Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hardware upgrades are NOT in the service contract, sorry!

I just re-read my service contract and there is no mention of hardware upgrades! :scared:

I was certainly convinced the language was included there, but apparently I am mistaken. The language is actually on the web page describing the service agreements, where it shows this:

Tesla Service | Tesla Motors

Untitled-1.gif

I apologize for getting this one wrong, but I knew it was written somewhere. The fact that it's on the web site but not in the actual contract does not sit well with me. Ultimately Tesla is responsible for what's in the contract, and it would appear that the web site is selling a feature that's not actually mentioned in the document that describes the coverage. Oh dear.

Here is my label which is example of a new battery but with the "A" part number. Note my supercharging is 90kW limited by firmware 4.5 and would need others to check if newer A batteries like this are 120kW capable. If some new batteries are also 90kW limited, would that make the Sig owners feel better, or just prove the randomness and lack of communication?

View attachment 39361
Have you had your pack replaced? If you haven't, it's very odd that your label says it's an A part number, that was manufactured AFTER thousands of B packs.

Actually this is exactly like a MacBook Pro. I bought a 2012 MacBook Pro which was limited with a SATA 2 (150 MB/sec) and within the same month a friend picked up his and got one with a SATA 3 (300 MB/sec) interface. They upgrade the interface. Reason I know? We both replaced out HD's with SSD's and his was a lot faster than mine.

I atoll ill think everyone is making a big deal out of this. It's only going to amount to an extra 4-6 minutes of charging time and you're likely to have longer battery life charging at 90 kW vs everyone else charging at 120 kW.

Actually this is exactly like a MacBook Pro. I bought a 2012 MacBook Pro which was limited with a SATA 2 (150 MB/sec) and within the same month a friend picked up his and got one with a SATA 3 (300 MB/sec) interface. They upgrade the interface. Reason I know? We both replaced out HD's with SSD's and his was a lot faster than mine.
So, what if your friend bought his and got SATA 3, so you went out and bought one and it had SATA 2, then the guy in line behind you said his had SATA 3?

Have you had your pack replaced? If you haven't, it's very odd that your label says it's an A part number, that was manufactured AFTER thousands of B packs.

No it is the factory pack. I agree it is strange which is why I posted. However we need confirmation that indeed A means 90kW limit for sure, or a counter example of someone with a newer A pack like mine that gets 120kW.

I atoll ill think everyone is making a big deal out of this. It's only going to amount to an extra 4-6 minutes of charging time and you're likely to have longer battery life charging at 90 kW vs everyone else charging at 120 kW.

Yep, it is also common for them to source their SSDs and display from separate manufacturers. I was relieved to test my last laptop and find that I got the faster samsung SSD and higher quality display. Others paid the same price and got slower performance, and a poorer quality display. These kinds of things are very common in electronics as parts have to be sourced from multiple manufacturers.

Harris Ranch supercharger, 1am Sat Dec 21, 2013. Left Gilroy with 160-ish and arrived with 9 (I was watching the projected and going as fast as that would allow).
So, however briefly, an old 60 with 13k miles was able to break 100kW!

20131221_010045.jpg

About 10 min into the session a loud fan kicked in

[video]https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/117652442755920096803/photos/yourphotos?pid=5962881283204910770&oid=117652442755920096803[/video]

No it is the factory pack. I agree it is strange which is why I posted. However we need confirmation that indeed A means 90kW limit for sure, or a counter example of someone with a newer A pack like mine that gets 120kW.

When in 2013 did you take delivery? You may be on the wrong side of a fuzzy boundary. The S/N starts with 13D, per some theories that is the 4th week (A, B, C, D) of 2013. They may have still been making A packs then...

While most (all?) this thread is related to the 85 kW battery, I just checked my 60 kw (Jan-13) battery label, and was surprised to see that it's a 350V battery, where all the labels on the 85's are 400V. The 60 also has an "A" ending, but I expect being the very first 60, this might not relate to the 85's "A". I had thought the 60s delivered the same voltage as the 85s.

At the new Gilroy Supercharger stalls, I was able to get 101 kW at the start (@ 50 miles), but not 120 kW. Looks like 60's are using the newer batteries, but are limited due to the voltage. 120 * 350v/400V = 105 kW limit. I didn't note the charging voltage at the time.

When in 2013 did you take delivery? You may be on the wrong side of a fuzzy boundary. The S/N starts with 13D, per some theories that is the 4th week (A, B, C, D) of 2013. They may have still been making A packs then...

S85, VIN 9331, Manufactured 4/13, delivered 5/13. 13D is consistent with 4th month in 2013, e.g. 4/13.

My battery serial number starts with T13G, I ordered in June and took delivery in August of 2013. If the fourth position/letter specifies which two week period, that would mean the battery was manufactured some time in March. If we look at the letter as the month of manufacture, that would mean the battery was manufactured some time in July. The latter makes much more sense given it falls exactly between the time I ordered and when the car was delivered. Given the pace of production and shortage of battery cells, I doubt my battery was hanging around since March waiting to be installed in July/August.

Also, the -A and -B could refer to the battery enclosure and not the cells inside.

My battery serial number starts with T13G, I ordered in June and took delivery in August of 2013. If the fourth position/letter specifies which two week period, that would mean the battery was manufactured some time in March. If we look at the letter as the month of manufacture, that would mean the battery was manufactured some time in July. The latter makes much more sense given it falls exactly between the time I ordered and when the car was delivered. Given the pace of production and shortage of battery cells, I doubt my battery was hanging around since March waiting to be installed in July/August.

Also, the -A and -B could refer to the battery enclosure and not the cells inside.

Thanks, yes I concur. Also you can check the date of manufacture on the sticker inside your driver side door (there are two there, one up top and one on bottom -- one has the date of manufacture). I'm guessing it says 7/2013 (mine says "4/2013").

With more postings, we should figure out what the -A and -B actually mean before jumping to conclusions, I agree.

Tesla has a different way of selling card and a different way of releasing upgrades they need to make more clear. There are no 'Model Years' and you may be on the wrong side of the upgrade fence. It sucks especially as an early Sig customer but Tesla needs to communicate better that is how they release cars.