Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please remove "Preconditioning battery" message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until Tesla comes up with a better fix, if you find yourself in another 60-mile trap, try inputting the actual address to where the SuC is and then when you get within a few miles, select the SuC on the map as the destination. Certainly not an ideal solution, but would get rid of the message.

Reactions: Bobbo8
Until Tesla comes up with a better fix, if you find yourself in another 60-mile trap, try inputting the actual address to where the SuC is and then when you get within a few miles, select the SuC on the map as the destination. Certainly not an ideal solution, but would get rid of the message.

Fortunately we only saw that once in over 20 Supercharger stops on this trip.

so does the preconditioning mode have any user-visible effect? is it reducing the range by heating the battery? is performance compromised?

meaning, what is the reason why they feel they need to put this in the UI at all? are they trying to prepare you for the possibility that you get to the SC and the car is not ready to charge?

Reactions: APotatoGod
so does the preconditioning mode have any user-visible effect?

It makes enough (fan?) noise that if you didn't know what was going on, it would be somewhat alarming. Still, it doesn't need a persistent alert.

As an aside, today I met a very new Model 3 owner who didn't realize it came with pedestrian noisemakers and was certain there was something wrong with the car the first time he put it into reverse.

It makes enough (fan?) noise that if you didn't know what was going on, it would be somewhat alarming. Still, it doesn't need a persistent alert.

As an aside, today I met a very new Model 3 owner who didn't realize it came with pedestrian noisemakers and was certain there was something wrong with the car the first time he put it into reverse.
Preconditioning doesn't run fans since that (cooling) would have the opposite effect of what is needed to charge. It sends extra power to the motors that is wasted/turned into heat. This extra heat is then pumped through the battery pack to help heat it up.

Preconditioning doesn't run fans since that (cooling) would have the opposite effect of what is needed to charge. It sends extra power to the motors that is wasted/turned into heat. This extra heat is then pumped through the battery pack to help heat it up.

Yep, that's correct.

I don't mind that it tells me that pre-conditioning started, but it should NOT be a priority message for the 15 minutes before you arrive at the Supercharger,

Reactions: APotatoGod
so does the preconditioning mode have any user-visible effect? is it reducing the range by heating the battery? is performance compromised?

meaning, what is the reason why they feel they need to put this in the UI at all? are they trying to prepare you for the possibility that you get to the SC and the car is not ready to charge?
I think it must definitely have an impact on battery drain, it's energy use more than just what driving the car not to a supercharger would use. I've had it NOT come on when I'm low and heading to an SC, so similar to things like SentryMode not enabling when the battery is below a threshold, it would seem that pre-conditionaing also knows not to engage when SOC is low.

mostly because folks asked to see it due to not believing it was happening.

@M3BlueGeorgia So as far as I can tell preconditioning for supercharging notice started in 2019.20.2.1, but the feature actually existed since 2019.7 as it was rolled out with Supercharging V3 to get the highest rate of charge. Pretty sure folks complaining that it wasn't working is why they decided to actually show the message on the screen. In the link below notice the date of the posts, before someone points out that is shows. Then notice when 2019.20.2.1 came out (around the same time someone said it shows on their screen)
On route battery warm up quesiton | Tesla

@M3BlueGeorgia So as far as I can tell preconditioning for supercharging notice started in 2019.20.2.1, but the feature actually existed since 2019.7 as it was rolled out with Supercharging V3 to get the highest rate of charge. Pretty sure folks complaining that it wasn't working is why they decided to actually show the message on the screen. In the link below notice the date of the posts, before someone points out that is shows. Then notice when 2019.20.2.1 came out (around the same time someone said it shows on their screen)
On route battery warm up quesiton | Tesla

Yes, I don't mind it telling me somehow that it's started preconditioning.

I object to it being a high priority message, competing for space with genuine high priority messages.

Yes, I don't mind it telling me somehow that it's started preconditioning.

I object to it being a high priority message, competing for space with genuine high priority messages.
Not a big deal to me but a way might be that the message come up and then dismiss. [wacky idea]Then the Charging icon/bolt turns red to indicate it is on.

IMG_2936.jpeg

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
It does minimize but if it is sharing space with another alert (such as the one I was getting over the course of two weeks while running with a spare tire), the new alert comes in full width, then the previously minimized alert will swap in at full width as well. The correct behavior should be present new alerts full width and respect user's choices thereafter.

Yep, its been moved to a better place. I agree it was the wrong location before but please don't just ask for less information! I for one want to know what's going on and Tesla is already hiding a lot of stuff in the name of making it mainstream acceptable. Leave some stuff to the nerds/geeks :)

Reactions: Gasaraki