Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Optimus Sub-Prime Robot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either you tell the robot "function high5() set pose = 0.1 0.4 0.9 1;" or you input that string into a neural network something like this:
View attachment 1020322
and out comes "pose 0.11 0.41 0.88 1.01" which is basically the same, but the neural figured thinks it better and can adapt to the environment.

Then you extend this to include language in the input aka "go fetch me a beer and then take the dog out for a walk".
So is that what the paper is doing?

Reactions: CarlS and Linkmeup
It seems that Elon's intuition that humanoid robots will be the next big thing has been validated by a lot of other players entering the same space. It's a race now, which imo is a bit worrying because I think many teams will be lax on security/safety of the bots, which is where Elon started his presentations.

I think what Figure.ai lacks is the production/productization. And imo Tesla should probably started with that already, start building the factories so once/if they have the product, they have a good chance of becoming the leader before someone else does.

The Optimus team seems to be located in California so I would assume they want the factory close by. But maybe they want it in Austin as that their main base of operation right now.

I wonder if they will go for a few big lines or if they will do more of assembly stations. Anyone got some good videos discussing this?

The same thing happened with self driving cars and after 8 years no one is profitable with them. Except for Tesla with partial self driving. Suspect the same can be said for Mobileye and ADAS.

I doubt we are going to see huge breakthroughs in robotics in the next 3 years. Yes there will be significant advances incorporating LLM tech, but that won't move the needle enough for mass humanoid production. We will continue to see specialized robots production increase.

Last edited:
I have spent no more than 2 mins looking at Figure. Almost certainly just another Tesla killer. How did they turn out? Some other team that we have never heard of will more likely be better competition. Either way, competition is irrelevant. This is about winning in an infinite market. 10% of infinity is still infinite. Optimus needs to be capable of doing useful work, profitable, cash flow positive (ideally), scalable and cheaper than a Chinese blue collar human. It's actually a low bar for a team like Tesla and will serve as a goal until the industry has built a billion or more bots.