Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my battery S/N / Model #, mine was built mid December 2012 (Standard production 85Kw), took delivery in January of 2013, I have the "B" battery, but a low serial number, so it looks like they changed over in Nov/Dec 2012 or maybe a little earlier. I also had my annual service yesterday, lots of TSBs, with bolts and washers being replaced, pano roof creek fixes, work on pillar squeaking noises, steering wheel rubbing noises, wind noise from pano roof fixed, car is a lot quieter now. I was at the service center in Watertown for 6 hours. [Yes, they offered me a loaner multiple times, but I know how I am, I don't want to drive a P85+, I'd then be forced to trade mine in :) ]

FYI, to check your serial number, put the suspension in "very high" (assuming you have the air suspension), turn the steering wheel slightly to the left, then get on your back, the sticker should be visible, you'll probably need to clean the dirt off it to take a clear picture...

View attachment 39353
At the risk of being drummed out of TMC for lack mechanical aptitude, where exactly? I assume you mean to look in the left wheel well in the space created by turning the wheel a little left?

At the risk of being drummed out of TMC for lack mechanical aptitude, where exactly? I assume you mean to look in the left wheel well in the space created by turning the wheel a little left?

Look in the RIGHT wheel well toward the back side of the wheel. It pretty much jumps out at you on the side of the battery pack. You don't need to crawl under the car or anything.

WHY would it bug you? Guys, what has Tesla promised and not delivered on? You have access to the SuperCharging ability that existed at the time the car was made. That Tesla came in and upgraded their system later is of no consequence.....
''

Tesla may want to brand anything above 90kw as Super Supercharging (or similar). Then they could say that that early owners were promised Supercharging but not Super Supercharging.

We got our VIN #2844 on December 30th of 2012, and it looks like a December battery manufacture date and a likely 120kW charge capability, which we have yet to test:

IMG_0209.jpg

Mine is T13D. Manufactured 4/13. Based on that and others posted above, and matching some VIN conventions, I was guessing the letter is actually a month code. Also following VIN convention they may skip "I".

- - - Updated - - -

Now you guys are scaring me as I thought I was safe from "The Sig Curse". I have similar VIN and battery serial number around 9000-10000 as you but the battery part number is A! How about you? If the assumptions are correct then even relatively new deliveries may be supercharge limited. We need more people to post their P/N and charging data to figure out.

S85, VIN 9331, Manufactured 4/13, delivered 5/13. 13D is consistent with 4th month in 2013, e.g. 4/13.

VIN mid 8,000. Delivered 04-2013. Here's my label:

Zr7Ran6l.jpg

HY5mpjUl.jpg

Just putting out a theory... The 4th position is clearly after the year of manufacture, so production week/weeks or month makes the most sense. We've now seen 4 or 5 different letters... Could also signify which "line/station" the pack was built on, but more likely it's some type of a date code.

More evidence of it being a date code. My Canadian Sig (built at the same time as Doug_G's is:
Ruby_Bat.JPG

So another "A" stigmata and T12K, which I think is strong evidence of that 4th character being a month code. "K" would be November. The car was photographed by Tesla complete on the lot at Fremont in the first week of December 2012. The car was delivered on Dec. 20. 2012 (same day as Doug_G and many other Canadian Sigs).

- - - Updated - - -

VIN mid 8,000. Delivered 04-2013. Here's my label:

Zr7Ran6l.jpg

Wow, interesting outlier. Either we are wrong about the "A" vs. "B" or you are one unlucky camper. If the "A" and "B" are NOT indicative of the charging potential, then the only thing left is the actual serial number, which would be REALLY burying the distinction on Tesla's part. Not accusing, just very curious.

I believe VIN 2547 rolled off the line Dec 19, 2012, or perhaps a few days prior. Much like GeekGirls, I am a T12L Serial number with a B suffix in the P/N. This is consistent with L as the 12th month identifier. I have yet to visit a working Supercharger to see if I am limited to 90kW or not, but I will be testing this in a few more weeks when my local SCs come online.

ute6eget.jpg

I've noticed a pattern. The older batteries have no QR code on the left side. Also the bottom left says "1011721-00-A".

Examples here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...super-charging?p=536061&viewfull=1#post536061

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...super-charging?p=536338&viewfull=1#post536338

The newer ones with the QR code all say "1011721-00-B" on the bottom left side, no matter if the right side has an "A" or a "B".

People who have not made a note about the existence of a QR code and what the bottom left says should probably check and update their posts.

More evidence of it being a date code. My Canadian Sig (built at the same time as Doug_G's is:
View attachment 39395

So another "A" stigmata and T12K, which I think is strong evidence of that 4th character being a month code. "K" would be November. The car was photographed by Tesla complete on the lot at Fremont in the first week of December 2012. The car was delivered on Dec. 20. 2012 (same day as Doug_G and many other Canadian Sigs).

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, interesting outlier. Either we are wrong about the "A" vs. "B" or you are one unlucky camper. If the "A" and "B" are NOT indicative of the charging potential, then the only thing left is the actual serial number, which would be REALLY burying the distinction on Tesla's part. Not accusing, just very curious.

I am the other outlier and posted above. Unfortunately @ken830 earlier said he is stuck at 90kW. Ken, can you confirm your firmware is OK for 120? I will summarize in a table.