incorporates elsewhere?

IIRC Elon tweeted that they are waiting for the case on the old/current package to be resolved before creating a new one. That was before things heated up. Can´t find a source right now, does anyone else remember that?!

How much is this chalked up to Fremont being an old site compared to the newer Giga Factories? IMO, Fremont has outlived its usefulness.
If you had all the money in the world, sure a replacement factory would be a nice to have. However, Fremont is the most productive automobile factory in North America--even with it's issues.

I didn't make this connection between the proposed move to Texas and the (apparent) possibility of Elon gaining more voting power without simply owning more standard shares. Quoting from Elon's tweet...bolding and big text mine:

"If I have 25%, it means I am influential, but can be overridden if twice as many shareholders vote against me vs for me.

At 15% or lower, the for/against ratio to override me makes a takeover by dubious interests too easy.

I would be fine with a dual class voting structure to achieve this, but am told it is impossible to achieve post-IPO in Delaware."

So, perhaps the move to Texas will provide a path to additional voting power for Elon without requiring an enormous grant of stock options?

If you had all the money in the world, sure a replacement factory would be a nice to have. However, Fremont is the most productive automobile factory in North America--even with it's issues.
And the QC is high there now. Not Shanghai perfect but pretty good on my last two. No gripes with the Austin rental I had awhile either but the institutional memory etc now at Fremont is worth something,