Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the agreement allows the export of collected data, at least that's not mentioned in the article.

And I doubt the Chinese government would support FSD for free given the current geopolitical situation, I think Tesla would have to offer something in return, my guess is the data collected in China would be shared with Baidu.
It strikes me that CCP is using Tesla to force excellence on the national entities and thereby making a more competitive product. In time Tesla will have the same issues with FSD in china as they have manufacturing in China. No profits. In the short term though this will provide a stock boost and rightfully so.

Trolls and fudsters seem silent today 🤔 😂
I can’t see them for obvious reasons..presumably they are searching for white sheets.

1714394323703.gif

All of this simply ‘blows my mind’. This is a huge set of developments that do show official Chinese support for Tesla regardless of national tensions between US and China. It is no accident that in some local reports he has been recently described as ‘South African’. The Agreement allows export of vehicle operations data, including that of interior cameras, to be used to improve FSD. With Baidu struggling to improve it’s own Robotaxi operations, there are obvious mutual interests. There are many more details, including official support fir the new to-be-built Megapack factory.

It is difficult to overstate these developments. However, there is no clear evidence how all this will be received in the US government. This time the official positions of both US Presidential candidates seem unlikely to support these moves. From that perspective the China approved data export and return of improved FSD functionality might not be enthusiastically supported. When combined with the pending deal to have CATL supply factory equipment to support a Tesla-owned battery factory…we can only hope all this comes to fruition as planned.

At it’s core this group of successes demonstrate spectacular success.

Don’t forget the ‘fine print’: Tesla vehicles can now enter all Chinese government compounds! Those of us who watched askance as Tesla lost those access points years ago are very much impressed! That portends a sales spike.
Ah, yet another of those impossible feats attained. 🤣😂 Will you (general and/or specific) learn this time or not? I’m going to bet not.

Tesla had better be on high vigilance re IP protection.
On this subject Baidu, specifically, is very advanced. Baidu and Tesla have had a cooperative relationship, based in part by Robin Li and Elon Muck sharing many common views. Look up Robin Li rather than dismissing this deal as some version of ‘intellectual property theft’.
Despite all the histrionics we all should realize the enormity of these deals. Actual, living, FSD has just made gigantic forward moves, facilitated by the data processing exceptions granted to Tesla.

Frankly, folks, many of us are firmly stuck in the 1990’s. It is not 2024. Not too much need for intellectual property theft when the pace of change is so rapid and management prowess overwhelms any given static IP.

I was worried to distraction that TSLA had lost it’s way. Now we see ‘Four Dimensional Chess’ in action!

The only risk now is if Luddites screw this up. That is a very real risk.

Amazing news, Tesla had to compromise here potentially with partnerning with Baidu but this opens up billions in profits from FSD for the future.
No compromise! Robin Li and Elon Musk pulled off a fundamental partnership. Each has much if offer the other, as they’ve learning over their years together already. FWIW, Rubin Li knows Buffalo better than does Elon Musk.

Trolls and fudsters seem silent today 🤔 😂
It's like some of you are begging for attention from bears, then complaining when people post negative interpretations of developments. We've seen this before, strong runups on hopes of certain developments, then results come in.

Xi would've asked for A LOT in exchange for favoring an external auto company over their own. Elon's bet is that FSD will be enough to push the sales of Tesla in China, as they've dropped hard in Q2.

Me three, March delivery. Two weeks earlier and I could have been part of the Broder-debunking Roadtrip - good reminder of the progress.
Spent the time waiting for delivery reading the Tesla.com forum, then somebody there suggested this one, and someone here suggested buying stock, today’s cost basis $2.52 - another good reminder of progress.
OT OT OT
pix of 8 vehicles in Broder debunking road trip w/drivers at Gude Drive, Rockville, Maryland, USA Service Center
S85's could make the jump from Delaware rest area supercharger to New York city as S60's were not quite big enough
@CatB
1714394891192.jpeg

Don't know why is the mapping function is related to FSD? Tesla doesn't do mapping. I think Tesla uses Google in US and Baidu in China for mapping function, FSD or not?

Considering this deal comes right after Elon's trip, it is probably related to FSD. I think Baidu probably provides more than "mapping and navigation function".
Check out Baidu Robotaxi for a tiny introduction to the broader context of this deal. To avoid too much work for those who won’t do it themselves:
Baidu operates the largest fleet of Robitaxis, limited geofenced. Baidu mapping functions are themselves not generic.
Sum: This is not a one way street, they share.

AFAIK Tesla still gets maps from google outside of china, so its just swapping google for a local map partner? I think Tesla still uses google for route planning too. FSD does the moment-by-moment driving, but it doesn't handle planning a route. It doesn't know about toll roads and road closures. Thats a higher level piece of planning that sits seperate to the car-control aspect driven by FSD.
Tesla probably thinks a baidu deal is fine, as otherwise they would use google anyway, and China gets to look like its in control by 'forcing' Tesla to partner with a Chinese company. Everyone's happy :D.*
*except shortsellers.
Keep underestimating Baidu and overestimating Google. This is much more than that.

It strikes me that CCP is using Tesla to force excellence on the national entities and thereby making a more competitive product. In time Tesla will have the same issues with FSD in china as they have manufacturing in China. No profits. In the short term though this will provide a stock boost and rightfully so.
Based on 20 years experience working china I would 100% agree with this. But as a tactical win. Brilliant

Google does provide Tesla with road closures and traffic updates. Detours information usually happens on hwys more than city streets. Google is banned in China so they have to partner up with the google of China to enable fsd.
Not that simple. Anyway Google data is often stale, near-instantaneous updates needed, and Google/Waze don’t even have exactly compatible data themselves.

What do you mean by no profits? If shanghai produces a model Y that is then exported to the UK, presumably the profit from that outside-china sale flows to the US?

Reactions: Thekiwi
One response from Chinese Owner. I find it interesting. Can anybody from here comment on this?

Boon

@booncooll

As a Chinese and a modelY car owner, Baidu is not a good choice. Amap is more trustworthy. Many Chinese Tesla owners need to install a mobile phone holder for their Tesla because they are not used to using Baidu Maps. Let’s use the Amap Map APP in the mobile APP. Amap Map is more accurate and easier to use than Baidu Map. But whether to use Amap or Baidu Map, ELON seems to have no choice.