Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling yoke replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
finally got mine done, with a little bit of assistance from “excessive wear”. overall looks good, love the new horn, but have some light leak coming from the top of the trim from the button illumination. tech offered to make another appointment to get another wheel. doesn’t bother me too much so i’m still on the fence about taking her up on it. anyone else have this issue?

finally got mine done, with a little bit of assistance from “excessive wear”. overall looks good, love the new horn, but have some light leak coming from the top of the trim from the button illumination. tech offered to make another appointment to get another wheel. doesn’t bother me too much so i’m still on the fence about taking her up on it. anyone else have this issue?
Not heard of that. Got a pic?

Not heard of that. Got a pic?
ya here ya go. it’s really not too bad. not visible when in the drivers seat. just something to look out for if you’re picky about stuff like that.

IMG_8121.jpeg

Reactions: Evee and zoomer0056
lol, unbelievable. Not that bad - in line with how Tesla fits its exterior body panels, but kind of terrible actually.

Imagine if you iPad or iPhone came with gaps and leaked backlight. Why can’t someone just put a QC fail sticker before this makes it to the customer?
I took apart a yoke so I could use the buttons for something else. I was pretty surprised when I found out the buttons aren't bolted or clipped to anything. They have posts sticking back into some foam that holds the buttons in place. Seems like the buttons weren't held in the correct position while the foam cured.

lol, unbelievable. Not that bad - in line with how Tesla fits its exterior body panels, but kind of terrible actually.
Sounds like Tesla. Fix two things, break something else.

Imagine if you iPad or iPhone came with gaps and leaked backlight. Why can’t someone just put a QC fail sticker before this makes it to the customer?
That someone was probably deemed non- essential very recently.

Reactions: Evee
ya here ya go. it’s really not too bad. not visible when in the drivers seat. just something to look out for if you’re picky about stuff like that.
I looked at my new yoke, and I also have a tiny amount of light leakage when looking from a very narrow angle at the side in the dark. I never noticed it until you pointed it out. It's not visible from any seating position, so I expect this is normal. A replacement is not likely to fix it. I hadn't noticed it on the old yoke, but never looked for it either, so it might have the same issue.

If you do not see it when driving, I would just let it go. No assurance your replacement yoke will be any better. Tiny bit of black sealant would make it go away. The horn placement would be much more important to me, and be grateful for the upgrade.
Na na na na, I don't hear anything, not gonna look .... na na na ... Also not gonna put a level on it to see if it's on right 🤪

Another improvement along with materials, stitching and center horn is thumb wheel temperature. The original yoke thumb wheels were always hot. Not at all on the new yoke.

Last edited:
Strange, my old yoke thumb wheels were never hot, not even with steering wheel heat on. Same as the new. Not sure what could cause that.
Yeah that’s odd. The one thing I did notice with my OG 2002 yoke is that sometimes when adjust volume it would go up and then back down. I’d only notice if it went from 5 to 4 etc when I let go. And since every volume notch is 1/3 of a full number I didn’t always notice it. I haven’t had that happen on the new yoke.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yeah that’s odd. The one thing I did notice with my OG 2002 yoke is that sometimes when adjust volume it would go up and then back down. I’d only notice if it went from 5 to 4 etc when I let go. And since every volume notch is 1/3 of a full number I didn’t always notice it. I haven’t had that happen on the new yoke.
Mine does this...I thought it was a me problem.