Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take you to get used to the stalk-less turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how turn signal stalks or gear selector would be confusing to anyone who has ever driven a car. Change doesn't always need to be bad but it should be done in a way that's an objective improvement over what it's replacing. It appears the capacitive buttons don't have the universal praise some think they do.
It’s my experience, jumping back-and-forth between my car and my wife’s car. I swipe up on my screen to go forward. The motion on the the drive selector is reverse. Swipe down on the S screen gets reverse, pull down on the drive selector on her car is forward.

Wipers are in different spots, auto pilot has different engagement: single tap on my right control wheel versus a double pull down on her drive selector. More differences than you would think. The differences between reading about them and switching back-and-forth between them in real life is quite another thing.

My wife isn’t big on change but says she prefers the control system in my car versus hers - go figure!

Reactions: zoomer0056
I realized it took me a year to be able to use the blinkers without looking down--at least in normal conditions (i.e., a non-turned wheel). I still have to find them on turned wheels and then think about which one to use when the steering wheel is upside down.

Still have to think about the horn--during emergencies I might hit it correctly about half the time?

Might also be taking me longer since I don't drive the EV near as much as the other cars...and then the worst part is when I start looking for signal/horn/wiper buttons on those cars' wheels. :(

It’s my experience, jumping back-and-forth between my car and my wife’s car. I swipe up on my screen to go forward. The motion on the the drive selector is reverse. Swipe down on the S screen gets reverse, pull down on the drive selector on her car is forward.

Wipers are in different spots, auto pilot has different engagement: single tap on my right control wheel versus a double pull down on her drive selector. More differences than you would think. The differences between reading about them and switching back-and-forth between them in real life is quite another thing.

My wife isn’t big on change but says she prefers the control system in my car versus hers - go figure!
Tesla took a lot of parts from Mercedes for the Model S so it's similar to at least some cars out there.

20240122_222417.jpg
20240122_222441.jpg
Hier mal eine kleine "Blinkertastenhilfe". Klappt sehr gut, da nun der Blinker rechts (zum Ausfahren aus dem Kreisverkehr) auch haptisch leicht zu finden ist. Ich komme damit sehr gut klar...

I've not driven a stalked Tesla (I have a yoked 2022 MSLR), but I read that pushing the stalk up is reverse and down is forward. That's easy to learn but is intuitively opposite and some may think it's confusing.
Looks like the EU might take care of this (for EU at least).

But I don't think it's too confusing. Mercedes has had it this way for I think decades. And others might too. Never owned a Mercedes but Tesla used many Mercedes parts early on.

Reactions: AAKEE
Looks like the EU might take care of this (for EU at least).

But I don't think it's too confusing. Mercedes has had it this way for I think decades. And others might too. Never owned a Mercedes but Tesla used many Mercedes parts early on.
That news organization is sensational. Strange, the start off saying Tesla won't gets its 5 star rating because of touch screen use. Then says:

"Euro NCAP announced that it plans to crack down on the “overuse of touchscreen” inside vehicles. The agency said that in order to get a 5-star rating, cars will have to have “physical controls” for “turn indicators, hazard warning lights, windscreen wipers, horn, and SOS features.”

But there is none of those features on the touch screen of a Tesla.

That news organization is sensational. Strange, the start off saying Tesla won't gets its 5 star rating because of touch screen use. Then says:

"Euro NCAP announced that it plans to crack down on the “overuse of touchscreen” inside vehicles. The agency said that in order to get a 5-star rating, cars will have to have “physical controls” for “turn indicators, hazard warning lights, windscreen wipers, horn, and SOS features.”

But there is none of those features on the touch screen of a Tesla.
They are counting the flat non-physical buttons on the steering wheel as not being valid for their safety rating I assume. So don't think that's sensational.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
They are counting the flat non-physical buttons on the steering wheel as not being valid for their safety rating I assume. So don't think that's sensational.
And I think Euro NCAP is right on this.
I don’t find the horn button without looking for a short while on the yoke, which is not good at all.
Had a truck + trailer running in from the side at speed just before me in a small roundabout. It was dangerous and very very rude not to reduce speed and not give way for me. Had to brake hard to awoid a crash.
Couldnt find the horn within > 2s and in a dangerous situation you need it slightly before a.s.a.p

Sensational for sure, that's Elektrick. None of the controls mentioned in the article are on the touch screen. Tesla has these controls on the wheel, not the touch screen.
Again, they aren't physical clickable buttons but rather capactive touch buttons. The old Model S had physical buttons and stalks. A physical hazard button that you didn't have to tap top wake up, wait, and then tap again. They do say 'overuse of touchscreen' but then also say 'physical controls'.

"Euro NCAP announced that it plans to crack down on the “overuse of touchscreen” inside vehicles. The agency said that in order to get a 5-star rating, cars will have to have “physical controls” for “turn indicators, hazard warning lights, windscreen wipers, horn, and SOS features.”"

So it matters how Euro NCAP defines physical controls and I think we can assume the touch buttons on the steering wheel don't count for them. So the article is not being sensational if the NCAP does intend to ding Tesla's safety rating for this design decision.

If Tesla is unable to sell cars in Europe due to these changes, what do people think will happen?

Will Tesla simply stop selling over there or add the necessary physical buttons to appease them?

I suspect Tesla will adjust like they did with the Swedish union.

Like most things about Tesla, this is ultimately a non-issue.

If Tesla is unable to sell cars in Europe due to these changes, what do people think will happen?

Will Tesla simply stop selling over there or add the necessary physical buttons to appease them?

They can still sell there, but they won't get a 5-star safety rating.

Reactions: dsm363

The EU is a large market so it’d be an incredibly stupid decision to ignore lost sales over $100 in parts or something. So the board would need to act if CEO didn’t.

But as pointed out above, they can still sell, it will just impact their safety rating. Which might impact sales though.

Last edited: